Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Model IM

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    New Model IM

New Model IM

Hi, All I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the IM series, and what are your thoughts on the machine?
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zaxxon's Avatar

Re: New Model IM

Great boxes. User replaceable PCDU, IMAGE TRANSFER, FUSER UNITS.

Superfast display, app for input output test. Internal z folder option, Remote control via WIM, automatic fw update.

Positive first impression.
    Please start you post with brand, model, problem.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    New Model IM

We have installed 4 of these so far. Set up isn't much different than the 04, the control panel is better IMO also the apps look a little different. As far as running I guess we'll see soon enough. For the average end user the difference are slight because you still have the classic apps. I'm sure we'll have bugs to work out like all Ricohs it's just a matter of time.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

So far so good. Lots of positive improvements. The new op panel is much more responsive. The consumables are very similar to the SPC printer models that have user replaceable components. Killing Java is going to be good in the long run. At least it is still an option for now for legacy apps.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

The new models look good but Ricoh tells our company that with spare parts that are easy to install, technicians will serve less and less (the customer will change them directly). I don't think so but what's your idea?

I work for a dealer, not Ricoh direct but it seems like they are trying to cut down on engineers. There has been some mileage disputes or something in some places, then the IMC range has user replaceable parts and the Smart Integration is meant to be only used by customers with video how to guides so engineers don't have to even learn about it.
    As for the IMC range itself I like how they are so far, put 1 out last week and putting 1 out today. Looking forward to seeing how they are although I'm not sure I trust most of my customers to change a PCU without hitting the drum against something and instantly ruining it!

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyb View Post
    So far so good. Lots of positive improvements. The new op panel is much more responsive. The consumables are very similar to the SPC printer models that have user replaceable components. Killing Java is going to be good in the long run. At least it is still an option for now for legacy apps.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    Do you sell Safecom? I have been told that Nuance will not be providing a SOP version of Safecom. We have a few big contracts with Ricoh/Safecom.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    New Model IM

Here's my take on customer replacing parts 1. They can barely load the paper correctly 2. Most of them can't follow instructions even the pictogram on the toner box 3. Lazy 4. Most don't have time to deal with the machine.......I could go on but you guys already know most of this. Hell most of the time I can't even walk them through simple task over the phone. Pretty sure this new series isn't going to put any techs out of work.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JDYAL View Post
    Here's my take on customer replacing parts 1. They can barely load the paper correctly 2. Most of them can't follow instructions even the pictogram on the toner box 3. Lazy 4. Most don't have time to deal with the machine.......I could go on but you guys already know most of this. Hell most of the time I can't even walk them through simple task over the phone. Pretty sure this new series isn't going to put any techs out of work.
    I agree, but we are seeing a definite shift in what Ricoh wants. We are seeing the older tenured techs being packaged out and replaced with young techs that Ricoh has no intention on advancing through a career path (the management actually said so). They seem to want a small number of experienced techs good at troubleshooting and the rest will be less-skilled parts changers/ toner mopper-uppers.

The new series will allow a guy like me to be replaced with two young guns who don't know $h!t from beans...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    New Model IM

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    I agree, but we are seeing a definite shift in what Ricoh wants. We are seeing the older tenured techs being packaged out and replaced with young techs that Ricoh has no intention on advancing through a career path (the management actually said so). They seem to want a small number of experienced techs good at troubleshooting and the rest will be less-skilled parts changers/ toner mopper-uppers.

The new series will allow a guy like me to be replaced with two young guns who don't know $h!t from beans...

That may work for a short time until you get that first sc 670 code. That's when you need a real tech with experience. Our company has had a hard time finding good competent techs. I finally have one now. Don't sell yourself short.