Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Model IM

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    New Model IM

Re: New Model IM

Too early to tell. Only have two of them out there. 1st impression is pretty good though. Set up is easy, and I'm a fan of the fuser/pcu/transfer lock levers, the screws hidden under paper tray to lock down side fences, and the new displays. I am a little skeptical about the statement (from Ricoh) of only being able to do Package updates (no more individual f/w files), but we'll see.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    Only package-fw HaHHH! Here in germany exist 5 or 6 fwu-files for this machine.
    Greetings...

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JDYAL View Post
    That may work for a short time until you get that first sc 670 code. That's when you need a real tech with experience. Our company has had a hard time finding good competent techs. I finally have one now. Don't sell yourself short.
    I can see Ricoh saying that with how many few techs you'll need you can just replace the BCU or controller board and still come ahead. Or some other equally stupid statement.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Hi, All I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the IM series, and what are your thoughts on the machine?
    I've put about twenty or so into the field... so far, so good. I agree that customers replacing pcdus, fusers and xfer belts ain't gonna happen. I really like the customer engineering tool but I have had to load latest firmware on all but two machines in order for the app to be able to load data to make it functional. Classic functions still available (thumbs up!). Not yet gotten service calls... fingers crossed... First impression is positive.

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    I've put about twenty or so into the field... so far, so good. I agree that customers replacing pcdus, fusers and xfer belts ain't gonna happen. I really like the customer engineering tool but I have had to load latest firmware on all but two machines in order for the app to be able to load data to make it functional. Classic functions still available (thumbs up!). Not yet gotten service calls... fingers crossed... First impression is positive.
    The maintenace rates you'd have to charge them to cover the cost difference between rebuilding parts and just throwing in whole assemblies would really make it a harder sell. Ricoh is already the most expensive brand as it is.

Edit: Just checked and at least for the IMC2000/2500 the fuser and fusing sleeve are same dealer price. Huh. Interesting.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    New Model IM

Nothing to worry about, customer will still feed tatty originals, paper clips etc into the DF & book a call.

We've all seen the daft things users do, I have heard car drivers taking their vehicle to their mechanic because of a warning light on the dash (screen wash low)

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kimi View Post
    Do you sell Safecom? I have been told that Nuance will not be providing a SOP version of Safecom. We have a few big contracts with Ricoh/Safecom.
    Java is available as an option plus you need extra 4GB memory card.

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    I agree, but we are seeing a definite shift in what Ricoh wants. We are seeing the older tenured techs being packaged out and replaced with young techs that Ricoh has no intention on advancing through a career path (the management actually said so). They seem to want a small number of experienced techs good at troubleshooting and the rest will be less-skilled parts changers/ toner mopper-uppers.

The new series will allow a guy like me to be replaced with two young guns who don't know $h!t from beans...
    And now with us having to install Remote Connect on the panels of the 04 series it also seems as though Ricoh might be moving away from Service/Supplies operators as well.

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Nothing to worry about, customer will still feed tatty originals, paper clips etc into the DF & book a call.

We've all seen the daft things users do, I have heard car drivers taking their vehicle to their mechanic because of a warning light on the dash (screen wash low)

I once fished a couple sheets of type K staples out of a SPDF. Customer didn't bother to mention that they had spilled staples while reloading the cartridge "thought they got them all." Would have saved a fair amount of time if they had told me in the beginning.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Wink Re: New Model IM

Quote Originally Posted by sturmtrooper View Post

Edit: Just checked and at least for the IMC2000/2500 the fuser and fusing sleeve are same dealer price. Huh. Interesting.
    I (cautiously) repeat...so far, so good.