Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

DF 3060 sporadically not detecting original

Must be my time for oddball issues. Customer has an MP 2852 that stops detecting originals in the ADF. Open and close the covers, power the machine off and back on and it sees them again, but if it sits for a time, it stops detecting them. Input check when working sees the change of state.

Tried swapping the sensor, ADF board, and even the original flag with a known good machine, and after an hour or so the problem is back. Sensor and board from the problem machine work fine in the known good box. Even swapping the entire ADF between machines (with original components in each) doesn't seem to make a difference. Any ideas where this Gremlin is living?

Sent from my BBE100-5 using Tapatalk

Re: DF 3060 sporadically not detecting original

Looks like I'm not the only person to see this issue. Here's two other threads on the same issue: Mpc3002 with no feed from ardf

I'm having another MP 3352 Doc Feed Problem...Doesn't see originals, sometimes

It sounds as if there has to be some kind of issue with this feeder. Bulletins? Parts updates?
    Last edited by rthonpm; 03-20-2019 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Additional post added

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Does it not detect the original at all or is the sensor's response on the original setting difficult?
    I've had a few times that the paper kind of the original is not stiff enough to activate the original set sensor well enough...
    Could also be electrostatic electricity, is the machine on a carpet floor?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

i found a couple of things in the past. Check that all screws that hold copier done is tight have seen the ones you use for alignment become lose over time. might be hinge that is miss up allowing to lift up enough just enough to not see it. is panel sound on. when you slide paper in to adf beeps. if you raise adf and slide paper in will not here sound. that way will let you know what direction to go in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    Does it not detect the original at all or is the sensor's response on the original setting difficult?
    I've had a few times that the paper kind of the original is not stiff enough to activate the original set sensor well enough...
    Could also be electrostatic electricity, is the machine on a carpet floor?
    Doesn't detect originals at all, and it's on a tile floor: no carpet anywhere near the machine.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Even swapping the entire ADF between machines (with original components in each) doesn't seem to make a difference. Any ideas where this Gremlin is living
    If the problem remains even with a known good DF installed, gotta be on the machine side. Here is a shot of the point to point. Looks like direct signals to and from the BCU with just a few connectors in between.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

If you lift the doc feeder (like to lay a paper on the glass) and go to close it, does the scanner lamp come on? I'm wondering if the doc feeder open/close sensor on the rear side of machine is faulty and not resetting? Or broken flag the drops into that sensor? There are two sensors on the rear side, one is attached to the frame of the machine (and is towards the left when looking from operator side)and can cause these symptoms, and the other is actually part of the Doc Feeder assembly and is right next to the right hinge (when viewed from operator side) this one also causes these symptoms (check the spring on it). Is there a message on the copier screen that says "Original left on exposure glass" or anything like that?

And I know on other models (maybe this one too), the "half-moon" actuator that the originals sit on can get stuck and the machine won't detect an original. Usually just have to remove and sand the posts and put a little drop of oil on each and put it back in. From the info you've given this doesn't sound like your issue.
    Last edited by FrohnB; 03-20-2019 at 08:00 PM. Reason: More info