Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C4503

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    C4503

Re: C4503

Quote Originally Posted by Coptech View Post
    I don't believe the speed change is from a motor change. It is by more efficient paper timing. Agree that probably more than one board would need to be changed to make it run at the 55 speed. I believe as mentioned, you have a 55 with the wrong front cover label or it is simply listed wrong in SP5907. Does it actually run faster or does it just identify itself as a 55 in WIM?
    I agree. I checked the parts catalog and there are not different motors listed. Since the motors are all stepper motors, the speed difference could be achieved by changing the step rate for the motors or by changing the gap between sheets.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    C4503

Quote Originally Posted by tufbnme View Post
    FU
    Ok, if you are saying that is not the case, fair enough. I can tell you that the speed regulation is a closely guarded secret at Ricoh. I have nerver heard of anyone being successful at changing the speed of any Ricoh box. If it happened on one of yours, it was probably an accident.

How did you notice that the speed was not right?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

i think you got the wrong guy if you think he is trying to cheat.
    From what I see of his history he is a straight shooter and i think you might have stepped over that line..
    If it was some newbie or someone with a checkered past i would think that..

the fact that he is reluctant to sell it as is should have rang a bell

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

"the fact that he is reluctant to sell it as is should have rang a bell"

Agreed. We had some several years ago where the wholesaler pieced different doors on the front of a couple. Ours was the reverse. The door said it was 45cpm and it was actually 35cpm. We ended up buying new doors and called it good.

Speaking of which, back in the analog days before Lanier was part of Ricoh. Lanier used to "recertify" copiers. They would take back 1 year old used machines and recertify them with new components and a new meter at zero again. We bought a few of them and sold them at factory recertified copiers. Every one was a dog. I felt we the dealer was screwed and it set a bad taste with the end user also.

If I was to personally sell the C4503, I would leave as is, the customer is not likely to actually do a cpm count. They are getting more than what they paid for. Or if you think the meters were tampered with, make it into a parts donor. I think that is where you would really get into trouble
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I didn't notice that the serial # had a mismatch. I am guessing this means the serial on the back panel is different than the serial on the meter sheet. Not a big deal, the rear panel was replaced that's all. If possible, just remove the serial plate, serial number is still in the machine. Believe me, been there, done that, the machine will code if the serial numbers on the boards aren't a good match. If it is showing a different model in the web interface, SP5907 is where you set the brand and model of equipment. Anyone can change the "speed" through here if they want. It just lists the machine as faster, doesn't make it faster though, that is not changeable that I am aware of.

I remember back in analog days, a few dip switches were all it took to make a machine run faster. We had some greedy sales wanting service to do it so our 35cpm could beat the competition 35 cpm. Yeah right, I'll do something illegal so you can buy a bigger Mercedes.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

I agree with most posters...looks like a set of covers were swapped.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

It is possible to change speeds, but it requires a new NVRAM, controller, and EEPROM, along with factory mode and finding the correct serial number to emulate. It is definitely not worth doing intentionally. I only know this because I had to clean up after a tech who somehow accidentally change the speed(no idea what he was thinking).

Quote Originally Posted by tufbnme View Post
    FU
    of, that is bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    of, that is bad!
    i meant oh, that is bad