Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scanning issue

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Scanning issue

Just wanted to post this to see if anyone else was having a similar issue and maybe knew what the cause was...

I had about 4-5 calls today saying they couldn't scan...either on an MP C3503 or MP C305...the fix each time was to delete the local account i created named "scans" that i used for the folder authentication and recreate the account...then everything worked fine.

Strange, anyone know why it might be doing this? I believe they were all running windows 10...i have them setup locally to scan to folder.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Scanning issue

Don't know why but had a customer that had a similar issue. At least once a month the computer would lose the information. Initially I was setting everything up manually again. Then I figured out all I need to do was delete the user and recreate the user. I then created a batch file that would delete the user, wait about 15 seconds then recreate the user and reshape the folder to that user. Left the file on the customers desktop and that is the first thing they do when the problem comes up.

Unfortunately the thumb drive that had that file got misplaced.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Batman1976's Avatar

FIRMWARE!!!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

If you created a local user, did you remember to set the password to never expire? If you don't check that box when you create the account in Windows, the password will expire after 90 days.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    If you created a local user, did you remember to set the password to never expire? If you don't check that box when you create the account in Windows, the password will expire after 90 days.
    I'll check.... Where do I see that option. I don't recall it prompting me to do that

It's only available in the Professional, Education, or Enterprise versions of Windows. Customers using a Home version of Windows in a business environment should be charged triple!

From a Run prompt (Windows Key + R) type lusrmgr.msc and then right click on the account you created and select Properties. If the password has expired the check mark will be in the option to change at next logon, so then just reset the password to the same thing it already is, and check the box for it to never expire.

snip_20190322135027.jpg

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

If one uninstall that windows 10 update from feb 2019 with regards to SMB scanning does the problem go away?
    I saw something on CTech but did nt follow up

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

B
    It's only available in the Professional, Education, or Enterprise versions of Windows. Customers using a Home version of Windows in a business environment should be charged triple!

From a Run prompt (Windows Key + R) type lusrmgr.msc and then right click on the account you created and select Properties. If the password has expired the check mark will be in the option to change at next logon, so then just reset the password to the same thing it already is, and check the box for it to never expire.

snip_20190322135027.jpg
    Slightly off topic, but Home versions of Windoze will drive you nuts.

I was bitten twice by just that before I learned to ask in situations where it could matter, most often when there is software installed, such as Autostore or GlobalScan.

There is more of it out there than you would think, especially in small business, churches, and such.

Normally it’s the IT newbies that go out and buy PCs locally, without bothering to check which version is included.

Fortunately, I think it’s a $100 cost to upgrade, and can be done quite easily through the Windows Store.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

The first thing we do when we take on a small business customer is make sure all of their machines are Professional. In the past, we made a good amount of sales either upgrading the OS, or by replacing the systems entirely: those $400 Black Friday computers are universally junk. For churches and other non-profits, we'll point them towards some of the discounts offered to nonprofits. They've been able to sometimes get OS upgrades for well under the retail price, if they have the proper documentation, mainly 501 (c) (3).

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    I'll check.... Where do I see that option. I don't recall it prompting me to do that

You can do it on windows 10 home through command prompt.

4 ways to disable or enable Windows 10 password expiration notification

I had to figure this out for a customer that has windows 10 home 32bit running on some poor dual core celeron.