MP402spf BLank lines on right side of copies

Just looking to see if anyone has come up with anything to help with blank line issue with mp402spf. After contacting support they said it was global issue in the hands of engineering. Their only suggestion was to go and clean the led array inside the machine. But seeing how this is returning in less than 24 -48 hours on multiple machines, this is not an effective solution. Any suggestions or things you all have tried and had some moderate success would be appreciated. On a side not this all started after a new drum installation or for machines just recently placed in the field in the last 30 days. So obviously this is some type of drum issue. Thank you in advance for any help.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: MP402spf BLank lines on right side of copies

Quote Originally Posted by ABrady View Post
    Just looking to see if anyone has come up with anything to help with blank line issue with mp402spf. After contacting support they said it was global issue in the hands of engineering. Their only suggestion was to go and clean the led array inside the machine. But seeing how this is returning in less than 24 -48 hours on multiple machines, this is not an effective solution. Any suggestions or things you all have tried and had some moderate success would be appreciated. On a side not this all started after a new drum installation or for machines just recently placed in the field in the last 30 days. So obviously this is some type of drum issue. Thank you in advance for any help.
    just because it happened after drum install, it doesn't mean it IS the drum...

did you run the init program for the drum?
    did you print out error log?
    did you check bias reading in SM?
    what about the transfer section?
    is the image good on drums?

Phil B. "The Dentist"

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

And yet another unsatisfying experience with the 402!! You are not the only one. Don't beat yourself up trying to figure out what to replace or add or why toner gets on LED. There's no way around it except to train the customer on how to clean every other day (which most think is completely unacceptable).
    The New IM430 series, is basically the same beast, BUT they learned from the 402 and added a "cleaning mechanism" to the LED array. Every time you open the door, the cleaning mechanism brushes the LED. Starting to get some of these sold in place of the Terrible 402's.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    just because it happened after drum install, it doesn't mean it IS the drum...

did you run the init program for the drum?
    did you print out error log?
    did you check bias reading in SM?
    what about the transfer section?
    is the image good on drums?

Phil B. "The Dentist"
    It was the support person on the phone that indicated it was a drum issue which was changed in design back in October to fix a different issue. But yes all setup was done since it does it automatically on this drum upon new installation. It is definitely getting blank lines due to toner on the led array for imaging. This is happening on brand new machines two days in the field. The machine in question I am working on has 4600 copies the drum was replaced due to the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    And yet another unsatisfying experience with the 402!! You are not the only one. Don't beat yourself up trying to figure out what to replace or add or why toner gets on LED. There's no way around it except to train the customer on how to clean every other day (which most think is completely unacceptable).
    The New IM430 series, is basically the same beast, BUT they learned from the 402 and added a "cleaning mechanism" to the LED array. Every time you open the door, the cleaning mechanism brushes the LED. Starting to get some of these sold in place of the Terrible 402's.

Just my two cents.
    Thank you for the heads up on this. I was wondering if the new model would have the same issue.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

If cleaning it helps briefly, then was dirty. Since it comes back quickly, check for toner or dust blow by somewhere near where the line is.

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post

Just my two cents.
    I agree..!!!
    There's jack you can do about it.
    Cleaning the led array works....sometimes..as does replacing the drum....sometimes.
    I've had two of these machines do this straight outta the box and could not be resolved so they were DOA back to Ricoh.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABrady View Post
    I know that dusting off old threads is not much appreciated here, but as I ran into this problem today, I searched here on the forum first to see if I could find anything, and this is the only thread that was talked about, so I am it seemed right to give it a well-deserved ending, even for those who, like me, clashed,
    I practically discovered that: as you all know, when you close the door, there are two lever mechanisms, made of plastic, one on the right, and one on the left that make the led array move closer to the pcdu window, well, it happened that the 'array did not approach homogeneously, so on the one hand, it remained slightly distant, and generated this problem, it was all that did not flow well.

Yours sincerely

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

These MP402's have turned out to be really great machines once the new drums are installed and the firmware is updated. No more blank sections or dusting problems.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If cleaning it helps briefly, then was dirty. Since it comes back quickly, check for toner or dust blow by somewhere near where the line is.
    Yes Slimslob is correct

Check under the charge roller - you may find the toner is collecting under it and tranfering back onto the drum, Have seen this many times.

Dave w