Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Scanning VIA Crossover Cable

I have read several forums but still couldn't quite get it figured out.

I am trying to scan from my MP C5503 to my Laptop via crossover cable. I am able to get it to print but everytime i go to scan it just sits on "transmitting". It never fails or goes to waiting. So my laptop is connected wirelessly and has an IP address of
    IPv4 192.168.1.68
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.254

I have the copier set to DHCP and it gets an IP address of
    IPv4 169.254.117.124
    Subnet 255.255.0.0
    Gateway 0.0.0.0

From this configuration it prints...i can access the WIM on my laptop through the copiers ip...and i can ping it in command prompt. But when i go to scan it does what i stated earlier.

I have updated the firmware and the machine successfully scans to my folder when it is also connected to the network through a network cable and i assign it the same exact ip configuratin as my computer stated earlier except the ip of the copier is .112

I tried using the computer name/Scans and also the Ip address of my computer /Scans for the path. I have the source scans folder on my C: drive.

If i manually enter that same ip configuration on the copier (192.168.1.112, 255.255.255.0,192.168.1.254) while connected through the crossover cable i can't get anything, no ping, no access through the WIM.

What am i missing/doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Scanning VIA Crossover Cable

I dont have any experience when it comes to running laptops straight to copiers and crossover cables but what I did notice in your post was you wrote computername/scans, when it would infact be \\computername\scans always using 2 blackslash's before it and 1 more separating each folder connection. So if you had a scans folder on your desktop and your computer was called engineer it would be \\Engineer\Scans
    Then you need to authenticate it with your laptop login name and password, set the sharing and advanced sharing etc same as network folder I guess
    Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    I have read several forums but still couldn't quite get it figured out.

I am trying to scan from my MP C5503 to my Laptop via crossover cable. I am able to get it to print but everytime i go to scan it just sits on "transmitting". It never fails or goes to waiting. So my laptop is connected wirelessly and has an IP address of
    IPv4 192.168.1.68
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.254

I have the copier set to DHCP and it gets an IP address of
    IPv4 169.254.117.124
    Subnet 255.255.0.0
    Gateway 0.0.0.0

From this configuration it prints...i can access the WIM on my laptop through the copiers ip...and i can ping it in command prompt. But when i go to scan it does what i stated earlier.

I have updated the firmware and the machine successfully scans to my folder when it is also connected to the network through a network cable and i assign it the same exact ip configuratin as my computer stated earlier except the ip of the copier is .112

I tried using the computer name/Scans and also the Ip address of my computer /Scans for the path. I have the source scans folder on my C: drive.

If i manually enter that same ip configuration on the copier (192.168.1.112, 255.255.255.0,192.168.1.254) while connected through the crossover cable i can't get anything, no ping, no access through the WIM.

What am i missing/doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!
    Set your laptop to the same ip scheme as the copier plus 1
    set the subnet and gateway same as copier
    Turn off your wifi
    Why are you trying to scan to your laptop?
    If you add a switch you wont need a crossover cable.
    If you get any step wrong scanning will fail.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

[google]
    site:wwww.copytechnet.com ricoh scan folder

Ricoh scan to folder using win7:
    hhttps://ricoh-kb-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/127866/p/6412/kw/scan%20to%20folder/region/us/brand/ricoh
    Action Capture
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Crossover cables haven't been necessary since windows 7 was introduced.

When you connect directly to the machine, the network will become 'public' rather than 'private', and the sharing settings are different. You have to enable file and printer sharing, & public folder sharing, etc. for public networks in network and sharing centre.

Other than that, the setup is identical.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Set your laptop to the same ip scheme as the copier plus 1
    set the subnet and gateway same as copier
    Turn off your wifi
    Why are you trying to scan to your laptop?
    If you add a switch you wont need a crossover cable.
    If you get any step wrong scanning will fail.
    ]
    Alright thanks all i will try these steps....yes i have the slashes correct and i have enable all the file/folder sharing. I am pretty comfortable with setting up scan to folder with a regular connection just had never done it with the cross over.

The reason i am trying this at my office is due to a potential customer that has an office with no ethernet ports yet they can access wifi from their laptops. So i am also looking into maybe getting a wireless access point or something else to bridge that gap. I tried a wifi range extender that slimslob recommended but couldn't quite get that to work.

So this office taps into wifi (weak signal to begin with) and there are about 5 users in that one office. So if i could get one computer setup to print and scan through the crossover cable, then that shared printer and scans folder would be accessible by everyone else in the room.

I'm open to other options, but regardless would like to at least figure out this scanning over the crossover cable for my own experience/knowledge.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

You still don’t need a crossover cable.
    what happened when you used a regular cable and the proper IP address?

NETGEAR WiFi Range Extender N300 | WiFi coverage up to 300 Mbps

you will need to setup a user and password on each pc

Or if you connect to Wifi setup scan to email and be done with it. Better option Email

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Get their wifi sorted first, is the router in another location, how is the MFP going to connect to their wifi router. You only need a normal patch cable to connect directly to MFP.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    Get their wifi sorted first, is the router in another location, how is the MFP going to connect to their wifi router. You only need a normal patch cable to connect directly to MFP.

I tried a range extender already and couldn't quite get it to work. It was weird, when the range extender worked all the sudden their laptops lost wifi.

Anyways, they are in some office space in a large church. The main server is in a different building across the way, they access wifi through what i assume to be a type of booster or range extender on the wall in the main hallway of their building. Then they are a good 100-150ft away from that. So their wifi in their room is spotty at best.

Further, they have no network jacks in that room and the church will not allow them to 1. Run a cable, drill any holes anywhere 2. get their own internet in that room. So they are looking to move into another location but it might be another year before that happens.

I will try messing with the wifi extender again and possibly get a wireless access point or a power adapter. Still can't get the scanning through the crossover cable.