Technician

MP C2051 "Extended Feature"

Hello.

I bought my Ricoh MP C2051 used, from a guy who was very eager to get rid of it, as reportedly its maintenance costed too much (???). Anyway, I am quite happy with this printer and thanks also to the help of people in the forum, I was able to install a used PostScript 3 SD Card in it last week and use it with my Mac too.

The printer came equipped with an SD Card containing Java. I removed it to install PostScript 3 and I noticed that, although the button for the "Extended Feature" had been installed, nobody actually ever installed Java. The button is there, but the printer simply beeps some sequence when I press it. The seller said he has no clue what the button is for and that he never used it.

So here is my question... What shall I do with Java for the MP C2051? Is there any software worth giving it a try? Most importantly... Is there some open source that I could load in the printer? I am a bit confused about what this "Extended Feature" stands for and what are the options available, which can enhance the experience with my MP C2051.

Thanks to whoever will shed a bit of light on this...

Re: MP C2051 "Extended Feature"

Extended fearures are mostly used for print copy control applications. Used in big offices where all documents are sent to a server and a user can go to any device and print from by logging in to the added software on the device. Equitrac and PCC, to name a few but theres many more

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by HitMan View Post
    Extended fearures are mostly used for print copy control applications. Used in big offices where all documents are sent to a server and a user can go to any device and print from by logging in to the added software on the device. Equitrac and PCC, to name a few but theres many more

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    So, considering that I use the MPC2051 in my company's small office, I most probably do not need this function. It would be nonetheless interesting to find some documentation giving insight on how to program a Java application that can run as an "Extended Feature"...

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

You can't just throw down some code in Java and make something run on a Ricoh machine. We have a team of software developers operating out of the branch I report to and I know that applications have to be properly signed to be recognized by our devices. Third party developers get special access to the signatures via an NDA when approved by Ricoh. Some of this may be changing starting with the IM series, but that I don't know yet.

Basically, if you don't have a need for a paid option requiring the Java platform then you are best to leave it off the machine. It will start up and shut down much faster. It will be more responsive in general and less likely to throw weird SC codes.
    Last edited by zed255; 04-15-2019 at 01:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rr8086 View Post
    Hello.

I bought my Ricoh MP C2051 used, from a guy who was very eager to get rid of it, as reportedly its maintenance costed too much (???). Anyway, I am quite happy with this printer and thanks also to the help of people in the forum, I was able to install a used PostScript 3 SD Card in it last week and use it with my Mac too.

The printer came equipped with an SD Card containing Java. I removed it to install PostScript 3 and I noticed that, although the button for the "Extended Feature" had been installed, nobody actually ever installed Java. The button is there, but the printer simply beeps some sequence when I press it. The seller said he has no clue what the button is for and that he never used it.

So here is my question... What shall I do with Java for the MP C2051? Is there any software worth giving it a try? Most importantly... Is there some open source that I could load in the printer? I am a bit confused about what this "Extended Feature" stands for and what are the options available, which can enhance the experience with my MP C2051.

Thanks to whoever will shed a bit of light on this...
    On a machine this old, the Java must be physically present in order for the Extended Features button to function. The PostScript SD card needs to be in the top SD slot and the Java SD card must be in the bottom slot. Of course the bottom slot is also use for firmware updates so Java need to be Stopped through the Extended Features before the machine is powered down and the Java card removed for operations such as firmware updates and APPLI Move. If there is another SD card in the machine, it needs to be moved to the PostScript card using APPLI Move. Due to Copyright protection, neither JAVA nor PS can be moved to another card. This is also why the card must be physically present.

One word of warning, if the Java card is removed without the Java function being Stopped, and power is then turned with the card absent, there is a potential of rendering the controller board toast.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    It will start up and shut down much faster. It will be more responsive in general and less likely to throw weird SC codes.
    If the Java card is present and in a Starting Up status in Extended Features, it can take more than 5 minutes before you can use anything in SP mode or User Tools except for the Counter.