Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh MP 7000 light copies, would you take this job?

Question Ricoh MP 7000 light copies, would you take this job?

As an independent tech, I try to avoid taking on larger copiers. I've got a long standing customer, has a Ricoh MP7000 has been under MA with Ricoh, but they dropped him. He stuck a label on the drum, I went out and got it off, cleaned it up and got it to pass a copy.

Now he's complaining about light copies, had him run a couple of toner add cycles and the image came back, but of course now it's dumping toner. I'm sure he needs a drum and developer change. I'm thinking the toner and dev filters, cleaning blade and brush and a "Classification Assy"? (<<<What the heck is that?) I'm going to quote him $800 to do that job with my tail light warranty. I warranty it until you see my tail lights pull out of your parking lot. It'll be another $650 to do a fuser rebuild.

Would you take this job? I'm very tempted to tell him no thank you....

Appreciate you input.

Robin

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Re: Ricoh MP 7000 light copies, would you take this job?

ID take any job on a mp7000............
    I would do a dev change,drum blade and drum mylar and all those seals that getting funky over time..

Your tail light reference makes you seem rather immature..
    EITHER DO THE RIGHT JOB OR DONT............

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    ID take any job on a mp7000............
    I would do a dev change,drum blade and drum mylar and all those seals that getting funky over time..

Your tail light reference makes you seem rather immature..
    EITHER DO THE RIGHT JOB OR DONT............
    I've been a tech, service manager and business owner for 39 years, I can assure you I am not immature. It's called a joke, ;-)

Your comment makes you seem like you don't have a sense of humor.

GROW A SENSE OF HUMOR OR DONT. ;-)

So if you have anything constructive to add, I'm all ears. Otherwise, move along.... :-)

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Not sure I'd get into one of these older boxes, and even less so if I were an independent tech.. They were likely dropped from service due to the parts no longer having 'assured availability'. We are at the point where the '01 series products will be dropping off service.

That said, if you don't skimp on PM items and keep them clean they can work well. They do best on higher coverage jobs of several pages or more. Low coverage onesy twosy will make it run dirty.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robinh View Post
    I've been a tech, service manager and business owner for 39 years, I can assure you I am not immature. It's called a joke, ;-)

Your comment makes you seem like you don't have a sense of humor.

GROW A SENSE OF HUMOR OR DONT. ;-)

So if you have anything constructive to add, I'm all ears. Otherwise, move along.... :-)
    I have better things to do than deal with "children'
    If you have been doing this for 39 years you still know little..
    A lot of end users read these posts and think we are robbing them anyway.
    SO when you make an immature comment you make me and the rest of the honest techs look bad..
    Plus maybe you need to stay with the 20 to 30 cpm segment a faster machine might just too much for someone like yourself.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    I have better things to do than deal with "children'
    If you have been doing this for 39 years you still know little..
    A lot of end users read these posts and think we are robbing them anyway.
    SO when you make an immature comment you make me and the rest of the honest techs look bad..
    Plus maybe you need to stay with the 20 to 30 cpm segment a faster machine might just too much for someone like yourself.
    plonk

I wonder what fshead stands for? I'm gonna guess it's F'ing Shithead :-D

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    Not sure I'd get into one of these older boxes, and even less so if I were an independent tech.. They were likely dropped from service due to the parts no longer having 'assured availability'. We are at the point where the '01 series products will be dropping off service.

That said, if you don't skimp on PM items and keep them clean they can work well. They do best on higher coverage jobs of several pages or more. Low coverage onesy twosy will make it run dirty.
    That was my thought as well. This customer is doing low volume and told me he'd rather not invest a lot of money in it. He's a good guy, I'd like to help him out, but not if I end up married to that machine.

I think I'll write a fat estimate and see what he says. :-/

Thanks for your input.

Robin

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Machine was released in April 2008. Once a machine is over 10 years, I don't recommend continuing service, simply because parts availability gets "iffy" at that point. Once you get that "No Longer Available" email after ordering a part, you've got a very expensive boat anchor at that point.

When I worked for a Canon dealer, it was nice that we could get a list of machines scheduled for parts discontinuation. Once we hit that date, we knew we were limited to what was on the shelves. iR C3200/3220 immediately comes to mind. Some parts carried over into the next generation....Fuser pressure roller bearings did not! We STILL had a bunch in the field when we got the NLA email, and the boss had to do a mad scramble to upgrade those customers, because the GM had renewed their service agreements without checking with the service manager (me).

Retired 10,000+ Posts

In all likely hood, the machine did not start throwing toner after they forced toning. It already was and that is why it was giving light copies.

The very first thing that I would do for a light copies service call is to check SP 3001-001. If it is high, the next thing is to pull out the PCU assembly and check for toner accumulation on the ID sensor and the cross brace it is mounted to as this will cause the ID patch to appear darker than it actually is. The result is the machine will under tone itself. If you do or have your customer do anything prior to getting the ID sensor properly cleaned and reinitialized, SP 3001-002, you are creating additional problems.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    In all likely hood, the machine did not start throwing toner after they forced toning. It already was and that is why it was giving light copies.

The very first thing that I would do for a light copies service call is to check SP 3001-001. If it is high, the next thing is to pull out the PCU assembly and check for toner accumulation on the ID sensor and the cross brace it is mounted to as this will cause the ID patch to appear darker than it actually is. The result is the machine will under tone itself. If you do or have your customer do anything prior to getting the ID sensor properly cleaned and reinitialized, SP 3001-002, you are creating additional problems.
    Great tip, I'll go check that.

Thanks!

Robin