Ricoh Aficio C5502 Question

Hello all. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help!

I am an IT contractor. I have a customer that had this machine for several years before it died. They were just going to throw it away but I offered to take it instead and try to fix. While moving this heavy thing, the finisher (SR3110 I believe) tipped over onto some gravel. I investigated with a multi meter and determined the power board was bad. I found a working, used replacement on ebay and sure enough it came back to life!

The only problem I have is with this finisher. The paper jams inside of it when I print. Now I'm no tech dummy.... but I took the panel off of this thing and I don't think I want to immerse myself into major surgery on it. When I power it on with the finisher disconnected, it will print and come out of the output tray beneath the scanner. However there is a nagging message and red light on the panel. Is there a way to uninstall the finisher from the machine? What the finisher does is amazing but I need the space and can live without the added features.

Re: Ricoh Aficio C5502 Question

Quote Originally Posted by Clayto1332 View Post
    Hello all. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help!

I am an IT contractor. I have a customer that had this machine for several years before it died. They were just going to throw it away but I offered to take it instead and try to fix. While moving this heavy thing, the finisher (SR3110 I believe) tipped over onto some gravel. I investigated with a multi meter and determined the power board was bad. I found a working, used replacement on ebay and sure enough it came back to life!

The only problem I have is with this finisher. The paper jams inside of it when I print. Now I'm no tech dummy.... but I took the panel off of this thing and I don't think I want to immerse myself into major surgery on it. When I power it on with the finisher disconnected, it will print and come out of the output tray beneath the scanner. However there is a nagging message and red light on the panel. Is there a way to uninstall the finisher from the machine? What the finisher does is amazing but I need the space and can live without the added features.
    You need to remove the bridge unit as well as the finisher as the bridge unit tells the machine to expect a finisher.
    It won't look pretty as there will be covers missing but it'll work just fine.
    Last edited by Oze; 05-08-2019 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    You need to remover the bridge unit as well as the finisher as the bridge unit tells the machine to expect a finisher.
    It won't look pretty as there will be covers missing but it'll work just fine.
    Two words: THANK you.

So this broken finisher. Does it have any real value? I plan on using this copier long-term rather than reselling it so would hate to hoard all this extra stuff.

You'd need to have a local Ricoh tech take a look at it to determine that for you.
    Never a bad idea to have the local Ricoh dealership send out a tech to assess the machine for you.
    You'll go on their books as a chargeable customer and when they asses the machine they can tell you how much it'll cost to repair the finisher and also whether there are any parts coming due for PM.
    You pay an initial call out fee to look at the machine but it's worth it if you plan to use this machine long term.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio C5502 Question

By the way, what was the jam code for the jam? Should be in the form Jxxx where xxx is a three digit number. Most finisher jam number will be J1xx. The number tells us which sensor detected the jam and whether it is a lead edge or trail edge jam. One thing I have seen frequently when an end user moves a finisher is that they use the cross frame members on the inside of the portion that goes toward the copier as lift points. If the cross piece that the entry guide mounts on gets deflected up as little as .1 inches, it can cause the guide to not align with the first of rollers and a jam will occur.