Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Re: Scan to email problem on MPC4503

Thanks All
    This customer like many others are of the mindset that once something"scan to email" was working that it should always be working
    and blame myself or the machine. This is a good account so I accept somethings i dont like.
    If I had time I would consider taking some online network support courses.

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    Thanks All
    This customer like many others are of the mindset that once something"scan to email" was working that it should always be working
    and blame myself or the machine. This is a good account so I accept somethings i dont like.
    If I had time I would consider taking some online network support courses.

Think of the copier as there new employee it needs it's own email address and account.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I have set up many accounts with SMTP2GO, including our own.
    You cannot use a cloud based email address for the authentication ( no gmail, hotmail etc) or it will do exactly what you describe.

When you set up the smtp2go, there is a dashboard showing the emails processed. log on and see what the issue is.

I have never had an issue in years using smtp2go, simple setup too.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    I have set up many accounts with SMTP2GO, including our own.
    You cannot use a cloud based email address for the authentication ( no gmail, hotmail etc) or it will do exactly what you describe.

When you set up the smtp2go, there is a dashboard showing the emails processed. log on and see what the issue is.

I have never had an issue in years using smtp2go, simple setup too.

NUTS use GMAIL ALL THE TIME!
    PS You should ALWAYS USE THERE EMAIL and SMTP PERIOD!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Scan to email problem on MPC4503

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    hi
    I am going back to accnt tommrw"40 min drive each way" so i want to be ready.
    I for some reason could not get both SMTP2GO and GMAIL to function and kept getting authentication failed.
    I will bring my laptop,created another gmail accnt with less secure app allowed and my new SMTP2GO log in name and password.
    I am going to try these on my mpc401 that i have in shop 1st..
    These customer just see a button to hit 4 scanning and dont care about all the stuff that could block emails and such..

Authentication Failed?? That tells me either user ID or PW are incorrect. User ID with gmail is the entire email address... (Can't speak to SMTP2GO), so try logging in from the customer's location to the gmail account on a laptop and see if you can get in. if so...like previously suggested, make sure 2-step verification is OFF, and "Allow Less Secure Apps" is ON.

PW with Gmail IS Case Sensitive....keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    NUTS use GMAIL ALL THE TIME!
    PS You should ALWAYS USE THERE EMAIL and SMTP PERIOD!

In a perfect world, I'd absolutely agree. Problem is, our world is NOT perfect, and most company's "I.T. Guy" is the nerdy accountant in the 4th cubicle on the left, or the Boss's nephew who "Took a computer class in High School"!! There's nothing wrong with configuring a Gmail account for a customer if they want scan to email capability, but don't have any "spare" email addresses to use. Besides, how many times have you come across a customer who has to change their password every 90 days... and on day 91 you get the "I can't scan to email" call?

Even if you tell them how and where to update the password in the copier when those changes happen, when they DO an update, they guy you told is no longer with the company!!

I PREFER setting up scan to pc, with a hidden user ID I create on the computer just for the copier (WITH the blessing of the company owner/manager of course). That user is configured to never expire, and customer can't change password. I don't get those calls anymore, unless they wiped their hard drive or got a new PC. This way they can scan to the computer, and use their desktop email to send. A lot easier to audit email from their computer, rather than being able to send right from the MFP.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    In a perfect world, I'd absolutely agree. Problem is, our world is NOT perfect, and most company's "I.T. Guy" is the nerdy accountant in the 4th cubicle on the left, or the Boss's nephew who "Took a computer class in High School"!! There's nothing wrong with configuring a Gmail account for a customer if they want scan to email capability, but don't have any "spare" email addresses to use. Besides, how many times have you come across a customer who has to change their password every 90 days... and on day 91 you get the "I can't scan to email" call?

Even if you tell them how and where to update the password in the copier when those changes happen, when they DO an update, they guy you told is no longer with the company!!

I PREFER setting up scan to pc, with a hidden user ID I create on the computer just for the copier (WITH the blessing of the company owner/manager of course). That user is configured to never expire, and customer can't change password. I don't get those calls anymore, unless they wiped their hard drive or got a new PC. This way they can scan to the computer, and use their desktop email to send. A lot easier to audit email from their computer, rather than being able to send right from the MFP.
    Configure a gmail account or any other the email by YOU opens up you and company to be sued.

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Configure a gmail account or any other the email by YOU opens up you and company to be sued.

That's why I have the customer do it. My momma only raised a couple of dummies, but I'm not one of them!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    That's why I have the customer do it. My momma only raised a couple of dummies, but I'm not one of them!
    Yes. If I go this road, I help the customer open the account so they have skin in the game and learn a little about what is going on in the process. When I do this I am normally billing them by the hour (if it's a redo that is, new installs not so) so they are usually thankful I am giving them the info for reference in the future to keep me from having to come back and do it again.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: Tech email account for testing.

You can configure a customers MFD with your own email address just for testing.
    You can easily confirm the MFD works with your own Tech email address first.

Set up your own test bed gmail account. Something like the following on a gmail server.

To : scan2email3@gmail.com
    Subject : test

The above will return and automatic response back to the senders email address.
    The return email response confirms the MFD works with outside access to mail servers.

NB. Just make sure you restore the original customer email details back to the MFD before leaving.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••