Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Ricoh aficio mp 2851 user auth error / no privilegies as admin help request

Sounds like your friend needs to contract a knowledgeable Ricoh technician to come and help sort this out. Scanning with devices is not that difficult unless you are not familiar with the correct operation. Just reading your descriptions of what is going on makes no sense and makes my head hurt. Good advice was given me years ago, stay in your lane Maybe when the tech comes out, stick around and learn something new and useful for the future.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyb View Post
    Sounds like your friend needs to contract a knowledgeable Ricoh technician to come and help sort this out. Scanning with devices is not that difficult unless you are not familiar with the correct operation. Just reading your descriptions of what is going on makes no sense and makes my head hurt. Good advice was given me years ago, stay in your lane Maybe when the tech comes out, stick around and learn something new and useful for the future.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I'll tell him to do that, I tried here to see if, with the help of the community, I could figure something out as far as I can. Since I don't, I'll tell him let someone in his area to take a look. Otherwise if someone want to aport a solution or experience about it, it will be useful for me in the future. Because I am in a new country nowadays and here, these kind of things, copiers and stuffs, it's something that I can do too.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh aficio mp 2851 user auth error / no privilegies as admin help request

First off admin and supervisor login is for accessing items in the User Tools and WIM only. They do not have permission the use any function.

User names in the address book are for setting fax numbers, scan to email accounts and scan to folder users. They are also used in conjunction with User Authentication to allow users (not administrators) access machine functions that are setup in User Authentication as requiring login. The login screen for those functions will appear when you select one of those function. It is also used to restrict print function to those who have an authorized User ID entered in their print driver. Through the address book you can also set things for each user such as their fax number, email address and path for scan to folder. For scan to folder you can specify whether to use the default user name/password or to enter one in the address.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    First off admin and supervisor login is for accessing items in the User Tools and WIM only. They do not have permission the use any function.

User names in the address book are for setting fax numbers, scan to email accounts and scan to folder users. They are also used in conjunction with User Authentication to allow users (not administrators) access machine functions that are setup in User Authentication as requiring login. The login screen for those functions will appear when you select one of those function. It is also used to restrict print function to those who have an authorized User ID entered in their print driver. Through the address book you can also set things for each user such as their fax number, email address and path for scan to folder. For scan to folder you can specify whether to use the default user name/password or to enter one in the address.

I had a very basic idea of all these things who you just described, but now i know how they exactly work, thats a good detailed thing you wrote there, its helpful, as i said, i'm looking to expand my knowledge as well, so i can do like multi-tasking as an former IT Tech.

So knowing that As admin user, I DO KNOW I CAN, AS ADMIN ONLY access and modify the User Tools, ithats the admin user functions, as you just described, to manage, modify, and set up any kind of configuration to USERS and ANYTHING ADDRESS BOOK RELATED,

and I do know, as ADMIN that I CANT access to copier functions unless i had previously set it up all from User Tools.

BUT. The main thing is that AFTER I CREATE A NEW USER (FROM ADMIN).

It wont allow me to log in, with that user i just created.

Example:

I go to User tools, make a new user, code 0002 with the following parameters:
    User name set to slimslob, code 0002
    Grand him permissions to Copier functions; All of them. Copy, Document Server, Scan. All of them.
    Set it up the Path of Shared folder, to the folder located in \\PC01\SCAN to slimslob, user code 0002.
    Set the User Authentication LOGIN to slimslob.
    Set the User Authentication PASSWORD to 123
    SAVE all the config i just made.

But When I try to login as slimslob, using Login:slimbslob password:123
    It says that the ENTERED LOGIN/PASSWORD its INCORRECT, and WONT LET ME LOGIN.
    NO matter how many users i create. No matter how many passwords combinations i set. WONT LET ME LOGIN
    I CAN ONLY LOGIN AS ADMIN / SUPERVISOR
    And thats the main problem. I've configured everything, But i cant access as user.ll Tomorrow i'll make some time and go to my friend's place to see if i can record you some videos and show you guys exactly what i mean.
    Because after testing all the things as far i can. IT still WONT LET ME LOGIN
    By that, I can only asume that:
    its because of corrupted ROM?
    Its because a bad manipulation of SP menu thing?
    Its because it needs a Firmware update?

I assume these things because it was bought USED. So I can only think that, the previous owner, put it on some messy configuration.

EDIT:

I DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT TELLING HIM TO HIRE SOMEONE ELSE TO DO THAT WORK.
    I TOLD HIM ALREADY, THAT HE MUST LOOK FOR A EXPERIENCED GUY IN THAT AREA, WHICH I AM NOT.
    BUT
    I STILL WANT TO LEARN ABOUT IT, AND SEE WHY THAT HAPPENS, AND HOW TO FIX IT. BECAUSE AS I TOLD, I AM LOOKING TO EXPAND MY KNOWLEDGE.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The user name and password you enter after setting folder must be the name and password for the computer the folder is on, not just a random one you make up. If the computer does not need a login it will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    The user name and password you enter after setting folder must be the name and password for the computer the folder is on, not just a random one you make up. If the computer does not need a login it will not work.
    Well I didn't knew that the computer login has to be a must have. That's a step that I would do later. But right now what I mean, it's the copier login interface, the one you enter in the copier itself. Not in the scan folder set up, but in the copier I mean, top right corner, login button, when you touch it (or using the login button they the copier has) that is the thing I don't get to work. The login authentication on the copier, not in the shared folder thing.

Like when you login as admin in the copier, well, I can not login as user after having correctly created one.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The login button is only for admin and supervisor login, to make changes in user tools.
    Read the user manuals.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zzluis12 View Post
    Example:

Grand him permissions to Copier functions; All of them. Copy, Document Server, Scan. All of them.
    Set it up the Path of Shared folder, to the folder located in \\PC01\SCAN to slimslob, user code 0002.

It says that the ENTERED LOGIN/PASSWORD its INCORRECT, and WONT LET ME LOGIN.
    NO matter how many users i create. No matter how many passwords combinations i set. WONT LET ME LOGIN
    I CAN
    these are apples and oranges
    the user name and password for folder authentication when scanning have nothing to do with Admin and Supervisor login

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zzluis12 View Post
    Example:

It says that the ENTERED LOGIN/PASSWORD its INCORRECT, and WONT LET ME LOGIN
    That is because the login screen for individual functions will only appear on said screen if and only if that function is set to require a login through User Authentication.

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Maybe the User Authentication Management was enabled and instead of User Code Authentication, Windows or LDAP could have been enabled.
    Aye! Cut the crap