Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ricoh aficio mp 2851 user auth error / no privilegies as admin help request

Hello guys, my name is Luis, im an IT guy, many years of experiences, but not that good at printers / copiers... So i hope you can help me with this one and guide me in the right direction.

I got a call from a friend who started a Library thing, so he has a Ricoh MP2851, he wanted to share his Ricoh into network, so other computers can access to it, and be able to print, and scan. So i did. plug some cables, install drivers, configure them in Network, not a big deal, something im used to... but here comes the complicated thing;

I can scan, and print from the computers in the networks, but that friend of mine told me that, sometimes he needs to scan a whole entire book, and doesn't want to put book in the scanner, go to computer, scan, go back, flip the book page, go to computer, scan... and that repeatly thing.

I just configured the printer / scan in his computers S.O (Windows) itself. Didn't touch any of the copier configuration, which is an area that im really used to do, but as an IT its easy to me to understand these or any kind of systems...

So i did, i went throught the menu, set an ip address, a shared folder in network, he has a domain and hosting, so i were able to configure the SMPT, test the conections, ping command, and everything seems to work fine... BUT when i tried to Scan, pressing the button in the copier, and then Start, It does NOTHING. which is where i didn't knew what to do.

He bought it used from a guy, so it had preview config and stuffs, he only had access to User auth from the previous owner, not admin/supervisor auth... So as someone who knows about systems, i read some stuffs online, mostly here, and figured out, that i had to grand privilegies, to the user, who claims that he never managed the Scan thing from copier to work correctly (from the copier interface), but he did it, scanned throught computer directly, using a digitalizing software.

I tried to access to the admin thing. admin/blank, and it says password was wrong, i asked if he do know something about the admin credentials, he said nope, so reading things here, i was able to reset the admin password from SP

Quote Originally Posted by terramobil
    To delete all customer Data, execute
    Fax SP 5101 and 5104 and
    System SP 5801-004 to 5801-021, 5816-209 (@remote data), 5832-001 (HDD Clear), 5853-001 (stamp data), also in
    Spezial SP (Login with143) 5846-046 (Admin passwords)

This procedure will not reset counters, registration data etc.To delete all customer Data, execute
    Fax SP 5101 and 5104 and
    System SP 5801-004 to 5801-021, 5816-209 (@remote data), 5832-001 (HDD Clear), 5853-001 (stamp data), also in
    Spezial SP (Login with143) 5846-046 (Admin passwords)

This procedure will not reset counters, registration data etc.
    So i reset the admin password. or that i think thats what i did, to be honest.
    (Login with143) 5846-046 (Admin passwords)

Reboot the copier, turned on, and prompts thad i had no privilegies (as starter user) to use copy functions, scan, any other thing, etc.

So, back from the start, i knew that i had to create a user and grant him privilegies, which i couldn't do before, because i had no access to admin user.
    Logged in as admin/blank, worked now, i created a new user in the booking address, put his auth login info, admin2/blank, because i was testing and stuff, it seems to save, created correctly, but when i try to log-in as that new user that i just made, it says the User Auth failed? because of a wrong password?

So i went throught the web magnament thing, the user was there, tried to change his login details from the web magnament instead of the copier itself, and still nothing, whenever i tried to login, it says Auth Failed, after getting into a dead end, logged as admin, i disabled the user auth stuff. The log-in button thing in the display of the copier dissapeared, and Right now, i am able to access to the Scan UI thing, when i press the Scanner Button in the copier.

But when i hit the Start button, it does nothing, so i dont know what to do, as i need the scan thing to work out, in order to set the destination of how to send these folders, in any mean, being SMB, or SMPT (from the hosting he has) like to scan a whole book in the copier itself, and dont be like go to pc, scan, flip book page, go to pc scan... and repeat SO...

I told him, that in what my knowledge concerns, the failure must be some kind of bad configuration from the previous owner, maybe disabled the Scan thing via SP Service menu, that maybe replacing the SD card thing could fix it / maybe a ROM update could fix it (i wanted to try that Firmware thing, but didn't found any)

What do i do? As an intending to help that friend of mine with his library thing, i ended like a tech that doesn't know what to do, but w/e, you learn everything new everyday, and thats why i am here, hoping that some experts in the area point me into the right direction, and suggest me how to fix that, maybe someone experienced something like that, idk, but i'll be glad to hear you out.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this,
    Hoping that someone can help me out with this
    Cheers.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Re: Ricoh aficio mp 2851 user auth error / no privilegies as admin help request

Quote Originally Posted by zzluis12 View Post
    I can scan, and print from the computers in the networks, but that friend of mine told me that, sometimes he needs to scan a whole entire book, and doesn't want to put book in the scanner, go to computer, scan, go back, flip the book page, go to computer, scan... and that repeatly thing.
    If I am understanding you correctly, just use the document server on the machine. It will scan and store files onto the copier HDD for printing access anytime you want.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

when you press scanner button make sure folder tab is selected on display and it will show any user that has been setup in address book. then select user and then start. to let you know that on computer need to create a local user then make a share folder on c;drive and make sure that local user show up in sharing and security tab and have full permission. then on copier go through web monitor using ip address of copier log in default is user admin and password is blank. then look for address book. click on add user then scroll down to folder autho. enter user and password then scroll down to folder and in path enter scan folder path. if you search on this website you can find better instructions on setting up a scan folder. One note this copier uses smb1 protocol unless it had a firmware upgrade to use smb2/3.

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    If I am understanding you correctly, just use the document server on the machine. It will scan and store files onto the copier HDD for printing access anytime you want.
    Yes, i tried that, and it does work when it comes to print a digitalized thing* But still need to be able to share it by anymeans to get it in a PC, to keep it, as most people, scan a whole book, and want it as PDF... As there is no option to send the files from HDD Copier to the PC, that wont work for me... At least i didn't find any option like that, from Document server. If so, is possible to access to Document Server from PC / Web thing?

Quote Originally Posted by COPIERMAN View Post
    when you press scanner button make sure folder tab is selected on display and it will show any user that has been setup in address book. then select user and then start. to let you know that on computer need to create a local user then make a share folder on c;drive and make sure that local user show up in sharing and security tab and have full permission. then on copier go through web monitor using ip address of copier log in default is user admin and password is blank. then look for address book. click on add user then scroll down to folder autho. enter user and password then scroll down to folder and in path enter scan folder path. if you search on this website you can find better instructions on setting up a scan folder. One note this copier uses smb1 protocol unless it had a firmware upgrade to use smb2/3.
    It wont allow me to select a folder or any item while in there, I did shared a folder throught network, set them privilegies (at windows, allowing read/write permissions on the folder) But the thing is, that after i add a user into the address book, and granted that user authorization for scanner/all functions, etc. I try to login, and it says password its incorrect...

I mean, i made (in address book) like anyuser:blankpassword.
    When i try to login in anyuser:blankpassword, it says its wrong, and wont allow me to login in the copier itself.

I saw a video today about a guy entering in the System SP Thing, and he pressed like a button to log-in as developer, haven't tried that because i dont know if that will grant me like permissions as developer, in the video the guy just select the option and thats all, doesn't explain anything.

This is the youtube video that i saw with that developer, but i dont know if that will do something about

YouTube

The thing its basically that whenever i create a user, when i try to login, it says the login information its incorrect, while i set up all, but still says like its invalid.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zzluis12 View Post
    I mean, i made (in address book) like anyuser:blankpassword.
    When i try to login in anyuser:blankpassword, it says its wrong, and wont allow me to login in the copier itself.
    That last version of Windows OS that I know of which supported scanning without a password was Windows 98.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Sounds like you have no idea what the machine can do, press scan - store then go to pc browse the machine go to document server, select file and download. Do no t use document server button.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Too bad that Scan to memory device was not introduced until the MP 2852 because that is exactly what your friend needs.

Has your "friend" contacted an attorney to determine the legal aspects of copying the entire contents of a book to electronic media. The book publisher(s) just might take legal action to stop you.

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Ok let me be the first to complain about you messing around in service mode.

You really should not mess around in service mode if you are not a trained tech. The developer initial setting for instance has nothing to do with developer (software God mode) and everything to do with a physical part in the machine.

So far it appears that you haven't cleared anything important yet but I assume the next step when clearing user data etc unsuccessfully is to just quickly try a full memory clear.

Log a call and get a tech out if you run into issues, how would you feel if your friend at the library calls you saying his PC stopped working because he had a issue logging in and after watching YouTube vids and checking forums he messed around in powershell and regedit. It's the same thing.

Now with that off my chest I would recommend installing the twain driver (available from ricoh-support website) for that specific model and using a program like scanwiz or whatever you like to do scanning in the meantime till you can get scan sorted out on the device.

You're description of the exact problem with the scanner is a bit unclear. When you say you hit scan but nothing happens do you mean the scanner function does not start up at all? Or it does start up, you select the scan destination hit start button and nothing happens, or hit start it scans the document but comes up with an error/failure?

*EDIT* After my rant I could focus beter and read OP again and you say you can access scan feature but nothing happens when you hit start.

Silly question but does the destination the folder you created for scanning show up on scanning screen? Destination has to be selected because there is no single default scan setting on these devices. And as someone else mentioned earlier if it is not showing the destination as an option make sure you are in the correct tab (folder or email)

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8T2 View Post
    Now with that off my chest I would recommend installing the twain driver (available from ricoh-support website) for that specific model and using a program like scanwiz or whatever you like to do scanning in the meantime till you can get scan sorted out on the device.
    Did you actually read the third paragraph of his original post??

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    That last version of Windows OS that I know of which supported scanning without a password was Windows 98.
    Yes i know, what i mean, not it windows, but in the copier itself, when you create a in the copier book address. I do make a new user, but when i try to login, it says user/password its wrong, even after i made one like 5sec before.

It ONLY allows me to login as admin using a blank password. Which is the one who comes by factory.

As Admin, when i login, it prompts that i dont have privilegies to scan/copy or most of the functions, thats when i was trying to create a new user, different than admin, where after i add permissions, i need to test out if it works. The point its that it wont allow me to log me in by anything than Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    Sounds like you have no idea what the machine can do, press scan - store then go to pc browse the machine go to document server, select file and download. Do no t use document server button.
    To be honest i really didnt knew what machine can do. My service finished after all the computers in his network were able to print and scan, sharing them in windows and stuffs, not a big task, Now when it comes to the copier, which is not really my area, as a IT, i got an idea of they should work, so after reading stuffs, and documenting myself about it, it has the function to save the files in the computer, or sending via email using SMPT.

But, as i said, when i go to the Scan inteface (after pressing the Scan button on machine) and pressing START button in order to the copier start the scan, it does nothing. I can not select FTP, SMPT, or shared folder options, config thing, it doesnt allow me to do that, because i lack of permissions as Admin User.

Thats the reason because i created a user, and grant that user permissions to edit that config, setting it up in address book.
    But after creating a user, IT DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO LOG-IN IN ANYTHING THAN ADMIN, IT SAYS USER/PASSWORD ITS WRONG.

So basically my problem is, WHY it wont allow me to log in in a user i created in address book. Says like its wrong, but i created and configured it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Too bad that Scan to memory device was not introduced until the MP 2852 because that is exactly what your friend needs.

Has your "friend" contacted an attorney to determine the legal aspects of copying the entire contents of a book to electronic media. The book publisher(s) just might take legal action to stop you.
    As far he told me, its mainly for guides for university students, and these kind of book-guides that they use at they school or thing, honestly i dont know if he had cases like with a books with copyrights that can put him in a trouble... As a frustrated tech right now i just want his copier to work correctly, and as a professional, i suggested him indeed, that he can get in troubles if he start to copy and distribute these things without the book publisher concerns, or anything that its copyrighted. But its really all up to him.

he is a friend of mine, but he is paying me for the service, which was installing drivers, configuring, sharing the printers and the copier, to make them work correctly in network with the computers he has. My service as a IT was completed, because it was a Windows thing. Now when it comes to the copier, its an additional thing that i dont know how to do it, because its some kind of messy config with it. thats why i am here, because its not really my area when it comes to hellycopiers

Quote Originally Posted by 8T2 View Post

*EDIT* After my rant I could focus beter and read OP again and you say you can access scan feature but nothing happens when you hit start.

Silly question but does the destination the folder you created for scanning show up on scanning screen? Destination has to be selected because there is no single default scan setting on these devices. And as someone else mentioned earlier if it is not showing the destination as an option make sure you are in the correct tab (folder or email)
    It does not allow me to select in the copier interface the destination from where i want it to be stored, being these methods, shared folder in computer, or SMPT. When i press the start button, nothing happens. And i cant configured them, because i lack of permissions (as admin user) to do it. When i try to login with any other user that i just made it says its wrong auth, like if the password were wrong or something...