Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

MPC4503 color matching to MPC4500

I dont have much hope, but I have a customer with both an old MPC4500 and a newer MPC4503. The color output on the mpc4500 is what they have become used to. The MPC4503 printer much close to what is on the screen. Anyone have any pointer for making the new machines look like an old machine? The main color issues are the grays need to be more brown, and the purples need to be less blue. I have been trying driver tweaks but have not had any luck so far.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: MPC4503 color matching to MPC4500

Quote Originally Posted by tinalt View Post
    I dont have much hope, but I have a customer with both an old MPC4500 and a newer MPC4503. The color output on the mpc4500 is what they have become used to. The MPC4503 printer much close to what is on the screen. Anyone have any pointer for making the new machines look like an old machine? The main color issues are the grays need to be more brown, and the purples need to be less blue. I have been trying driver tweaks but have not had any luck so far.

So... they've "gotten used" to bad color, and they want you to adjust the better quality output machine to match the bad one?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Many years ago we had a copier tech named Israel. He went by the nick name of Izzy. He was the primary color tech. He liked to play around with all the Gamma settings, we referred to it as Izzyfying a machine.

You do not want to Izzyfy a machine. It complicates future trouble shooting of CQ problems.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Many years ago we had a copier tech named Israel. He went by the nick name of Izzy. He was the primary color tech. He liked to play around with all the Gamma settings, we referred to it as Izzyfying a machine.

You do not want to Izzyfy a machine. It complicates future trouble shooting of CQ problems.
    Absolutely. I have learned this the hard way. The color on these business color machines "is what it is". I have also learned not to even attempt to calibrate the color (user tools, maintenance) unless everything is absolutely PERFECT. Perfect Fuser, pcdu, transfer belt, laser and scanner optics spotless. Even then it is an absolute crap shoot as to how the color reacts afterward. I generally don't EVER calibrate, if the machine is used in parameters of its design, it doesn't need it.

Ironically I had a customer complain exactly as this customer has. They had a MP C2550 and went to a C2503 and the color was so much bolder, they hated it and we ended up swapping in an older reman 3002 to make them happy.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

The basic rule is different engine, different output.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Technician

Does the color change by printing with thick paper rather than with plain paper? I had a similar problem with an MPC3003 that printed faded colors using thick paper, while the same print on a MPC2800 looked better. Sorry for my bad english

I had a similar problem where they had maybe mpc 4500 or something and we put in mpc 3002. The main problem was I did the whole install then he said on the rpcs driver there used to be an option to do something like CAD printing, but the new machine was on pcl 6 driver and didn't have that option. Because of this colour and stuff was out to his designs.
    In the end I already knew, different machine so different colours... but luckily we kept the old driver about so I set new printer up as if it were the old machine, same IP address and gave it to old mpc4500 rpcs driver. He did his CAD option and printed a page and hey look at that it was suddenly very similar to what he was used to.
    This may not apply to you BUT if you put it on the old driver they use with the 'colour they are used to' you may actually notice a bit of a difference. Now it's not going to come out exactly like they want it but it will be closer to what they want and just enough to make them go 'yeh we can live with this'
    Do not staret altering advanced functions, trying to colour match and fiddling with settings on the machine, as already noted in here you will cause eve more problems down the line.
    Do not izzyfy a machine

The most that I'd be doing is changing the driver setting from vector to raster...and that's it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Had a quick trip in the Wayback machine and found this RTB.
    Might help, might not, haven't tried it myself.20190521151542027.pdf
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    Loaded this colour-profile once on a METIS for testing - forget it. Normaly our RICOH-office machines have a redcast, with the profile mentioned in the rtb the colours are fading away. The colours look like there´s too much gray, flesh/face-tones look as they belong to zombies. After some testprints i throw the profile from the machine. The original "profile" looks much better / livier.
    Greetings...