Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MP C305 - SC899 Will not go away (not connected to network).

Hey guys,
    Got an issue with a C305spf that throws sc899 codes randomly multiple times a day, and usually while I was there, it would pop the code upon restarting machine. Was a used machine that we sold to a new customer. This machine is NOT hooked up to a network. Customer uses it strictly for copying.

So far we have tried:
    - Memory Clears for Printer/ NCS/ Web/ Scan/ fax (in case of previous customer BS)
    - HDD format
    - Reflashed F/W (latest and greatest)
    - Uninstalled @Remote (not being used anymore for this machine - not hooked up to network).

Was able to get it to not pop the code after removing a "Camera Direct Print" card, and it lasted over a month without throwing the code, but alas, it has returned. Anyone got any ideas before I go for the HDD and Controller?

Thanks in Advance

EDIT: Customer Just sent me pictures of when it does it, and she gets a "Cannot connect to DHCP" message and then displays IP address, and contact admin, and then shortly after throws the code, she says "Usually when feeding through ADF". Even after doing the memory clears and HDD format, and NOT having it hooked up to internet, why would it be showing the DHCP/ IP Address issue?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: MP C305 - SC899 Will not go away (not connected to network).

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Hey guys,
    Got an issue with a C305spf that throws sc899 codes randomly multiple times a day, and usually while I was there, it would pop the code upon restarting machine. Was a used machine that we sold to a new customer. This machine is NOT hooked up to a network. Customer uses it strictly for copying.

So far we have tried:
    - Memory Clears for Printer/ NCS/ Web/ Scan/ fax (in case of previous customer BS)
    - HDD format
    - Reflashed F/W (latest and greatest)
    - Uninstalled @Remote (not being used anymore for this machine - not hooked up to network).

Was able to get it to not pop the code after removing a "Camera Direct Print" card, and it lasted over a month without throwing the code, but alas, it has returned. Anyone got any ideas before I go for the HDD and Controller?

Thanks in Advance

EDIT: Customer Just sent me pictures of when it does it, and she gets a "Cannot connect to DHCP" message and then displays IP address, and contact admin, and then shortly after throws the code, she says "Usually when feeding through ADF". Even after doing the memory clears and HDD format, and NOT having it hooked up to internet, why would it be showing the DHCP/ IP Address issue?

have you tried clearing the IP settings if they are set to static? and perhaps turn off DHCP. that's weird that it gives the error while making copies. since the IP info is network related. perhaps that just when they see it when they walk up to make copies? when you did the HDD format did you do any type of backup and restore? maybe that import the issue back into the system. never done that on a ricoh before, just shooting in the dark on that one, as i have seen it on other brands.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post

Most of the machines will do this (Show"Cannot connect to DHCP") when the machine is set to DHCP on but not hooked up to a network. We usually remedy this by turning DHCP off and putting in a random IP if needed. As far as the error code I can not help there.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Just because you did not hook it up to the network does not mean that someone at the customer didn't.

Download the most recent firmware history bulletin and search for the error code.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I had the same problem with this machine. My machine only did this once a month. Did everything you did. Ended up replacing the HDD, haven't heard from them in almost a year.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Look at the detail file name in service mode SP 7404 001 which will point you in the right direction..
    ie
    if the file name is PCL then you know its a print issue...
    if the file name is fax then you know its fax issue and so on..
    many of the names are abbreviated.

UPDATE: Just went back to customer's site, and did the NCS and Web Service memory clear and HDD format again (No Go - Still got the IP/DHCP message). This did however, clear out nearly everything "network related" except for a SYSLOG server?? On the last page of the config. page it says "Loopback started with IP <Syslog IP #>. Why doesn't this IP addy clear?
    Also noticed DHCP = ON and WINS = ON and IPv6 Stateless = Active. So I turned DHCP/ WINS to OFF and IPv6 to Inactive, but the message came back on the screen.
    Finally, I just went into SP 5-985 and turned NIC to OFF because the machine never has been and never will be plugged into a network jack at this customer location. Message is now gone, and (knock on wood), SC899 didn't come back. Time will tell now.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Angry Re: MP C305 - SC899 Will not go away (not connected to network).

Just in case the SC899 should rear it’s ugly head again...

When you updated the firmware, did you update the Java, too?

Even though nothing is using it, it still makes a difference.

Seems that this model gets its kicks by throwing SC899 codes.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

To clear the DHCP error you must give the machine an IP address. User/Tools Counter, System settings, Interface tab. Change the IP to static. The default one the copier gives will be fine. Once this is done the machine will not try connecting to DHCP.

Only lasted less than a day and It's Back!
    I will check 7-404-001 this time and see if that points me anywhere, and the Java too.
    Might also go armed with a HDD just in case.

This one has been a weird case for us. Most of the others were solved by f/w, drivers, and customer training.
    We went almost a month without coding after removing a "Camera Direct Print" card (maybe controller related??), but now it's back to daily.

Thanks again for any insight.