Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Ricoh MP 3053 (2553)

Picked up a off lease unit to refurb. Everything works perfect, print, scan, networking.
    I have updated with the full set of newest firmware.
    When the system goes into sleep or energy save mode...it goes into a continuous paper lift /cycling. Every 15 seconds the paper tray lift motors drop and cycle up to the correct position.
    I have switched the print controller, power supply, and BCU... same problem ( I don't have a spare IPU to try)

The machine can stay on for hours, no problem, only when in energy saver mode does it do this.

Any ideas are much appreciated

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh MP 3053 (2553)

Re: Ricoh MP 3053 (2553)

Sounds like power is being disabled to the upper limit sensors in energy save. Might want to break out a point to point and double check the connections (maybe a connector is in the wrong place on whatever board supplies juice to those sensors). Off lease boxes are like a box of chocolates, you just never know what you're going to get.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I was thinking of a possible wiring issue, short perhaps. So having another parts machine, I moved the BCU, IPU, Controller and power supply to another machine...the same problem followed.

The only part remaining the same is the IPU. So the problem does follow with the original IPU. ( I don't have a spare IPU)
    Just wondering if this could be a setting or if someone else had run across this. I'll be sure to post the solution if I find it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Picked up a off lease unit to refurb. Everything works perfect, print, scan, networking.
    I have updated with the full set of newest firmware.
    When the system goes into sleep or energy save mode...it goes into a continuous paper lift /cycling. Every 15 seconds the paper tray lift motors drop and cycle up to the correct position.
    I have switched the print controller, power supply, and BCU... same problem ( I don't have a spare IPU to try)

The machine can stay on for hours, no problem, only when in energy saver mode does it do this.

Any ideas are much appreciated
    I assume you are referring to trays 1 and 2 and have no additional trays as on a paper bank? Does this happen with both trays simultaneously or at individual intervals? Does your display reflect the correct paper levels for each tray during use? Does the actual amount of paper make any difference, (i.e. a full tray compared to a near-empty tray?)

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Sounds like power is being disabled to the upper limit sensors in energy save. Might want to break out a point to point and double check the connections (maybe a connector is in the wrong place on whatever board supplies juice to those sensors). Off lease boxes are like a box of chocolates, you just never know what you're going to get.
    CN307 from the BICU feeds both paper height sensors and both lift motors. I'd first examine that harness and its pins (bent?). Just my 2 cents worth...but I would also cut those wire harness ties loose. I have seen this cause problems due to impedance when wiring is bundled too tightly at the factory. You can always rebundle them if you are concerned about slack.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    CN307 from the BICU feeds both paper height sensors and both lift motors. I'd first examine that harness and its pins (bent?). Just my 2 cents worth...but I would also cut those wire harness ties loose. I have seen this cause problems due to impedance when wiring is bundled too tightly at the factory. You can always rebundle them if you are concerned about slack.
    Thank you DRichard,

After a bit more troubleshooting, I believe I have a bad IPU. since I change everything else. I have an IPU on the way...

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP 3053 (2553)

Thank you DRichard,

After a bit more troubleshooting, I believe I have a bad IPU. since I change everything else. I have an IPU on the way...
    Are you aware that the IPU is the Image Processing Unit. It processes scanned images. Paper trays drive off the BCU. Your problem sounds like firmware. Try over writing System and Engine firmware with a fresh download.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I was thinking of a possible wiring issue, short perhaps. So having another parts machine, I moved the BCU, IPU, Controller and power supply to another machine...the same problem followed.

The only part remaining the same is the IPU. So the problem does follow with the original IPU. ( I don't have a spare IPU)
    Just wondering if this could be a setting or if someone else had run across this. I'll be sure to post the solution if I find it.
    my bet is on a blocked wire.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for all the input, the problem turned out to be a bad controller ( turns out I had 2 bad controllers)

The paper trays "cycling" was the system going through a re-initializing - but this would only occur in a sleep mode

Sometimes the symptoms send me every which way....

Thanks again