Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Dirty environment causing DF problems

Re: Dirty environment causing DF problems

Metal Dust/ filings will KILL any electronic!!!

My dad owns a metal Polishing Shop, and has burned through computers/ printers/ phones/ routers/ speakers/ etc. at an amazing rate. They're all magnets for the dust.
    Aside from the electronics, a lot of the machinery he uses has to be cleaned out daily, as the metal dust gets into the motors and clutches, and soon enough, he'll have a dead machine.

I hate it when our salesman just put machines in place all "willy nilly", without first researching what kind of stress the machine will undergo. Especially fab shops, and welding shops!

If there is as much metal dust as you say, I would suspect it has worked it's way into the magnetic clutches, and it's going to be an ongoing problem for you. No easy fix here.

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Metal Dust/ filings will KILL any electronic!!!

My dad owns a metal Polishing Shop, and has burned through computers/ printers/ phones/ routers/ speakers/ etc. at an amazing rate. They're all magnets for the dust.
    Aside from the electronics, a lot of the machinery he uses has to be cleaned out daily, as the metal dust gets into the motors and clutches, and soon enough, he'll have a dead machine.

I hate it when our salesman just put machines in place all "willy nilly", without first researching what kind of stress the machine will undergo. Especially fab shops, and welding shops!

If there is as much metal dust as you say, I would suspect it has worked it's way into the magnetic clutches, and it's going to be an ongoing problem for you. No easy fix here.
    Machine is away from the dusty envrionement, only the originals carry the metal dust....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    Machine is away from the dusty envrionement, only the originals carry the metal dust....
    I see. Then it'll just have to be cleaned really well, really often! Have you tried bumping the scanning resolution up to 300 dpi from 200? Helps a little bit to prevent double feeds, and allows for a little better stackability.
    Otherwise, like you stated, the condition of the originals (previously stapled, crumpled, etc.) seems to be the biggest factor, and will be a "hard sell" to tell the customer they need to be "cleaned" before running through DF. I guess you'll just have to make frequent visits for this issue. A little job security

Retired 10,000+ Posts

One thing I can think of that might help is a modified paper jogger to shake the metal filings off the paper. New one are $500 or more but you or the customer might have one around.

proffesional blower brush

Resolution is already set to 600dpi as it is.
    Can't say we have a paper jogger and I don't know anyone who has owned one to my knowledge.
    For this customer to arrange a 'weekly' or scheduled visit to clean the DF is not really an option. They are about an hour away and not that close to many other customers really, not that we barely have time to fit in something like that as it is.
    I appreciate all the input so far, outside the box ideas are all that could potentially save me because as mentioned earlier, there is no win here.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

train the customer to fan the paper at both ends before loading the adf? not sure if that would remove all of it as i don't know how much there is. but worth a shot??

I am attending with a Ricoh level 2 tech tomorrow morning, I'm sure he will just say nahh nothing we can do about that it isn't our fault and it isn't the copiers fault.
    The other idea we had is to just make a small box and put A4 sheets of magnet around it, put a stack of say 30 pages in and shake it in the hopes enough metal sticks to the magnetic edges. We are really clutching at straws for this one. The things we have to do to save a sale...

I think the cheapest solution would be just to give the customer his money back and ask him to buy a copier from a rival company.
    If the environment is as bad as you say it is you are about to commit you company to a huge loss making contract for the next 5 years.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Lol come on everyone knows only engineers think of the long run, sales only see 'the sale' and how much money it bags on the day. I can't remember how many times I have said 'dont sell one of those machines they are absolute shit and everyone knows it' - 1 month later we sell the exact machine I was pointing at in the workshop.
    Anyway... level 2 tech came out to see it earlier, he tried cutting down the springs either side of the df belt and said on occasion they can come too strong from factory. He got a bit over excited and cut too much off so I'm going back on monday with new ones, after about 2 hours of trying things it pretty much came down to fitting a little pad to the top of the plastic section that holds the DF belt, so as you close the lid it hits the pad and adds more pressure to push down the pages onto the reverse roller. Surprisingly that worked really well.
    It went from not being able to feed a stack of 20 pages without a mistake, to doing about 10 runs worth of 15-35 pages without any mistakes at all.
    When I go back there on monday i'll try and get a picture to put on here just in case it can help anyone in the future with similar problems. The metal dust barely seems to have any impact on the feed in reality... I mean it will do in the near future anyway but the problem seems to be solved by the little sticky pad currently.