Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Any updates with setting up scan to folder on win 8/10

hi..

I ve got a call to do at an account with a mpc3002 using win 10,where they want me to create shortcuts to folders on each
    individual PC.
    I hate this account and really want to be ready so i dont have to see or listen to this person..
    We had previous problems where he wasted 3 hours of my day and travel and does not seem to care about it.
    Are you creating a phantom user in win 10 and making a folder with share
    privileges?
    or has win updates changed things again..
    thanks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Any updates with setting up scan to folder on win 8/10

If you upgrade your firmware to the latest version will resolve scan problems. the computers probably have smb1 turn off so you will need to do this.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Thanks
    the machine is a mpc3502.
    Was there a newer FW added after that early 2019 win10 update that knocked out scan to folder on many brands?

mpc3002 and mpc3502 use same firmware the above is so can use smb2/3

D1425563S
    D1425565M
    D1425570G
    D1425610B

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

We've found SMB 1 turns itself back off every now and then. We either use FTP (FileZilla server) or insist on scan to email as they don't have the facility to do scan to folder.

No good doing bodge after bodge as it makes you look inept when they keep doing Windows uodates and it stops working. Just tell it how it is, you want something that's only really available on a proper server or a NAS drive. It's your issue and email/usb/ftp is the solution

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

With some of our customers, we've found that you have to essentially disable windows security and firewall settings to allow the scan to folder to work. It usually has a timer setting (like 15 - 20 minutes) where it will re-enable the settings. Have tried numerous suggestions from this site and Ricoh support, and have had very limited success with those. Disabling the windows security and firewall settings has worked more than anything else, but in doing so may leave you or a customer vulnerable for a period of time, so use your best judgement.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    hi..

I ve got a call to do at an account with a mpc3002 using win 10,where they want me to create shortcuts to folders on each
    individual PC.
    I hate this account and really want to be ready so i dont have to see or listen to this person..
    We had previous problems where he wasted 3 hours of my day and travel and does not seem to care about it.
    Are you creating a phantom user in win 10 and making a folder with share
    privileges?
    or has win updates changed things again..
    thanks
    I feel your pain we all have customers like this!

As suggested below update the firmware first.

However how about scan to email?

Set them up a gmail account etc they can then scan to their inbox all you would need to do is a few address book entries simple.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    With some of our customers, we've found that you have to essentially disable windows security and firewall settings to allow the scan to folder to work. It usually has a timer setting (like 15 - 20 minutes) where it will re-enable the settings. Have tried numerous suggestions from this site and Ricoh support, and have had very limited success with those. Disabling the windows security and firewall settings has worked more than anything else, but in doing so may leave you or a customer vulnerable for a period of time, so use your best judgement.
    Ooooh, this gives me shivers reading this. I only do this momentarily to test. It is usually easy enough to create exceptions in each to whitelist the ip of the copier and open smb ports.

On a side note, we as a company are under the assumption that smb is no longer available period in W10 home for about the last 6 months. Is this correct?
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    Ooooh, this gives me shivers reading this. I only do this momentarily to test. It is usually easy enough to create exceptions in each to whitelist the ip of the copier and open smb ports.

On a side note, we as a company are under the assumption that smb is no longer available period in W10 home for about the last 6 months. Is this correct?
    Scanning to Windows 10 Home via SMB is still available. Usually just need to update the firmware on the copier. On Konica Minolta machine you must load to a specific firmware, change some Soft Switches then update to a specific firmware, change switches then you can update to the latest.

There are some services that seem to be getting shutdown for various reason's that SMB depends on:
    Function Discovery Provider Host
    Function Discovery Resource Publication
    SSDP Discovery
    TCP/IP Netbios Helper
    UPnP Device Host
    DNS Client
    Device Association Service

These are the ones that I have come across in researching why SMB fails. A few of these will prevent "Network Discovery" from staying turned on.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jhalfhide View Post
    We've found SMB 1 turns itself back off every now and then. We either use FTP (FileZilla server) or insist on scan to email as they don't have the facility to do scan to folder.

No good doing bodge after bodge as it makes you look inept when they keep doing Windows uodates and it stops working. Just tell it how it is, you want something that's only really available on a proper server or a NAS drive. It's your issue and email/usb/ftp is the solution

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    As COPIERMAN posted, the SMB2/3 firmware is available for the MP Cxx02. There is no need to turn SMB 1 on. When you do, the next time any Microsoft installs, it will be turned off.