Senior Tech 250+ Posts

MP 301/MP C305 ADF Noise

Wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing with these adf's...I have searched through a couple of previous threads for answers but nothing was really specific.

I continuously get calls from customers saying that their adf is "grunting" and sure enough it makes a pretty terrible noise typically when it is taking the last few sheets through (simplex mode). I have spent time switching out paper feed units, separation pads, putting insulation where the cover contacts the adf, nothing seems to work. My guess is where the feed tire contacts the sep felt pad. But not positive.

Just curious if anyone has a specific diagnosis.

Thanks

Re: MP 301/MP C305 ADF Noise

Have the same problem with these little gems that you are experiencing. Some feeders (and not all of them) create quite a noticeable vibration from the Feed Head/Separation Pad contact -this occurs even with new a new Feed Head and Friction Pad. We have tried using weatherstripping foam along the sides of the ARDF Cover at the front and back sides. This looks rather "cheap" so the last time I applied some of the Developer Seals from the PRO C5100 across the top of the Pick Up Roller Holder which SEEMED to work pretty good at dampening out the sound (at least on this one machine). Good Luck.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

When you open the original feeder cover, look at the internal cover which is for 2nd side copying. The cover rests on a metal "stops",
    Front and Rear. If the "stops" are bent down, this allows the guide to rub on the feed tires causing the loud noise.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP 301/MP C305 ADF Noise

The following is from a bulletin for the MP C2051/MP C2551. Ricoh's field countermeasure was to replace the friction pads. I found that placing a small amount of grease on the contact points of the friction pad took care of the problem. I don't know if it will work here but is worth a try.

SUBJECT: LOUD VIBRATION HEARD WHILE FEEDING PAPER
    SYMPTOM:
    A loud vibration is heard while paper is being fed from Paper Feed Tray 1 or 2.
    CAUSE:
    The friction is high between the paper and the Friction Pad, and a vibration is generated. This vibration is
    transmitted via the Friction Pad Holder to the Paper Tray, where it resonates and creates a loud noise.
    SOLUTION:
    Production Countermeasure:
    A quick-drying grease has been applied to the Paper Tray (P/N: D0392551) to make the contact with the
    Paper Tray smoother. This has been applied since the October 2010 production (1st Mass Production of the
    D104/D106 Series machines).

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    Wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing with these adf's...I have searched through a couple of previous threads for answers but nothing was really specific.

I continuously get calls from customers saying that their adf is "grunting" and sure enough it makes a pretty terrible noise typically when it is taking the last few sheets through (simplex mode). I have spent time switching out paper feed units, separation pads, putting insulation where the cover contacts the adf, nothing seems to work. My guess is where the feed tire contacts the sep felt pad. But not positive.

Thanks

I had a similar problem on two units of that series, I disassembled the ADF gear cascade, cleaned and lubricated the spring clutch, greased the gears well with white lithium grease, and the problem was solved

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    When the ADF makes this noise, we take the part D6062112 (rollerholder-cage) clean the main-axis and the holes in the cage and put a little amount of silicongrease at the cage-holes.
    Normaly there´s silence for ca. 6 month.
    Greatings...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MP 301/MP C305 ADF Noise

Usually comes from the sep pad and worn feed roller. We normally change out D6062111 roller (wears twice as fast as the D6062113 pickup roller), and sep pad D6063112 together. I have noticed that even with new parts installed the first few pages will "rub" and "squeak", but after running 20 or so it seems to go away. On some of these though, even with new rollers and such, we found that either A.) The spring (B8722526) on the feed assembly shaft is broken in two and would jam and cause noise, or B.)The Torque limiter (D6062115) on the feed ass'y wouldn't let the pickup roller come down far enough to grab paper and cause jamming (don't think this one had noise associated with it).

Also on these doc feeders, we have run into issues with the solenoids (GX110024) for pickup (they stick and won't release from the gear), but you usually get a "grinding/ popping" noise. Shutting down machine and repowering will take care of it for a while. We have also been putting a piece of electrical tape over the magnet on the solenoid, and bending the spring seat to allow for slightly more tension.

Also, Also, on these feeders, we see with regularity where the white "spring clutch" (D6064150) for feed ass'y goes bad and causes a "grinding" noise. I know these last 2 issues are probably not what you're experiencing, but just wanted to put it out there so people know!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thank you all so much for those replies...happy to hear im not alone.

You have given me a lot to work with so i will get to that and do my best to post back what i found to work for me.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post

Thanks
    These dfs were a poor attempt at it (dare I say Samsungy?) We have had all kinds of vibrations and noises - it gets worse with duplex mode!
    The guide rollers underneath the document table can also cause a lot of racket, which requires adjustments of their springmetal holders to get quieter feeding.

The friction pad also does not last... Bring back the MP161 series df!
    Press the GREEN button!!