Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

MPC305 printing problems

I have a customer with an MPC305, it's in a small, home office, with only 2 PCs that print to it.

When they print the device says processing, and sounds like it's going to print, then says resetting and the job disappears. I know the printer is fine as I can print from my tablet with no problem.

I tried switching off each PC in turn to see if one of them was causing the problem. I set up user codes for printing to ensure all print jobs were properly deleted. I changed the IP address and downloaded a fresh driver onto one of the PCs, so now it's only the new driver pointing at the device...exactly the same issue.

There's no HDD in this device so I cannot see what happens if I try to print from an external memory device, or try hold/locked prints.

I know this is not my problem, but they are a nice couple and I don't want to leave them to deal with it themselves as their technical expertise doesn't extend beyond rebooting the PCs.

The PCs are running Windows 7 professional, they have Norton anti-virus, and are running an anti-malware too. It was pretty late by the time I left there, so I suggested turning off anti-virus and anti-malware and trying again, but I don't know if that is going to work.

If anyone has any further suggestions for them then I'll call them to get them to try it. I won't be able to go back there until next week now as I have the joys of IMC training for the next 2 days, then 2 days off :-)
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Technician

Re: MPC305 printing problems

Firmware are up to date ? Print driver was universal or pcl6? There is printing problem with colour, mono or both ?

Quote Originally Posted by DonPedro View Post
    Firmware are up to date ? Print driver was universal or pcl6? There is printing problem with colour, mono or both ?
    Firmware is up to date. Print driver is PCL6 for that device. The printing problem is from, both, colour and mono.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MPC305 printing problems

Static ip?

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Technician

Printer is installed using IP addr / host name / wsd port? Printer is connected to router via wifi or it's wired connection ?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    MPC305 printing problems

You said firmware is up to date is this ALL the files?

Does the machine delete all printed documents? eg Word, PDF & Windows test page?

I had something similar with Auto Continue, when it is On, printing continues after a system error occurs.

The default setting is [Off] if this is on it deletes the job maybe due to paper mismatch etc.

What does the printer log show?

Executing Form Feed when Print Settings Do Not Match

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

It's on a static IP
    It's a wired connection, not WiFi, and the driver is installed to IP address
    All of the firmware is up to date, that was the first thing I did before connecting my tablet.
    I could ask them to look at auto continue, but as it has been printing fine for the past 5 years, until this morning, I'm not convinced it will work.
    Yes, it deletes all formats, including test page.
    I think the printer log showed 'error', and the ones that came in while I had user codes enabled showed 'unauthorised', but I can't remember the exact wording for them

Technician

Maybe wire or port in router is faulty?
    I had similar problem in older mfp. The job was "lost in space" and changing port in router solved the problem.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MPC305 printing problems

I know the HDD is an option for this series, but could that be part of the issue (not having it). Are they trying to duplex print (or "print on both sides" selected in driver?) Not sure we've ever had one of these that didn't have the HDD installed, so I can't speak to its mannerisms without having one. I just know on some models you can't duplex and some other things without the HDD.

You say that you can print to it just fine from your tablet, so that would maybe "rule out" the HDD theory.

Did you plug directly into the copier to print with your tablet (bypassing their router and all that)?? I had an issue with a C2051 at a rail repair office that did the same thing. Job would hit the machine, make the warm up noises, then say resetting the job. Laptop directly hooked up printed fine. Worked with customers Remote IT and they watched that data on their end and came to the conclusion that the port on the router couldn't handle the "load" of data (20 page print job). Switched the port on the router and Woofta! Printing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    I know the HDD is an option for this series, but could that be part of the issue (not having it). Are they trying to duplex print (or "print on both sides" selected in driver?) Not sure we've ever had one of these that didn't have the HDD installed, so I can't speak to its mannerisms without having one. I just know on some models you can't duplex and some other things without the HDD.

You say that you can print to it just fine from your tablet, so that would maybe "rule out" the HDD theory.

Did you plug directly into the copier to print with your tablet (bypassing their router and all that)?? I had an issue with a C2051 at a rail repair office that did the same thing. Job would hit the machine, make the warm up noises, then say resetting the job. Laptop directly hooked up printed fine. Worked with customers Remote IT and they watched that data on their end and came to the conclusion that the port on the router couldn't handle the "load" of data (20 page print job). Switched the port on the router and Woofta! Printing fine.
    This sounds like a very good possibility even though it's failing on, even, single page documents. Your one did exactly the same as mine is doing.
    I did connect my tablet directly to the copier, bypassing their router, and printed double sided from my tablet, so it's nothing to do with the lack of HDD. They have been using it for 5 years with no problems, but I have no idea how old, or good, their router is, as this is a home network, I suspect it's probably poor quality and pretty old. I'll call them tomorrow from my course and suggest they try a different port. I'll let you know if that works, thank you