Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Ricoh MPC 3503 et all Drum/Developer Unit with SC-324-05 how to free-up stuck auger

Ricoh MPC 3503 et all Drum/Developer Unit with SC-324-05 how to free-up stuck auger

Hello, have this same problem I have seen posted here and the TSB explanation that the drums were not stored correctly. However, they were stored correctly but maybe in shipping they were not kept horizonal.

So, they are jammed up pretty good and throwing a SC 324-05. Using my fingers I can turn the back left gear freely on all three colors but the right one only will turn about 90 degrees in either direction even with small plyers (I'm careful not to strip the plastic gear). Of course on the old drums the gear turns freely.

Has anyone been able to free these drum units up and if so could you share how you did it? I put the old drums back in and reset them for the time being. I have the new drums and can try something else at my shop, but don't want to break anything.

By the way, does it hurt to turn the gear in both directions? If not, which direction is correct? Clock-wise or counter-clockwise?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MPC 3503 et all Drum/Developer Unit with SC-324-05 how to free-up stuck aug

Quote Originally Posted by patterson70 View Post
    Hello, have this same problem I have seen posted here and the TSB explanation that the drums were not stored correctly. However, they were stored correctly but maybe in shipping they were not kept horizonal.

So, they are jammed up pretty good and throwing a SC 324-05. Using my fingers I can turn the back left gear freely on all three colors but the right one only will turn about 90 degrees in either direction even with small plyers (I'm careful not to strip the plastic gear). Of course on the old drums the gear turns freely.

Has anyone been able to free these drum units up and if so could you share how you did it? I put the old drums back in and reset them for the time being. I have the new drums and can try something else at my shop, but don't want to break anything.

By the way, does it hurt to turn the gear in both directions? If not, which direction is correct? Clock-wise or counter-clockwise?
    Try giving the unit a really good hard shake front to back BEFORE you pull the tab.

If this fails you can pop the top off & then gently shake the unit to evenly spread the developer.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MPC 3503 et all Drum/Developer Unit with SC-324-05 how to free-up stuck aug

I would pop off the drive gears and see if i can turn the mag roller shaft. Just had a new 301 PCU lock up completely due to keeping the unit in my car over the weekend.The mag roller drives in the same direction with the drum rotation.

Good luck.

Not sure if you've seen the bulletin for this issue but it describes which way to turn the gears.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    Not sure if you've seen the bulletin for this issue but it describes which way to turn the gears.
    Thank you
    but it does not tell me which way to turn the gears unfortunately. Any help on that would be appreciated. I am not positive turning in both directions will hurt it but it seems to be the only way to get the rollers freed-up.

I have spent about 15 minutes on just one of the colors and I am slowly getting it close to turning 360 degrees but not completely. This is a real pain in the neck!

Thank you
    but it does not tell me which way to turn the gears unfortunately. Any help on that would be appreciated. I am not positive turning in both directions will hurt it but it seems to be the only way to get the rollers freed-up.

I have spent about 15 minutes on just one of the colors and I am slowly getting it close to turning 360 degrees but not completely. This is a real pain in the neck!
    I probably should have checked which bulletin I uploaded
    THIS one shows the gear direction but essentially it doesn't really matter WHICH way you turn the gears as this bulletin has you turn the gears in BOTH directions.
    I think the days of flipping the doctor blade is long gone.
    Try the procedure described in this bulletin though as it's meant to break up lumps of toner in the dev....so it'd work for a stuck auger as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Thank you

As I said earlier take the top of the dv unit off, you can even tip out the developer onto a large sheet of paper turn the gears freely then tip the developer evenley back in.

Takes 30 mins at most works every time.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    As I said earlier take the top of the dv unit off, you can even tip out the developer onto a large sheet of paper turn the gears freely then tip the developer evenley back in.

Takes 30 mins at most works every time.
    Thanks to the advice here I was able to free them up finally! Each one took about 10-15 minutes each. I kept turning them and rapping the unit on the floor, almost each time I was able to turn the front and rear gear a little more until they could turn freely. The yellow one took the longest. Much appreciated!