Angry Almost all customers' scans to email going to SPAM since this past weekend!?!

This week we've been getting calls from all over the state and even across lines that scans to email are all suddenly going into SPAM.
    We initially thought it was just to gmail addresses, but now it's happening on several other email domain destinations.
    Also checked the smtp servers they're using and there seems to be no correlation - i.e. all different servers from godaddy to comcast to office365.
    Had the last customer find the email in spam and select "Not Spam" but the scans STILL go into spam folder.
    What the hell happened over the weekend?!?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts ThePomqueteer's Avatar

Re: Almost all customers' scans to email going to SPAM since this past weekend!?!

Can confirm here in Canada as well. Bunch of scan to email not working calls. Have been calling them getting them to check the spam folder but unfortunately since the machine is doing its job it makes it very hard to find out whats going on. I usually just tell them to get their IT involved. Anything from GMail to ISP SMTP servers. We even tried applying a global GSuite spam filter to allow email from the sender email and it was still going to spam. Asked my friend who works for the dispatch for a local ISP and they don't know anything about it either.

Re: Almost all customers' scans to email going to SPAM since this past weekend!?!

Quote Originally Posted by mlandry71 View Post
    This week we've been getting calls from all over the state and even across lines that scans to email are all suddenly going into SPAM.
    We initially thought it was just to gmail addresses, but now it's happening on several other email domain destinations.
    Also checked the smtp servers they're using and there seems to be no correlation - i.e. all different servers from godaddy to comcast to office365.
    Had the last customer find the email in spam and select "Not Spam" but the scans STILL go into spam folder.
    Most likely a filter update

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Almost all customers' scans to email going to SPAM since this past weekend!?!

Quote Originally Posted by mlandry71 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePomqueteer View Post
    Can confirm here in Canada as well. Bunch of scan to email not working calls. Have been calling them getting them to check the spam folder but unfortunately since the machine is doing its job it makes it very hard to find out whats going on. I usually just tell them to get their IT involved. Anything from GMail to ISP SMTP servers. We even tried applying a global GSuite spam filter to allow email from the sender email and it was still going to spam. Asked my friend who works for the dispatch for a local ISP and they don't know anything about it either.
    Have you tried white listing the senders, that is adding them to the recipients address book.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Would be nice if customers would learn how to use the software that they choose to use. In this case once the scan leaves the copier and is received by the customers email software the machine is setup. Not our problem. This is what customers computer support is for.

I understand and we find ourselves in the same position at times.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Probabely a matter of security, since computersystems can be hacked through the scanner...
    So it's in the benefit of the client, in the long run.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Change the "Subject" line in the scan settings. A lot of filters look for keywords like "scanned", "attachment", "FYI", using multiple digits in in the "From" address and so on. Ricoh/Savin default subject line is USUALLY something like, "Message from RNP0X0X0B1A4F" or something of that nature. Change it to "Information from Dave's Plumbing" or whatever the customer's company is and see if that gets around the SPAM filters.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    Change the "Subject" line in the scan settings. A lot of filters look for keywords like "scanned", "attachment", "FYI", using multiple digits in in the "From" address and so on. Ricoh/Savin default subject line is USUALLY something like, "Message from RNP0X0X0B1A4F" or something of that nature. Change it to "Information from Dave's Plumbing" or whatever the customer's company is and see if that gets around the SPAM filters.
    Great point.

It's been years, but I've seen this happen before.

A blank subject line is probably the surest way to get filtered out.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts ThePomqueteer's Avatar

Got an email from a tech thinking this may be related to Urgent11

URGENT/11 Information from the Research Team - Armis Labs

Its above my pay grade but maybe someone whos more knowledgeable in that area can confirm?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fionalam View Post
    The emails I was sending were also going to people's spam for a while, so I found a few solutions for that. I think that taking an email deliverability test should help with your problem. You will find out what holds your email deliverability back and make sure each email account works to its total capacity. Also, spammers aren't known for being considerate and attentive to their recipients. So, whenever anyone gets a generic-looking email, they're not excited. Instead, they're alarmed. Another thing spammers are notorious for is sending massive amounts of emails. So, it would be best if you worked with email service providers that have the capacity for large email volumes.
    You are 2 years too late to the party grave robber.