Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MP C3500 jamming under/before the fuser

Having a little bit of an arguement with an MP C3500. Hoping someone that works with these more frequently than I might be able to give me an "aha" moment. I've gone through the basics but not making any progress.

Essentially the paper has started jamming right underneath the fuser. Doesn't matter what size, tray or orientation. Open up the side slowly and the paper is curled up underneath the fuser waiting for you. Have gone through and checked/cleaned all of the rollers to that point and otherwise looked for debris. No obstruction within the fuser, and even tried another fuser just because i had one handy.

Have had a couple of times where I've thought I've made progress, run a couple of copies through ok and then try to run a test run of 10 or 20 pages and starts jamming again on the first page. Also tried running a few sheets of 100# paper and same jam same place. As best as I can tell the paper seems to be coming up and hitting the bottom of the fuser as opposed to going into the slot, but I'm just not seeing why.

Thanks in advance.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: MP C3500 jamming under/before the fuser

It would help us diagnose what is causing the jam if you had given the jam code, JXXX. That code shows what sensor detected the jam and whether the lead or trail edge.

Sorry about that J019 is the jam code.

Check the condition of the transfer case.
    Make sure that it hasn't broken the mounting pins.
    That machine is ancient and the transfer case plastic would be well brittle by now.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

From Gooses Guide:
    B222/B224/G878 JAM CODE 019 Fusing exit sensor does not detect paper - right side cover not latching closes right, check two pins on machine frame too.
    B222/B224/G878 JAM CODE 019 Fusing exit sensor does not detect paper -clean one way gear on fuser
    B222/B224/G878 JAM CODE 019 Fusing exit sensor does not detect paper - try moving fuser entrance guide plate

Also check fuser entrance guide plate for toner residue build up that the lead edge might be catching on.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zaxxon's Avatar

New machine, this is a really old dinosaur.
    Please start you post with brand, model, problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
    New machine, this is a really old dinosaur.
    Actually old dinosaur is what they were using before this one was donated... this, in comparison, is a relatively new dinosaur.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcisar View Post
    Actually old dinosaur is what they were using before this one was donated... this, in comparison, is a relatively new dinosaur.
    It is still old enough that you are going to have trouble getting parts.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    It is still old enough that you are going to have trouble getting parts.
    It's not ideal, that's for certain... but sometimes the economy dictates necessity. Thankfully, at least here, the Ricoh complete spare parts kits for the 3500/4500 are frequently available for between a few hundred bucks and "just get it out of here" :-) so that's good enough to keep things running, including consumables, for the most part.

FWIW, the solution to the problem for this particular printer seems to have been the transfer roller/separation pad assy. Looks fine (actually looks WAY better than the one I swapped in) but apparently is not :-) Have just run about 500 pages through without a hiccup.

SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcisar View Post
    It's not ideal, that's for certain... but sometimes the economy dictates necessity. Thankfully, at least here, the Ricoh complete spare parts kits for the 3500/4500 are frequently available for between a few hundred bucks and "just get it out of here" :-) so that's good enough to keep things running, including consumables, for the most part.

FWIW, the solution to the problem for this particular printer seems to have been the transfer roller/separation pad assy. Looks fine (actually looks WAY better than the one I swapped in) but apparently is not :-) Have just run about 500 pages through without a hiccup.
    Glad you got it sorted out. We used to have a sales guy that loved to say "better than new".

Especially enjoyed and admired you when you took the dinosaur remark and declared it to be in comparison, is a relatively new dinosaur.

-----------New Dinosaur-----------Awesome , you have got on the cutting edge , remarketing/rebranding skills. I will certainly be using that when we have to sell low meter older equipment. Lol.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com