Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

MP 2550 Mystery Jam

I've got a customer with a fairly new 2550 that's giving them a persistent lag jam at the junction gate sensor (code 065) after the machine runs for a little while.
    I took out the fuser and inverter unit and everything looked good, but it seems like it comes back with a vengeance every few weeks. By the time I'm able to get there the machine is fine.
    I've seen a couple of strange jams on this model, but nothing that can account for this.
    Any ideas would be appreciated...

E Winter
    I have no specifiv idea but does this happen during a duplex job? Does the paper "crash" or stop inside the machine without any damage?

Firmware up to snuff?

Firmware is the latest and greatest. I have yet to see the machine jam myself, even running over 200+ pages at a time for testing... I will be starting my day there when they next run their big job.
    If I find anything I will share properly...

copierman 250+ Posts
    MP 2550 Mystery Jam

check the discharge grid (does this machine have one?) if the power pack fails for the discharge grid you will get jams like you mention on duplex jobs, as after a while theres no discharge for the paper and static charge bulids up, this can cause odd jams like this. (especially on duplex)
    Networking skills are advantageous but use of a 3m vacuum cleaner is essential

Thanks Leo...

I think I've narrowed down to the sep pad for tray one. Having finally seen the machine jam, it seems that it chain feeds: there was a page past the drum with an inverter jam but there is no image on the paper. The pad is one of the plastic type as opposed to the cork pads that just seem to hold up better.

I finally got an answer on this one: it's a firmware error with the resolution still in production. It is supposed to be released soon....

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    I think I could have a similar issue with a MP2550 30k on the clock.

Non feed jams being logged for Tray 1, A4 LEF and jam code 57 (reg late) shown as the latest plotter jams.
    Customer says they remove two sheets from the reg area every time it happens.
    But sure enough when I'm onsite I cannot recreate the problem, it works fine for hundreds of copies.

Strange one.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Cipher, that sounds a lot like my issue as well: double sheet feeding and such. I have yet to see firmware for this issue come out and I have one customer still having repeated issues with this jam. Maybe the speed is too great for a non-FFR feed system?

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    Watch these buggers, they're a good one for throwing up really wierd jams.

A good one I've seen is where the side fence position sensor gets knocked out of place by customers pushing the tray back in with a little too much force. It'll present faults such as the machine detecting A5LEF with A4LEF in the tray, A4LEF with A4SEF in the tray. This is while the machine is on Auto Detect. When the tray is set to a certain paper type in User Tools, it will just continually jam out of the tray.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.