Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar

Interesting Savin 4540 Problem

This week I had a 4540 throw me a curve ball. Although I got it resolved, I thought I would share with everyone because I think it was so weird.
    Customer called in complaining about an issue printing from tray 2 and the MFP would throw a SC460 code after only a few pages were printed. Once on-site, I saw that tray 2 was detecting B5 for the paper. When I opened the tray, I found Christmas cards from Wal-Mart. I had the customer duplicate the print job, but they could only print one at a time since it would jam. This told me the tray was not detecting the correct paper size. Sure enough, after three cards were printed the 460 came up.
    I ran 20 test copies from tray one with no problem, then followed by 20 pages printed from tray one with the same result. I then removed the cards from tray 2 and replaced them with 8.5x11. Same tests, with normal results. This told me that I defenently had a problem with the reconizition of the paper size in tray 2.

I grabbed a ruler, measured the cards, put them in the by-pass and set it up for the custom size of the cards. I asked the customer to run 10 and they ran perfect. I then asked her to run 25 and again, perfect.
    Anyway, I just think it's weird as heck that the MFP would throw a SC460 because paper misdetection. By the way, SC460 means BICU detected a short in the HVPS. Either way, it's fixed and maybe now if someone else see's this, they might remember reading this.

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

copierman 250+ Posts

It may be doing this as the transfer voltage sometimes goes up or down due to paper size, as the transfer current will go to earth via the drum if the paper is less than 216 mm width or somthing like that , so if the machine thinks its the wrong size, the machine may increase the transfer current thus sending a proportion of it to ground, the power pack may try to increase this voltage as the feedback may not be enough and giving you a hv error, thats my theory anyway .
    Networking skills are advantageous but use of a 3m vacuum cleaner is essential

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Interesting! Perhaps the timing of transfer current is based on the paper length. With proper coordination the transfer current would shut off just before the end of the page. Since the size was read incorrectly perhaps the transfer current remained on beyond the actual paper length, and without the paper to act as an insulator a direct short resulted from the transfer roller directly to the drum ground. ???

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Neat

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    Christmas cards? Was someone too lazy to sign their name on them all that they had to use the copier?
    There wasn't any metal, sparkles or anything other decoration on the card that might cause a short was there?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I had one customer (a funeral home) printing prayer cards. Yes with those little metalic sprinkles. Yes, non-standard sized, pre-perforated, heavy card stock. And No, that is, no-way-in-hell the Sharp-Cougar was going to feed them. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cobiray View Post
    Christmas cards? Was someone too lazy to sign their name on them all that they had to use the copier?
    There wasn't any metal, sparkles or anything other decoration on the card that might cause a short was there?
    Nope, no fancy sparklies or anything. But still, if that were the case, it shouldn't have mattered which tray I feed them from or the size.

I'm tending to lean more towards Leo's explanation for the problem.

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.