Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Andrew.R

Ricoh 2022 upgrade issues

I bought a refurb Ricoh 2022 and found it didn't have print/scan/network features built-in. I ordered a kit from ebay and installed it.

The ethernet chip seems to work fine and the machine gets an IP address.

I got the Postscript 3 chip for Mac printing and installed both it and the scan chips into the 2 DIMM slots. I don't know if the order matters but I tried both ways round with the same results.

The hard drive didn't come with an IDE cable so I can't connect it. I tried to order a standard 44-pin cable but it doesn't connect because the plug has one hole filled (43 holes) in but the board pins are the full 44 pins. The hard drive itself has 43 pins. I don't know which cable to get or where to get it.

I reckon I should be able to use the print/scan features without the drive anyway as I can FTP or email a scan file. Is the drive needed for say postscript printing?

I've installed the PPD and neither my Windows nor Mac computers can see it on the network and putting the IP into a browser gives me a page not found error, not the web interface.

However, I can access the printer via a console/terminal over the network. I can execute all the telnet, rsh, ftp commands and they interact with the printer. I tried to use the rsh print command though and it passes through the command but no printout comes from the machine.

The other issue is that the buttons I installed onto the panel for the print/scan settings don't change the display panel. They simply create a beeping when pressed. I can only access the copy settings and the machine settings. The ethernet settings did appear after installing the ethernet board though and they work fine.

no mercy... 50+ Posts claudioterrible's Avatar

2022 printer scanner

have you install the memory dimm ? first of all,install the memory dimm,then the printer/scanner in the slot number one ,and the ps in the slot number 2,turn on the machine and verify if the display change when you press the scanner or pirnter keys,the "conection" will be the second step

Andrew.R
    Thanks for the reply. I don't have an extra Ram dimm. Is this necessary for the other parts to work properly? I figured the 64MB Ram built-in would be enough.

The other chips are currently installed with print/scan in slot 1 (top one) and postscript in slot 2 (bottom slot) but no change happens on the panel.

I'm concerned that the Web Image Monitor isn't working too. After inserting the ethernet board, is there a software update I need to do on the printer to get this to work?

I tried doing the mshell (telnet):

set web up

to start up the Web Monitor and then I save the configuration and I still get error 404. Also after saving the config through mshell, it won't let me log back into the printer via telnet until I turn it off and on again.
    Last edited by Andrew.R; 11-10-2008 at 05:05 PM.

no mercy... 50+ Posts claudioterrible's Avatar

2022 printer scanner

you need to install a 128 mb memory first,no memory ,no printer scanner ,simple like this! the ricoh code is G331

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

DIMMS- Memory (128MB) bottom slot on controller board. Mandantory upgrade.
    PostScript- top slot on controller board, above Print Scan DIMM]
    Print Scan- 2nd slot at top of controller below PS DIMM. Big label faces
    down.
    Button Order
    COPY
    DOC SERV
    FAX
    PRINT
    SCANNER

this is a notebook HD and uses (as you have found out) a different cable. But it is a standard notebook cable.

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Andrew.R
    Thanks for the information. I'm annoyed now that the people who sold the print/scan kit on ebay didn't include the memory upgrade or at least didn't say it was required before using it. The only Ram kit I found is $105:

128MB Memory RAM for Ricoh Printer Aficio 2022

I already spent $240 on the upgrade kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama46
    This is a notebook HD and uses (as you have found out) a different cable. But it is a standard notebook cable.
    Is there a term that I can use to search for so I can make sure to get the right one? I've been looking for IDE 2.5" PATA/IDC 44-pin female-female in all sorts of combinations but they rarely show clear images of the connectors.

This one looks like it might be ok though:

Criticalcables.com :: 1.866.607.0445 :: - IDE44-4 - 4" Internal IDE44 Pin Ribbon Cable - F/F

I'll have to check if a 4" cable is long enough. I think the one I got before was a 6" cable and it looked like it was the right length. This might be a better one to get:

6" 44 Pin IDE Laptop 2.5" Hard Drive Ribbon Cable

I already looked at that one before but I figured they were all the same. If the plug only has 43 holes on it, they shouldn't call it a 44-pin connector.

Thanks again for all your help. I've searched for a couple of weeks trying to find out what was wrong. Despite Google being the biggest search engine, sometimes finding technical information with it is extremely difficult.

I think either of those will work, I dont know about the length tho. Maybe you can measure it. The RAM DIMM is a standard SODIMM (notebook) but the machine is looking for 128M.
    Buying on the Web is a classic example of Caveat Emptor.
    And its not that the world is full of crooks, but a lot of sellers are just reselling stuff they bought and they dont really have any knowledge of whats needed.

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Andrew.R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomama46 View Post
    The RAM DIMM is a standard SODIMM (notebook) but the machine is looking for 128M.
    That's interesting because I have an older Mac Mini and I'm going to get a Ram upgrade for it. The default configuration is 2 x 256MB notebook DIMMs.

These are type 256MB DDR2-667 PC2-5300 200-pin SODIMMs 1.8V. In fact, I have a box of these 256MB chips lying around.

The Ricoh 2022 supports 256 MB.

The compatible chips are posted as 128MB 144-pin 133MHz. I'd like to use the 256MB ones as I have a few lying around. I doubt they'll fit but I might get away with using this chip:

CT16M64S4W7E - 128MB, 144-pin SODIMM , SDRAM, PC133 from Crucial.com

I'd much rather pay $23 than $105.

Could be.

A+; Network +; PDI+

Andrew.R
    Ok, I just got the Ram chip from Crucial and it works fine. Thank you both very much for your help. I would never have figured that out.

I haven't got the hard drive cable yet and the scanner part activates now but gives an error saying I can't use the scan function until I put a drive in.

I have been able to do a TWAIN scan using the Windows driver but there is no Mac TWAIN driver that I can find for the Ricoh 2022.

TWAIN isn't ideal really anyway for multiple scans. I was hoping to be able to be able to scan directly from the printer to a local FTP server or email without having the drive installed. Given that the files would only be a few MB in size, shouldn't they fit in Ram and send from there?

It seems like I can't initiate any scans from the printer itself without the drive.