Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Clenaing Rollers

I was wondering how important it is to clean the cleaning rollers in the fuser units of Ricoh Aficio 350/450, 1035/45, 2035/45, and 3035/45? Whenever I buy new machines the cleaning rollers are almost always caked with toner build up, so this is why I am wondering. I always clean them, but seeing them unclean just makes me wonder how important it can be. Any help appreciated, thank you.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Clenaing Rollers

On these models it is important to have a fuser cleaning roller that has little or no toner buildup on it. If it gets too heavy it will actually cease to turn at all and copy quality issues will appear. With the production of the B079/B082 models Ricoh changed the cleaning roller from shiny metal to a black coated roller which works a lot better. The part # is AD042084.

Technician 50+ Posts

Replace at 150k

In my opinion I dont think the black coated rollers clean up very well.These rollers are a P.M. part with a replacement cycle of 150k. I think it's much easier to replace them, considering how inexpensive they are compared to the problems they could potentialy cause in the long run.

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    I'm assuming new machines means new-to-you. Often our service department swaps out good units or recently PM'd units with worn units to cut down on service costs. Also, if we know a machine is going back to the leasing company we will try to avoid replacing parts (read PMs) to save on costs as well. To answer the question, they should be cleaned or replaced when the fuser is serviced at 150k. If the machine runs a lot of heavy coverage or is in a dirty environment, the roller may need cleaned or replaced sooner.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Clenaing Rollers

We fit them as part of the 150k service. As for the coated/uncoated roller debate, if the toner doesn't stick to the coated roller as much, where does it go?

And what are you poor sods doing servicing servicing 340/450's? We sent the last of those turds to the tip long ago. And I've just seen a RTB that says no more parts for them from Jan next year.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Polo-022's Avatar
    I really want to know what's the difference between servicing 350/450 and 3500/4500 or whatever family model!! Don't blame anyone especially for these products. Everyone feels so poor-so do i- when gets a call to service them...Don't you?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    You can clean up the bare metal rollers but the black coated rollers, i would advise to change.

Very important to keept this roller clean. Some will not last 150k if customers do high coverage copies.

Seen problems with damge to the hot roller and press roller if not kept clean. One 1045 i looked at today was making a noise a rumbling sound. It was due to the cleaning roller once changed the noise went and the fusing unit turned far easier.