Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP4000 HDD

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

MP4000 HDD

Hi all,

just about to go to a job for a customer who is about 1hr away. they've got a ricoh MP4000 giving a SC672. from experience we've generally identified this fault as a bad hdd. Does anyone know if this machine runs a 2.5" 40GB HDD or 3.5"? Sata or IDE?

Any help would be great.thank you.

Kind Regards,
    Steve

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    Looks like it might be a 2.5" SATA.

But I cannot confirm.

[EDIT]

Quote Originally Posted by SM
    HDD: A 2.5" HDD (more than 40 GB) can be connected using an S-ATA I/F.
    Last edited by Cipher; 12-08-2008 at 01:37 PM.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    I'd order a controller board as a precaution as well. A lot of the new MP2550's have been blowing their controller boards all of a sudden, I've had one or two MPC3500's do it too.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Hi Guys,

thanks for the input... i dont have a same model machine here and Ricoh wont give out the info (they say that they dont know themselves). I dont want to order a HDD from Ricoh as it is a couple of hundred dollars (hefty for a HDD) if i can get one similiar down the road for a few hundred dollars less.

In regards to the controller board, what you said is possible however almost 100% of our SC672 have been a bad HDD. Also, i think what happened was the client turned off the machine while a print was in progress. when they turned it back on, the SC code came up.

Anyhow thanks again for the help.

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobysteve View Post
    Hi Guys,

thanks for the input... i dont have a same model machine here and Ricoh wont give out the info (they say that they dont know themselves). I dont want to order a HDD from Ricoh as it is a couple of hundred dollars (hefty for a HDD) if i can get one similiar down the road for a few hundred dollars less.

In regards to the controller board, what you said is possible however almost 100% of our SC672 have been a bad HDD. Also, i think what happened was the client turned off the machine while a print was in progress. when they turned it back on, the SC code came up.

Anyhow thanks again for the help.
    Let us know how you get on with fitting an aftermarket HDD.

When I was on the 2105 course we asked about the HDD being so costly and fitting generic HDD and we were told ricoh have now changed them so that only Ricoh HDD's can be fitted as they have code written on both HDD's and if it can't find the code it wont work. We did ask where but the said "we dont know"

I've fitted about 3 HDD's to the MPC range (all Ricoh) but thankfully all under warranty

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    Generic HDDs (WD) work fine on the MP C2500 (fitted a couple now).
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Okay.. been onsite.. the hdd is a sata 2.5" drive..

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

Lastly, thanks cipher for letting me know which other brand hdd works as it will come in handy.

OA techy

Post waxxy

Hi

In my experience most good brand IDE HDD works however before buying a new one its a good idea to stick your faulty HDD in a portable HDD case and partition and format in dos or in windows most times I have been lucky in saving these drives obviously you could also run a format through the machine.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    I will just add i have had a MPC 3000 develop Sc672 and the controller board being replaced cured the fault. The machine had no faults or calls in a year and was always downpowered correctly.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    hi,

i generally put the drive through a fitness test using a test created by the manufacturer of the HDD. Majority of the times, it comes back 100% perfect. so i format it and then put it back out in the field. Within 1-2mths its back with a bad hdd again. I put in a new hdd for the copier, and no more problems.

I've tried using new seagates previously but the copiers would take them.. just locks up on boot...

anyhow, thanks for the info... by the way, if the copier hdd is a 40gb, i assume you must only use a 40gb Hdd of a manufacturer (if compatible of course)? or can i use an 80gb? the reason why i ask is because it becomes difficult to get 40gbs nowadays..