Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    kfiresmith

Savin 8045/Aficio 3045 LDAP woes, weird one

Hey guys,
    I've got a few Savin 8045s here in my office that I'm trying to make more useful for everyone. Before I got here, everyone in the office was using these wonderful machines *only* for copy services, sheesh!

[disclaimer] I'm new to MFPs, I'm more of a systems guy. [/disclaimer]

My first move was to set up individual accounts with pin numbers & email addresses for a few users. This works fine, but has it's own obvious limitations, as they have to be created and maintained individually...

My next move was to set up LDAP lookups for recipient names and email addresses; everything works as it should, great.

My current task is to move the MFPs to LDAP for authentication so that any user from any location in the company can use the MFP to email scans.
    I really thought I had this 100% good to go, since the MFP prompts users to log in using their Active Directory credentials, but I've got a big problem:
    Users now cannot specify a sender address, that button is blurred out now. When attempting to email a scan, the user is prompted to enter a sender address!
    I would have thought it just used the LDAP credentials that you used to log in, but no.

Bonus question: Is there any way to auto-add the domain to a username when they are prompted to log on to the copier, example:
    right now I log on with: "userID@domaincontroller.domain.tld"; I'd freaking love it if people could just log on with "userID"

Thanks a million, copier-geniuses!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

You can have the machine automatically specify the sender address (User Tools > System Settings > File Transfer > Key Operator's Email Address - then turn it on in User Tools > Scanner Features > Send Settings > Sender's Name Default)

This may be moved around a bit, I was looking at a Lanier LD238c, but you get the idea...
    73 DE W5SSJ

kfiresmith
    Thanks Shadow1~!

That got me a bit closer. I can now send email while using LDAP for user authentication and addressbook lookups, but the problem with that solution is that *ALL* emails are sent from the default email account, rather than coming from whatever LDAP user is logged on and sending scans.

I'm really hoping that I can set things up so that the user that's logged on can be the "sender" of the scans, that should really help w/ accountability.

Thanks again!

- Kodiak

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I understand what you are saying and I'd like to be able to do that myself, but I've never found a way. Not that I've tried that hard - I've never had a customer want it.

Most of the setups I do are not even using a real email address - we always put in something like 3rdFlRicohCopier@MyCompany.com. All the firmware is NetBSD based, so you may be able to use a system variable (i.e. put in "%LOGINUSER%@MyCompany.Com" for the email address) but the answer may also be "No"

If you figure it out, share... now I sound like tech support
    73 DE W5SSJ

kfiresmith
    Thanks again Shadow1!

I get the disconnect between the AD login and the sender email. It makes sense since they are different systems.

I'll rename the sender email address along your lines. I wonder what happens when the SMTP servers start demanding a legit address.