Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Strange problem IM C300 + Wifi = SC899

Strange issue last week

IM C300 = Ethernet

Windows laptops = Wifi

They have two Wifi connections = Guest & Admin

Users were on the Admin Wifi and I was on the Guest Wifi

Both have the same IP = Gateway & DNS, can ping all

The strange problem was Word / Text docs all print fine, PDF failed on a SC899

SC899-00 D Software Performance Error (signal reception end)
    Unknown software error occurred.
    Occurs when an internal program behaves abnormally.
    In the case of a hardware defect
    1. Replace the hardware.
    In the case of a software error
    1. Turn the main power OFF/ON.
    2. Try updating the firmware.

Firmware was updated (package) did both App first, still same issue then by Sd card just to cover all options
    Users were using Google pdf reader which I got them to user Adobe Reader DC.
    I isolated the printer and the laptops with a 5 port hub I had and made a little network, All ok no issues

After all the head scratching I got them on the Guest Wifi and all was good.

question = What do you think was causing the issue on the admin Wifi? - I could not do anything IT as it was looked after via a remote company

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: Strange problem IM C300 + Wifi = SC899

Were they printing the PDF's from Edge? Had that cause all kinds of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Were they printing the PDF's from Edge? Had that cause all kinds of stupidity.
    Hi TonerMunkeh

Yes I think they were - limited users in the office last Thursday, I made them download pdf reader DC. all fine on Friday.

Just after posting this thread the same customer is having the same issue again, and im sure its a user that was not in last week and is using the admin WiFi which I think may be doing something strange.

Love it when the info I left last week with the user has not been shared with the rest of the office.
    Its a shared workspace with hot desks.

Dave

I doubt it will be to do with guest or admin wifi, it's usually based on the print job itself, the driver/port or firmware. You can probably rule out firmware if you already updated it, worth checking they are using a real driver (PCL 5 or 6 for example) and it is NOT on a WSD port. Then make sure they are actually printing the job properly using pdf reader as you suggested, not just reverting back to edge or chrome or something. There may have been people not at the office when you were last there who are now there, printing using a wrong driver or application. I had SC 899 as my last call on friday and it was firmware on a nearly brand new machine, it had released a new package 2 days after I installed it which fixed it. Then my third call today was another SC 899 and I already knew what it was so sorted it over the phone. They got new windows 11 laptops, which keep setting the printer up on their own, on WSD port and crap class drivers.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Turn off WSD on all new installations, stops windows trying to use it.

Been trying for years, usually log into WIM and turn of all ipv4 and 6 WSD options and also started turning off bonjour as well. Windows still seems to see it, plus the 'basic/local' IT guy will think he is adding a new printer correctly on a laptop simply by going 'add new printer' ...searching... 'Ricoh mpc307 ae028758h043' they add it and it automatically puts it on wsd port.
    I have been sarching how to completly stop WSD for literally over 2 years and nobody has found a full on kill switch yet

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
    released a new package 2 days after I installed it which fixed it. .
    Im going back tomorrow as i cannot remote onto the MFP - Package 2 ? would this be the file =
    IM C400F/IM C300F/IM C300/IM C400SRF Package_02 Ver.5.29

reason why I ask is because I only updated with, seems same Ver number
    IM C400F/IM C300F/IM C300/IM C400SRF Package(ALL) Ver.5.29

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
    I doubt it will be to do with guest or admin wifi, it's usually based on the print job itself, the driver/port or firmware. You can probably rule out firmware if you already updated it, worth checking they are using a real driver (PCL 5 or 6 for example) and it is NOT on a WSD port. Then make sure they are actually printing the job properly using pdf reader as you suggested, not just reverting back to edge or chrome or something. There may have been people not at the office when you were last there who are now there, printing using a wrong driver or application. I had SC 899 as my last call on friday and it was firmware on a nearly brand new machine, it had released a new package 2 days after I installed it which fixed it. Then my third call today was another SC 899 and I already knew what it was so sorted it over the phone. They got new windows 11 laptops, which keep setting the printer up on their own, on WSD port and crap class drivers.
    And if they still get an SC899 when printing from a PDF reader or from Adobe Acrobat, then try going to "Print Preview" and print from there. That will flatten the page which means remove all the unprintable crap like strange graphic characters and scrolling text and other crap like embedded OCR that Ricoh's and other Scan To OCR add.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    Turn off WSD on all new installations, stops windows trying to use it.
    I do the same, and it's mostly true that disabling WSD will prevent Windows from Automatically setting up network devices as indicated in the Network and sharing center, but what it won't do, is keep Windows from discovering the device through the Add printer wizard, and adding it as an IPP printer on the WSD port which will have the same infuriating results.
    This is the most common issue I see when my customers have their own IT do the setup. They almost NEVER seem to use the full driver package on a TCP/IP port.
    While you can also disable IPP, that will result in the Ricoh Connector App becoming unusable, and also have an affect on how Apple devices connect, in my experience

after the Firmware update

System/Copy 5.29 D0C95450R
    Network Support 18.85 D0C95463M
    Web Support 4.00 D0C95459M
    Fax 05.29.00 D0C95454L
    Scanner 05.00 D0C95457K
    Web Uapl 4.00 D0C95460L
    NetworkDocBox 5.29 D0C95461H
    animation 3.01 D0C95462K
    Printer 5.29 D0C95474P
    RPCS 3.23.20 D0C95475C
    Font EXP 1.00 D2415581
    PCL 1.08 D0C95476H
    IRIPS PS3 1.00 D0C95477A
    IRIPS PDF 1.14 D0C95478J
    IRIPS Font 1.15 D0AF5577A
    GraphicData 2.01 D0C95472F
    HelpData 0.02 D0C95473A
    MovieData 1.00 D0C95493B
    MovieData2 1.00 D0C95494B
    MovieData3 1.00 D0C95495B
    Data Erase Onb 1.05 D2625244
    PowerSaving Sys F.L3.25 D0C95453A
    RicohACT 1.20 --------
    Engine 2.11:04 D0C95776A

I have just checked this by opening the PKG file in notepad - all up to date

question
    in the good old days you can go down the firmware list and see it the mfp firmware was up to date - now you just see an Package and no breakdown - am i missing something?
    Dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 02-08-2022 at 04:17 PM.