03 generic parts

Just curious, has anyone ever used the compatible drum rebuild kits and developers?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    03 generic parts

Re: 03 generic parts

Quote Originally Posted by tufbnme View Post
    Just curious, has anyone ever used the compatible drum rebuild kits and developers?
    I've had some good luck using compatible drums, charge rollers and drum cleaning blades on the MP4001/MP5001. Print quality is absolutely fine, last compatible drum/charge roller/cleaning blade lasted for 180k before the charge roller started leaving marks and the machine had light prints. However, I absolutely do not think it is worth using compatible toner or developer.

Also, I have had good luck with compatible cleaning webs as well.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    03 generic parts

Personally I would not risk with demanding customers, Troublemakers especially if they pay well and if they are very far apart, with multifunctional colors there would be to be discussed for the use of compatible consumables , we often create defects on the prints because of the substandard pieces to rebuild the pcdu units.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    03 generic parts

You need to be extremely familiar with the "generic" parts supplier. Otherwise be prepared for blades that are either too stiff and damage the drum or too limp and quit working after about a week. That has been my experience with "generic' PCU rebuild kits.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zaxxon's Avatar

NO, don’t pay the parts from my own pocket.
    Please start you post with brand, model, problem.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Yes with different results - recently I buy kits from Katun and the seem OK. We also make some mistakes in the past like the second (thinner) cleaning blade has to flap over (just see the illustration in service manual/detail description) and we let it running against the drumcausing it to wear a lot.

All in all this is something one might consider to sequeeze a few more month of a MFP before a planned swap for example. Still I'd prefer to strip another returned MFP in our storage before rebuilding a unit though^^

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Using 03 parts is just a luck. If you find good supplier than you are ok, but be aware, he can change source and then you will have problems. I think that baying parts from big companies is ok as they will guarantee for parts. They need to do a lot of test to confirm that parts work well.
    To be ones, I make them and I know how much money is spend for just testing. A huge pile of money. Imagine, test OPC, sometimes yield is 450 000 pages. at least 3 test need to be done. That is truck of paper and one van of toner cartridges. Also, it need to be confirmed how OPC will perform with OEM and AM toners.. so a lot of test need to be done. Baying parts from company which actually make test is ok as they will guarantee that everything will work fine.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

From my experiences I would be very careful. We've used certain popular brands a lot on our machines. They can work well. Print quality is decent.

The problem occurs when things go wrong. (For me this is about once a year) The developer doesn't read correctly. The drum reads incorrectly. The toner is overtoning. The cleaning blade leaves a line. Then you got problems! And the costs to correct the problem will be way more than putting original parts.

If you really want to then give it a try but if doesn't work its like triple work to correct the fault.

Just 1 last thing,.. If at all possible always stick to original developer.