Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh MP C4502  Toner cartridge not set correctly

Ricoh MP C4502 Toner cartridge not set correctly

Good morning fellow techs. Winter is arriving here in the Rockies. Now to the problem. I have a C 4502. The customer went to replace the black toner and the replacement says that it is not set correctly. The toner is genuine Ricoh, both of them. However, the one being removed has black end, says genuine Ricoh MP C3502 & MP C5502.. The one we are trying to install has brown end. The only difference that I can see is the tab at the 2 o'clock position on the black one is smaller. Both install completely. The one with the brown end I have used these for years with no issues. When reinstalling the black ended one it is fine, switch to the brown ended one, toner cartridge not set correctly. I have pulled apart the rear of machine and nothing seems to be amiss. Any ideas?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP C4502 Toner cartridge not set correctly

Quote Originally Posted by thurmmy View Post
    Good morning fellow techs. Winter is arriving here in the Rockies. Now to the problem. I have a C 4502. The customer went to replace the black toner and the replacement says that it is not set correctly. The toner is genuine Ricoh, both of them. However, the one being removed has black end, says genuine Ricoh MP C3502 & MP C5502.. The one we are trying to install has brown end. The only difference that I can see is the tab at the 2 o'clock position on the black one is smaller. Both install completely. The one with the brown end I have used these for years with no issues. When reinstalling the black ended one it is fine, switch to the brown ended one, toner cartridge not set correctly. I have pulled apart the rear of machine and nothing seems to be amiss. Any ideas?
    Interesting. It may say Genuine Ricoh but unless you had a typo, C3502 and C5502 do not use the same toner bottle. Same recipe as they use they same developer but different amount of toner. c3002/C3502 has a yield of 28,000 print where as C4502/C5502 has a yield of 31,000.

It may be damaged contacts either on the bottle or the toner bottles detection board.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

If one works and the other one doesn't then it sounds like you are wasting your time tearing apart the machine.
    Like Tim, I'm also confused by your model numbers.
    C3002/C3502 are same
    C4502/C5502 are same

I've been told that you can use the C3502 in the C4502/5502, but not the other way around due to the larger size, but I've not tried it myself.

You haven't mentioned even just trying another toner cartridge. It just sounds like a bad chip

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I've been told that you can use the C3502 in the C4502/5502, but not the other way around due to the larger size, but I've not tried it myself.
    Had to once or twice when the supplies clerk forgot to order before going on vacation. I also remember when the C2051/C2551 came out they were able to use C2050.C2550 color toners but not the black. bottle would not slide all the way in.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

The 3002/3502 will work in 4502/5502 but not other way around. The OEM 3002/3502 are black, but no model numbers are on cartridge. If the one you took out says (genuine Ricoh MP C3502 & MP C5502) it's a compatible. If the Oem toner is 4502 and says not set correctly maybe, your machine is not a 4502. Print a config page
    and verify. Maybe your new cartridge chip is defective. Swap it with used chip and see if it works.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kleankopy View Post
    The 3002/3502 will work in 4502/5502 but not other way around. The OEM 3002/3502 are black, but no model numbers are on cartridge. If the one you took out says (genuine Ricoh MP C3502 & MP C5502) it's a compatible. If the Oem toner is 4502 and says not set correctly maybe, your machine is not a 4502. Print a config page
    and verify. Maybe your new cartridge chip is defective. Swap it with used chip and see if it works.
    The Cxx02s did not use an RFID chip. They used a toner bottles detection board and the contacts on it and the bottles can get physically damaged if the bottles are shoved into the machine to hard. I have had to straighten a few out. See 4.14.17 TONER BOTTLE DETECTION BOARD section of the manual.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Yes, I am familiar with the C3502 and C4502 differences. The bottle I took out for sure says Genuine Ricoh C3502 and C5502 on it. That is what has me confused. It works. Still has some toner left in it. The one I attempt to put in, actually have tried 2, are for sure Genuine Ricoh. I find no references to a toner cartridge that is for both. Also confusing. I did check the contacts on the PCB on rear of machine. Why would the questionable toner work and the correct toners not? And 2 of them besides. I have ordered a cartridge of a reliable aftermarket toner and will try and see what happens. I don't normally use aftermarket toner but I need to try and see what happens.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Slimsob, when reviewing the S.M. on the bottle detection board, I did look at these yesterday and they looked ok. I didn't try to reform. I seems that this would be the most likely cause, but why would one work and the other not? When I go back over there I will recheck and maybe reform those contacts.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Slimsob, when reviewing the S.M. on the bottle detection board, I did look at these yesterday and they looked ok. I didn't try to reform. I seems that this would be the most likely cause, but why would one work and the other not? When I go back over there I will recheck and maybe reform those contacts.
    The contacts on the bottle are usually where the problem occurs and it could be the bottle is defective.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Not likely 2 new bottles would both be bad. Not impossible but unlikely. I will try a third one though.