Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobiray View Post
    I am sooooooo frustrated with the response to this issue. April? Does anyone else feel like Ricoh has really, really dropped the ball on this? In April this will be going on 11 or 12 months with no resolution!!! Anyone successfully warrantying any units, developer? Getting reimbursed for labor?
    Ricoh Europe have a scheme up already with the "new" toner dev, pcu and dev unit. You need to send in smc sheets, copy quailty and service notes.

VEGACOPIERSUPPLIES
    I was having all the same issues with my mp4500s. What I did is that I changed the developer of the mp4500 for the 2045 and I changed the toner and the toner motor for a 2045 and now they all are working fine. No more issues. Copy quality is great. I hope this will help you...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MP4500/MP4000 Ongoing Copy Quality Issues

We've known about this trick for ages, and yes, it works great. Its just that most of us have no control over what toner gets put in the machines. The customer calls in for supplies and the warehouse ships what they are supposed to use.

Bottom line is Ricoh failed miserably in their response to this problem, and still doesn't have it fully corrected.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

What's the status on these machines as of now? I've got my only MP4000 starting to give CQ issues, and I believe both the drum and developer are past their life (although I'm not sure - we didn't install it, so we don't know what it got from the beginning).

So I'm ordering the stuff for a PM, and I'd like to get some advice if any - using 2045 parts, although tempting, is not an option, for the reason Shadow1 pointed out.

Cheers!
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

What's wrong with Ricoh...

I can not believe that Ricoh continue to "upgrade" a lousy design like this. The AF450 sucked. The 1045 sucked. The 2045 sucked. The 3045 sucked. The MP4500 sucked and so on. There are fundamental errors in the design. Don't they take a hint?

Adonis must die!

They should have had a larger development unit, with maybe two mag rollers. The PCU unit should have been made bigger, stronger and they should have added a cleaning brush too. Replaced the charge roller with a corona wire and for the fusing unit... they should have added a huge cleaning web - that the user can change. They should have had a major waste toner box (it is after all a lot of empty space in the machine).
    And/or they should have sent a few industrial spies to Kyocera and copied their smaller B/W solutions.

We managed to stop our salesmen from selling the MP4000 series, after they had delivered one model. We have more service calls on this model then we have on 10 Kyocera B/W copiers. If I have a bit of luck we can replace this model for a MP6xxx from Ricoh.

And while I'm all worked up here... what's with the 1018, 2018, MP2000 etc.. With these small components with so short life... just make it a cartridge model so the user can change the PCU unit and the fuser by them selves. Or make something that can handle 225-250k copies between each PM.
    We have customers with rather small HP printers that run 225k between each maintenance EVERY single time. No problem. And they manage several million pages before they need to be replaced.

I know Ricoh can make them better. Why don't they? Is it a strategy to push the customers over to color? or more expensive B/W machines?
    If I win a hundred million $ in the lottery, I will design the ultimate copier
    Superior paper feed. Large dev unit, large drum, large fuser and a kick ass controller.

I'm going to blow a few old copiers to pieces one day soon. . Fill the hot roller with 50 grams of dynamite, and just connect the detonator to the fuser lamp power. Then all I need is a simple timer, a slow speed camera and Vengence is mine

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lotec View Post
    I'm going to blow a few old copiers to pieces one day soon. . Fill the hot roller with 50 grams of dynamite, and just connect the detonator to the fuser lamp power. Then all I need is a simple timer, a slow speed camera and Vengence is mine
    Now that gives me some ideas...
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Hair Straightener Tech 500+ Posts rsyarcia's Avatar
    Lotec that's a novelty, lol
    Nobody is perfect..

Re: MP4500/MP4000 Ongoing Copy Quality Issues

Here are some tricks we are tried:

Cleaning the mag roller as an obvious.
    do an engine memory clear, run the machine for 100 pages, and see if it gets better
    if not put a new developer in and DON'T do ID sensor initialization, developer init. or anything in SP mode.
    just let the thing play whit the ID sensor readings.

It wont solve the problem but works a bit better than before.

EastTN-tech

What about the firmware? Have they been updated to the latest version?

EastTN-tech

Has the firmware been updated to the latest version?