Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

MP4500/MP4000 Ongoing Copy Quality Issues

I have a large population of MP4500 and MP4000 units that I service. These units are proving to be extremely difficult to regulate with regard to overtoniing and ongoing copy quality problems that show as dirty background and banding. In most cases the drum and developer fail far short of the expected yield. I have been working diligently to find a lasting solution to these problems. Lately I have been concentrating primarily on the mag. roller assy - in most cases I find that the surface is heavily coated with a very dense toner residue. If there are any suggestions as to what can be done to help get these particular models to run more consistently regarding overall copy quality please advise.

I would like to thank everyone in advance for your input and assistance.

Caveman

Copier Psychologist 250+ Posts Kopyrtek's Avatar
    Well dont feel like you are alone in this.We have been having problems since we put these out too.Although tech bulletins on this have helped some, not all will.Lightly cleaning the mag roller with a scoth brite has helped with the build up and overtoning but there is still no sure fire way to resolve this as yet.
    Replacing drum and developer is costly and still no word on a permanant fix from Ricoh.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I spent the last few days at Ricoh Tech school - the instructors get a lot of inside info...

There is a new formula toner and developer supposed to be released shortly. This is what we have been telling them the problem was from the start!

In the mean time, several techs have been running the B079 developer and toner and getting the machines to run a full PM cycle. You have to "hack" the toner hopper, toner motor, change fuser temp, and make sure the customer gets the "right" toner and it triples your service intervals.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh have modified the Dev unit, part number D0092301, I have fitted a few of these and so far so good
    The mod bulletin number for this is MD009017

I have been adjusting the doctor blade gap to a tight .35mm.
    I figured it was too high of a brush causing the toner to be pressed into the mag roller.
    So far all my machines have reduced in calls for this problem.
    I have even found the gap to be .45 on the front and .40 in the rear on brand new machines.
    I check the gap everytime I replace the developer.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Service Manager 250+ Posts FRIDGEMAGNET's Avatar
    Here in Europe we now have a problem with faulty toner cartridges - the end that drives from the motor has not been moulded correctly - gives faint copies and add toner.

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    Ricoh has know about this for months. As stated before, you can get the machines to run with the B079 supplies, but it can cause a supply nightmare if not everyone in your company understands (Ask me how I know...)

The newest dev units have additional vents and filters on them. I don't know if there are any internal changes or not. I still don't have these machines going to yield, even after dev units, drum shaft and drum grounds being replaced. I really don't understand why it took so long to develop a new toner formula??? If the toner fuses to the mag roller, isn't it a little bit obvious?

Any time frame on the "shortly" to be released new toner?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    I spoke with our Regional Tech manager today and these were the current recommendations/thoughts for MP3500/4500 and 4000/5000 series.

Clean the mag roller with cloth only. No ScotchBrite or brass brush. Anything else will created scrates which will increase the tendancy for toner to build up on the mag roller. Suggested using only water although some Techs are using Simple Green or alchohol. Some are using RainX on cleaned mag roller. The new DV units for the MP4000/5000 are coming with a coating on the mag roller to help prevent the toner built up. There is going to be new toner for these models.

Drum ground is vital to both series. Some dealers are adding A0962341 drum ground from old models, mounting it to the screw to the left of the end of the drum shaft as viewed from the rear and using conductive grease on the end of the drum shaft where the this drum ground (A0962341) will contact the shaft. Some are replacing the drum shaft bearing with G0601147. In any case if repacing the drum ground bearing don't repalce the holder (D0091145) as it is very time consumming. Remove the bearing from the new holder and put the bearing in the old holder.

Check for continutiy between D0092317 and D0092318 for the charge roller tin the PCU assembly in the MP4000/5000 series. We have found this to often be "open". The small piece (D0092317) going through the rear frame of the PCU "frame" can be removed and formed to make a better contact with D0092318.

Check Bulletin D009-20 which describes the transfer belt lever being in the wrong position which can cause the transfer belt to rub against the belt when the ID patch is developed. This results in the belt "cleaning" off the the patch causing toner to be added even though the density is actually correct. Keep the toner waste and registration roller paper dust collection clean.

When changing developer, thoroughly vacumm the entire PCU unit, and then block off the toner add "hole" with paper to prevent any toner being added when doing developer initialization. Some techs are running 10 skyshots before doing developer initialization to reduce the toner tensity for the TD calibration.

As per tech bulletins, change SP 2201-01 (dev bias from 560 to 660), SP 22201-02 (dev bias for ID from 400 to 500), SP 2001-01 (charge roller bias increase by 100v).

That's about it, as I recall. These models are driving us crazy and are causing us real problems with our customers. If anyone has any other suggestions, please post them.

Cheers
    Last edited by zico21; 02-06-2009 at 04:07 AM.
    Come on Fulham!

Quote Originally Posted by cobiray View Post
    Any time frame on the "shortly" to be released new toner?
    "About April" on the new toner/developer... of course there is also a new katana engine being released "About April" so its anybody"s guess
    73 DE W5SSJ

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    I am sooooooo frustrated with the response to this issue. April? Does anyone else feel like Ricoh has really, really dropped the ball on this? In April this will be going on 11 or 12 months with no resolution!!! Anyone successfully warrantying any units, developer? Getting reimbursed for labor?