Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Robocow
    Nope. Checking the system, it too is a 64 bit OS. Bummer.

Found the ultimate cure: A Mod 1911 .45 cal. Cures all POS applications.

Oh well, thanks again to all.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Dual boot to Another OS? haha Always that scan to email.

Robocow

Ricoh 1022 Scanning issue

OK. I'm still at it. I worked it down to these issues:

1. All appear to be right that RICOH no longer supports good machines like these. No firmware upgrades. Shame on RICOH for short-cutting their customers (thinking we would buy a new one so soon). "Brother," here I come.

2. If scanning from Adobe, whether with its versions 8 or 9, I think the Adobe program recognizes only an older version of a TWAIN driver. This occurs (I think) because of how it registers into the computer when being loaded up. Meanwhile, I found there is a Ver 2 and Ver 3 of TWAIN. When working on machines with Vista or Windows 7, Adobe doesn't give you a choice but to look for the older version of TWAIN (i.e. Ver 2). So, when you attempt to scan through Adobe, it generically indicates it is finding the TWAIN 1027 driver but it is REALLY looking for the older version even when the computer has the newer TWAIN driver installed. When this occurs, the Adobe program simply shuts down; every time. And, Adobe never looked for the newer version of TWAIN. So, shame on Adobe for not making this fix. (Their on-phone tech persons are, thus far, inept and make excuses for why Adobe won't work). Shame on Adobe again for this and for suckering guys like me into upgrading when it didn't matter and didn't fix the problem.

3. The acid test: I put a document in the 1022 scanner and pulled up WordPerfect. I selected "insert" then "Graphics / Picture" and then "acquire image." Voilla, there is Ver 3 of the TWAIN. I hit "scan" on the TWAIN and the RICOH 1022 goes to work. The computer displays the captured image and I then "publish" (i.e. saved) it as a PDF file. (Now, here is where Adobe shines). I pull up Adobe and am able to retrieve the document I scanned while using a program OTHER than Adobe. It worked, not as swiftly as if Adobe had worked properly in the first instance, but it at least caused the computer and scanner to interface and work.

4. Conclusions: This tells me the 32 bit vs. 64 bit issue is approachable. Instead, the problem lies with Adobe. They could solve this issue but they choose instead, not to, causing guys like me to upgrade when they tell me that they no longer support Ver 8 of Adobe. Well, they don't support the latest Adobe version either. The RICOH 1022 was able to scan when avoiding the use of Adobe. But, when Adobe was used, the program would not pull up the latest version of the TWAIN driver, causing the Adobe program to shut down. Again, shame on Adobe.

So, there may be hope for those of you who have customers seeking to keep their RICOH 1022 versions (or similar vintage) in the office.

Final thoughts: I'm not buying another RICOH and I'm "in" the market. Also, there is no need to upgrade to a newer Adobe product since their latest version (Ver 9) doesn't work in this instance, either. (In fact, their on-phone rep told me today, that Adobe 9 and the RICOH 1022 were not compatible. WHAT? When calling them with the problem before I upgraded, they said, "Sorry, we don't support Ver 8 anymore. You must upgrade to Ver 9." Then when you upgrade the Adobe product and are faced with the same problem, now they can officially tell you, "Sorry, Adobe 9 and that particular machine are not compatible." Shouldn't they tell people this before they encourage them to upgrade to Ver 9? What a rip! So, I'm now looking at another PDF program, "NITRO PDF". Don't know if it will work at this point, but I'm giving their "30 day free trial" a whirl. And, if it works, I'll pass it on.

That's all I know. Best of luck to you all. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Man it is the way the electronics Industry works. Soon as the NEW Version comes out the OLD Version of something Generally has maybe 2 years of Support Left in it. Same for Software, Operating Systems, Hardware.
    It is hard as hell to Get my Creative Xfi-Gamer which is only 2-3 years old to work in Windows 7x64. I get crackling Noises after a while forcing a reboot. It's just crappy Drivers.

Just for giggles I looked up release date of 1022

Introduction Date:
    11/1/2001
    Discontinuance Date:
    10/1/2003

See the 2 year thing. That is pretty much it.
    Think this. 1022 is how many generations back?
    1022(2522 Savin)
    2022(4022 Savin)
    mp2510(8025e Savin)
    mp2550(9025 Savin) Release Feb 2008

The 1022 is nearly 4 Generations old. and I am betting 5 before June. The 90 series has been around over a year.

It sucks, cause people like us are left trying to find work arounds or explaining to customers.

Biggest suck I've had was explaining to many customers scanning to Folder Via SMB for Vista is not possible for their machine... OR Would be possible with some future firmware which took Ricoh/Savin 9 months to freaking release.

Wonder If I'll have some of these old machines come back to haunt me when customers that had XP jump up to Win 7.

Robocow

Scan Drivers for slightly older multi-function machines

I feel for you because those customers will be calling soon. I'm just an end user and not as adept as you pros on the issue, although I am conversant with how to turn on the computer.

I'll let you know if I find a fix [for your future, "hey, you sold me this multi-functioner that doesn't work with Windows 7 (64)," customers]. I'm not quite done. I'm tempted to hire a programmer to write a driver and if it works, I would consider making it available to all for free, just to say, "back at ya" to those who placed all of us in this position.

Perhaps a "class action" against the hardware manufacturers would wake them up. The Theory of deceit: Manufacturer says, "yea, this multi function copier, printer, scanner, clothes washing machine will perform a bizillion copies/scans per day for at least 10 years and perhaps more. And, forgot to mention, it will fold your shorts, too." The poor customer 5 years later: "Gee, I just upgraded to the latest Apple/Microsoft (they merge in 2014) WinMac(TM) 10 (x 128) O.S. and I can't get my underware to scan." The manufacturer: "Sorry, we no longer support that machine." Expert witness at trial: "It would take the manufacturer five seconds of its valuable time to create and provide a firmware upgrade to its loyal customers." Hum, I like it.

All who are sorely disappointed with the hardware guys and who say a "class" would be in order, raise your hands.

Thanks again. My best.

Yay for someone knowing the pain!

Robocow

Ricoh 1022 Scanning issue

To all,

Found a "fix" and am happy to pass it on.

I circumvented Adobe Acrobat 9 and attempted to get the RICOH scanner to recognize Word and also WordPerfect. Both interfaced and allowed me to operate the scaner. This told me it was not a 32 vs. 64 bit issue or a Windows 7 issue (attempting to interface with an oldler copier). It's an Adobe Acrobat product issue. Acrobat 9 does not recognize a more recent TWAIN scan driver installed on the computer. Consequently, when it attempts to scan it looks for an older version (which is non-existent) and then just shuts down when it can't find it. Meanwhile, the newer TWAIN scan driver is there all along. The Acrobat program will not let you select the newer TWAIN and it will not automatically update to the newer TWAIN.

The solution. Avoid Adobe products. Don't get suckered into upgrading from 8 to 9. [If you're "up" on military acronyms, look this one up: "BOHICA." BOHICA is what your neighbors will hear you yell at the top of your lungs when you upgrade from 8 to 9 and then discover you still can't scan with your tried and true scanner/printer/coperi].

I am on a 14 day free trial with Nitro and it is working beautifully. Granted there may be a free version of Nitro somewhere, I'm so appreciative of having found a cure, I'm buying it and discarding Acrobat. I have been working with Adobe the better part of three weeks and am still without a real cure. Adobe has yet to acknowledge it is their product that is causing the issue.

My wish to all is you have a prosperous and healthy 2010.

G

Yeah Adobe the Resource Hog. Always taking up more memory than other PDF viewers. Always wanting to Update and Start with Windows. I quit using Adobe a while back.

Robocow
    Yup.

Thanks again for your great input.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    This is what I suggest you offer up.Attachment 1096
    Thank you for this input. Have been looking for something along these lines!

Bil