Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Question MP4000 PM for fuser

Just wondering how people are handling repairs on MP4000 fusers. Are you doing the Hot and pressure roller when doing a cleaning web. Or are you just doing the cleaning web and waiting for the other parts to go bad. Also what are your general times to rebuild a fuser. For me it took 3 hours for the cleaning web and heat rollers. Crazy that it takes 4 hours to do a full PM.

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Our shop has already purchased three of the web assemblies. We take them out to the call and rebuild them at the shop in our spare time. Before long, we will probably get a fuser or two to keep in the shop and do the same with them, but for now... it's rebuild in the field.

I haven't performed a PM on one of these yet. I actually don't work on them that much either. But, my advice would be to rebuild the fuser while there. I mean, if you can take the web out of the picture, why not.

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar
    I have done about four webs so far, but I have done nothing with the rest of the fuser. I have one box with close to 500,000 clicks on it and the heat tube looks almost brand new.
    Like unisys, I keep a complete web assembly and rebuild in the shop. I keep finding fused set screws in the models out in the field so there's not much you can do with those at the customer site. Also, as many E clips as is in these things now it's a lot easier to disassemble the web units in the shop.
    As much of a pain in the ass it is to rebuld the web it has improved the life of the other fuser components tremendously.

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    We bought a fuser to be rebuilt in the shop and to have ready for replacement. I've rebuilt them in the field in 2 hours, total pm at about 2:45-3:00. The design is ridiculous, but it's on par with the dev unit issue.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MP4000 PM for fuser

Check the prices on the web unit vs. just the web - may not be worth rebuilding for some of you.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Web replacement can be accomplished within 30 minutes - after doing a few they become easier. I personally believe that there is a great cost savings to be realized by doing the web only instead of of replacing the entire web assembly. Even if the set screw(Hex) on the the pick-up spool seizes - replacing the set screw and main gear (AB01-0177)that the hex screw secures does not increase the replacement time.

Caveman

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    Check the prices on the web unit vs. just the web - may not be worth rebuilding for some of you.