Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    New MP4000 Dev Unit

Have youse guys noticed we get contributions from all over the globe except Japan? Perhaps their too embarrassed and worried about losing face that they're the ones that designed this load of hot cocky cack!
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    New MP4000 Dev Unit

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama46 View Post
    Another effective if not temporary fix is to set SP5118 to 1.
    Well you had me till I read the manual
    Copiers are only as good as there last service

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    New MP4000 Dev Unit

I've used that one before - It was on a machine with a sticky toner clutch that would have been a bigger mess than it already was if the customer tried to use it. While I was packing up my tools and ordering the part I watched someone flip up the "OUT OF ORDER" sign to put their originals in the doc feeder, turn it on, and they were reaching for the power cord to plug it in when I stopped them... "but I need to make a copy"
    73 DE W5SSJ

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    New MP4000 Dev Unit

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Have youse guys noticed we get contributions from all over the globe except Japan? Perhaps their too embarrassed and worried about losing face that they're the ones that designed this load of hot cocky cack!
    Logonda, you have a point. It could be they would look at a site like this as a group of unprofessional hacks that have no idea what they are doing, even though we know different.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    New MP4000 Dev Unit

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    I've used that one before - It was on a machine with a sticky toner clutch that would have been a bigger mess than it already was if the customer tried to use it. While I was packing up my tools and ordering the part I watched someone flip up the "OUT OF ORDER" sign to put their originals in the doc feeder, turn it on, and they were reaching for the power cord to plug it in when I stopped them... "but I need to make a copy"
    Incredible!

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Technician 250+ Posts Ricoh-ono's Avatar
    I've started ordering extra vacuum filters to go with my frequent developer changes. I think these machines are toner intolerant.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. ~Theodore Roosevelt

Technician

MP 4000 dev unit

Ricoh has upgraded the dev unit sleeve, and new part # D0092301.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    New MP4000 Dev Unit

Interesting. Is that the whole mag roll assy D009-3100? Did they issue a bulletin? Can you post it if so. Thanks for the info.

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Customer Service Engineer Pandy's Avatar
    I have been told that new toner is being produced for this model and the B296 previous model that uses it. They have recently released a new part number for dev assy and mag assy parts (TSB:B291-014). I know these are for the B296 only but they could be releasing new mag for the D009 series. What we have been doing is the adjustments, replacing devo, but also cleaning out the grooves in the mag roller with a good sharp picker finger. I have yet to see one of these models go the whole pm without light cq issues.
    "I can get along with everybody, some people I can get along with and some I can get along without" --My Grandfather

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Here's my take on the whole Ricoh toner density system in general and the unique problems of the MP3500/4500 and MP4000/5000 in particular. I would appreciate any comments corrections, opinions, etc. I apologize in advance for being long winded, but I'm using this opportunity to get things clear in my mind.

When new developer is installed, by design it is assumed that the proper toner developer ratio is present and therefore the developer initialization process "calibrates" the TD sensor so that it has a reference of what the proper toner density should measure.

After that, the current TD reading is compared to the TD reference reading after every print. If the current TD reading is higher than the TD reference then the developer mixture is undertoned and toner needs to be added.

Since the proper toner density of the developer is only one factor of how dense the image will be on the drum, Ricoh uses the ID sensor to measure the other factors in the copy process that can affect print density. The ID sensor is literally measuring the reflectivity of the black patch (using the reflectivity of the bare drum as a reference to somewhat compensate for the ID sensor getting dirty which would affect the readings of the black patch).

Now, the density of the black patch can be affected by any part of the copy process (except paper transfer) so any "normal change" or problem in the charge, drum, developer bias, developer density, ID sensor (mechanical or electrical) etc will affect the density of the black patch. So, under normal conditions, Ricoh is using the ID sensor to compensate for normal changes in these components and conditions. The results from the ID sensor is used to "modify" the TD reference to reflect these changes. As each page is printed, the current TD reading is compared to the now modified TD refernece to determin if toner needs to be added. Also, this information is used to determin how much toner will be added.

When things go wrong and the developer either get overtonned or overtonned, it either a vailure of the TD sensor or its logic (less likely) or anythiing that could affect the black patch (where do we start!).

Now the real world. The big difference in the two latest series is the change in toner and the problem with the buildup on the mag roller. The buildup not only affects the immediate copy process but also changes the black patch which then incorrectly modifies the TD reference whcih leads to developer failure. Apparently, Ricoh's solution is to tread the mag roller to prevent the buildup.

Another comon problem is poor drum ground (through the drum bearing), which again, affects the immediate copy process, but also changes the black patch and therefore, (imporperly) the TD reference, again leading to developer failure. We've been adding a drum bearing grounding strip which assures a good drum ground

A common problem we have come across for the MP4000-5000 is a poor connection for the charge roller current path which again affects the black patch ...blah..blah..blah...... By repositioning the two pieces that make up the charge roller path a much more positive conductive path is achieved.

I've attached two of our in-house bulletins (preliminary) to illustrate what we're doing. Much of this information was passed on to us, but unfortunately, I don't know who to properly give credit to for this. These are not fianlized, but so far taking these steps appears to be successful for us.

Again, the key in my mind is to realize that anything that can affect the copy process can affect the black patch which will affect the TD reference which can lead to developer failure. Also (although obvious), monitoring the SP data for the TD readings and ID sensor readings can be very usefull.

Again, I would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zico21; 03-22-2009 at 02:52 AM.
    Come on Fulham!