Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: Are you using the right screwdriver?

There are brands and brands. I can count on Toshiba and now KM. Never ever had problems with Toshiba's naming parts and ordering them. They call one part the same in Service manual, Service handbook, Parts guide etc. Now with KMs I'm starting to see some difficulties, they're not so accurate.
    But what you describe sounds like a big ➖ for you guys, i can feel that.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andy227 View Post
    Hi guys. As we are talking about screwdrivers, let me recommend this recent purchase I made. Electric screwdriver, small and compact enough to fit in the tool case, and with just enough low-end torgue to handle photocopier screws. I still use the normal hand-crank, but for jobs where I have to get off the back cover, a zillion pesky screws to get to the bicu, etc, this is brilliant. I don't use it where I don't want to get it covered with toner. I charge it with a phone charger routinely every couple of days. Honestly, I cannot recommend it enough, saves a lot wrist stress, I love it, the best I have seen, and it won't break the bank ! This is were I got it (and then all my other colleagues) from in the UK, but I'm sure its available in the US also, the Batavia Compact grip electric screwdriver. Oh, and a Merry Christmas to you all.

Batavia BAT7062924 Compact Grip Cordless Screwdriver 3.6V Li-Ion from Lawson HIS
    I have tried an electrical screwdriver recently and the problem was to align the screw in the hole when tighting. Even at very low turning speed the movement of the screw was elliptical, so almost impossible to centrate it and causing damage.
    But for loosen a screw it is a real convenience!!! Need to say that this e-screwdriver i used was heavy and long, so difficult to centrate the screw. The one you propose seems to be short and lighter, so it might workout fine.
    Do you experience the eliptical movement of a screw with your proposed e-screwdriver?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    I have tried an electrical screwdriver recently and the problem was to align the screw in the hole when tighting. Even at very low turning speed the movement of the screw was elliptical, so almost impossible to centrate it and causing damage.
    But for loosen a screw it is a real convenience!!! Need to say that this e-screwdriver i used was heavy and long, so difficult to centrate the screw. The one you propose seems to be short and lighter, so it might workout fine.
    Do you experience the eliptical movement of a screw with your proposed e-screwdriver?

Noting replace real hand feel when it comes to tools. There are just to many cons to an electrical screw driver.
    Whatever

Senior Tech 250+ Posts mjunkaged's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Noting replace real hand feel when it comes to tools. There are just to many cons to an electrical screw driver.
    I'm not a proponent of power driver either, I'm nearly as fast, and way more accurate, I agree with Allan on the tactile feel.

Also, years ago, I stumbled across ACR screwdriver tips, made by snap-on and sold at Katun. I still have some new ones, they never let me down no matter what country the phillips head was made in. They really bite into the first couple hundred screws, but after you wear those off, they STILL don't strip screws!!
    AND, if you have stuck screws, a new tip may save you drilling the screw head off to get the unit apart!!

PS to rookie technicians: STOP OVER-TIGHTENING SCREWS!!!!!! You're gonna want to remove it again some day, or your co-worker might.

Are you using the right screwdriver?

"Hand feel" as in turning a self taper backwards (CCW) first until it clicks over the end of the thread then turning it CW and then you don't start cutting a second thread in plastic. Had to ban a tech from using a electric driver as he was continually stripping threads out of plastic parts.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    "Hand feel" as in turning a self taper backwards (CCW) first until it clicks over the end of the thread then turning it CW and then you don't start cutting a second thread in plastic. Had to ban a tech from using a electric driver as he was continually stripping threads out of plastic parts.

Jip it absolutely urkes me to find striped out screw holes. Then need a small flat screw driver to wedge it out.
    Or even mixing screws. Put the black ones and the silver ones and the anodized ones and the cup screws and the cheese heads and the self-tappers back where they came from. Some guys just don't seem to care!

Could be that i am just a dick but i like it the way it should be.

Had a fellow tech use warn out screw drivers beyond functional, if he left it on the workshop counter i will bend it in a U ish shape and leave it where i found it or else just throw it in the bin.
    A week later he will manage to do that to a new fong-kong screwdriver and the same thing repeats.
    Never knew who the culprit was.
    Whatever

Senior Tech 250+ Posts mjunkaged's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    I (and all of us) have to be on guard not to mix up/fail to notice the plastic vs. machine screws. If your tech. is not paying attention to that he's still going to strip out holes......or screws? Also good point about how we all should know how to avoid cross-threading by not learning the '1/2 turn CCW technique'.

Jip it absolutely urkes me to find striped out screw holes. Then need a small flat screw driver to wedge it out.
    Or even mixing screws. Put the black ones and the silver ones and the anodized ones and the cup screws and the cheese heads and the self-tappers back where they came from. Some guys just don't seem to care!

Could be that i am just a dick but i like it the way it should be.
    No, your just a tech that cares!
    I always work on the theory that a certain style of screw was put in a certain place for a particular purpose so therefor they have to go back where they should be.
    (Unless of course its a Lexmark who just randomly put different type screws anywhere and no two screws are the same size.)
    Last edited by Lagonda; 01-04-2019 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjunkaged View Post
    I (and all of us) have to be on guard not to mix up/fail to notice the plastic vs. machine screws. If your tech. is not paying attention to that he's still going to strip out holes.......

That should be a flogging offence!

Flogging.jpg

Yes 39 lashes!
    Whatever