Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar

Thumbs up The Much Maligned MP4000/5000

I went to look at a jamming problem on an MP5000 today and, for a change, I'd like to say something positive.

It had the new dev unit with the coated mag roller and a PCU installed, under warranty, at roughly 240k after much buggering about with temporary mods and more devs than I care to remember. It then had a drum and blade (not done by me, I hasten to add) at 420k.

Today, having churned out some 469k, the machine has eventually decided that it would like a fuser and transfer service and the copy quality is smart as a dart. It's had a web or two of course, and what a job they are, but I can't grumble at that.

Despite the PM cycle being 160k, can I be the first (and maybe last) to say that these machines aren't always the piles of turd which they're made out to be? Ok, we had all sorts of problems with them shortly after launch but, touchwood, maybe the worst is over. Any machine which can treble its PM cycle on fuser parts can't be all bad, can it?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    The Much Maligned MP4000/5000

Quote Originally Posted by Llama God View Post
    Any machine which can treble its PM cycle on fuser parts can't be all bad, can it?
    I think you may stand alone on this one until after they fix the toner/developer problem.

I will grant you the fuser life is very good for this size machine, but the web assembly design??? C'mon - my dog could do better than that. and the transfer case design is o.k. if you disable the overflow sensor, which is annother sore point with me.

Actually, I do kind of agree with you - the problem is not with the design of the machine, but with the engineers who refuse to recognize and correct the obvious toner problem. And I don't buy the "it's not easy being green" excuse for not fixing the toner - how green is it to keep replacing developer after only 10% of its rated life???
    73 DE W5SSJ

I think you must have misunderstood regarding the web design - I was saying that it's a crock of shite.

Talking Going to try this

Haven't installed yet but....

MP4000-8200-web-mod 004.jpg

MP4000-8200-web-mod 003.jpg

Using AE040051 oil roller from Aficio 1055/ FT7900 series.
    Have to end for end the one way bearing on the oil roller. Even if it does not last as long, it is way easier to change.

Any thoughts?
    Dave

Copier Psychologist 250+ Posts Kopyrtek's Avatar
    Nice shots there df3036.They do look the same in the pics.Have to check into that myself.Get back to you soon

I just added the oil roller to an existing MP4000 oil unit. Removed the excess gears etc...

Copier Psychologist 250+ Posts Kopyrtek's Avatar
    Llama god...you are by yourself on this one.The engineers SHOULD gotten smart after the 2035 and 3035 series about the toner issues but didnt.With all the toner going into the drum unit and only grey copies coming out the fuser should last quite a while.

You know I hadn't thought of it like that!

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by df3036 View Post
    I just added the oil roller to an existing MP4000 oil unit. Removed the excess gears etc...
    One question on this though... What will actually clean the hot roller? Usually there's a cleaning roller located behind the oil roller that collects trash off the oil roller. Without that, would that trash do one of two things; 1) be reapplied to the hot roller, or 2) become adhered to the oil roller, which in turn blocks the oil on that area.

I'm not knocking the mod, by no means. I think anything is better than that mad gab garble of crap on the machine now. I mean, even worse case scenario, why couldn't they have at least carried over the web assembly from the B246? Sure it's wider, but how much money do you think was spent designing the unit on this machine now and compare that to how much it would have cost to hold the B246 unit up to the D009 fuser and say, "Ok fellas! Shrink it down this much!"

Sorry... I just had a Charlie Brown moment.

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    The Much Maligned MP4000/5000

I suppose the oil roller / cleaning roller combo bushing is too big to fit in there to add the cleaning roller and make it a perfect mod, but this is certainly worth a try like it is - Great Idea!

Llama God:
    I think you misinterpreted my misinterpretation - I was saying I agree the fuser life is impressive, but the design still sux.
    Last edited by Shadow1; 04-22-2009 at 02:00 PM.
    73 DE W5SSJ