Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts aabarnes1's Avatar

Exclamation 3224c image feint

This machine which has just had a new black/cyan/magenta dev units, has perfect colour print and copies however black and white is INTERMITTENTLY very feint on 1side of the copy, about 1 out of every 8 or 9. The machine is clean and has a relatively new pcu aswell any ideas please?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    3224c image feint

Sounds like the developer unit is not engaging evenly - check to see if the gears on both sides are worn, or if there is something caught on the unit or rails. Recommended solution to any problem: Explosives.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    Sounds like the developer unit is not engaging evenly - check to see if the gears on both sides are worn, or if there is something caught on the unit or rails. Recommended solution to any problem: Explosives.
    Can you reccomend any explosives and can I claim them on my expenses! Any way I thought about the dev gears but that wouldn't account for good copies on 8 or 9 occasions but I know where you are coming from

3224c image feint

The machine disengages the developer between each copy, so if it had a chipped tooth on the dev gears or something like that it would be intermittent.

Any tech who has been cursed with working on these things will gladly donate a pound or 2 of C4 - unless they are unfortunate enough to also have a large number of MP4000/5000's in which case they will be stockpiling it for themselves.
    73 DE W5SSJ

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar
    Easy way to check the clutch is engaging is to remove the left side cover screws and let the panel hang down and copy 10 sheets and watch the dev unit pull in and out. It doesn't matter if you have a finisher there disconect it (all you get is an internal sc) Put it into ouput mode and watch the dev move in and out. It you still can't work it out, i think the 4 dev unit clutches are the same so swap black with another and see what results you get.

3224c image feint

Slipping clutches would cause faded bands - fading across main scan has to be something not lined up correctly.
    73 DE W5SSJ

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar
    sorry - thought he meant 1st side not front/rear side of copy - in that case yes C4 or a cup of coffee spilt when the covers off the m/c

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts
    Oh I love these machines, and their older brothers 1224c/1232c.

If you've checked the dev unit is set correctly (if I get a faint area at the edge on one colour only, I just usually pull out the affected dev unit, give the gears in the machine a little tickle to spin them round a few times, then stick the dev unit back in and it's usually jobs a good un) then pull out the dev unit and have a look at the toner coverage on the development roller.

If the toner is a little thin in the area where you are experiencing the problem, it's probably some crap clogging up the doctor roller inside the unit, try turning the dev roller in reverse a couple of times and then try (you might have to force toner in sp modes to get image density back).

If that fails to solve the problem (or makes it worse) then it's looking like a new K dev unit.

Before replacing the dev unit run your hand underneath the fuser and check that you don't get an oily mitt. I've had a few 1224c oil units leak and the oil drops onto the ITB and usually gums up the OPC/ITB belt cleaning units. If this has been allowed to go on for a long time, or people have been swapping out PCUs without resolving the leaking oil then oil will eventually find it's way into the dev unit and bugger it up good and proper.

Other possibilities are:-

Toner on the laser slitglass (but this would give poor I.D on all colours)

Toner/Paper/Crap on the white reference plate (try running engine test patterns to eliminate optics)

Charge Corona Issues (again this would affect all colours)

Good luck, and if luck fails hopefully there will be a handy skip nearby you can chuck it into.

Cool 3224

Went back to this call today with the tech that first went out, we discovered the waste toner unit was clogged up AGAIN and a good amount of toner on the main charge corona(this was a new one yesterday following continuous sc305). The dev units are working fine however one of the gears on the itb cleaning is worn smooth! Work it out for yourselves- new pcu and oil absorbers