Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts aabarnes1's Avatar

Question MPC2500 firmware upgrade procedure

As our main IT chap has left I,ve been granted the loving task of overseeing all our network and fimware upgrade issues. Can somebody please (in very simple terms) explain the procedure for this model. ie: where do I get the romdata folder from, how many available upgrades for the same machine should I put on 1 sd card, does sd card need to be a specific type/size, or formatted in a different way any input would be gratefully appreciated. We also service Utax and their service manuals are second to none(idiot proof!), unlike our lovely Ricoh's. Many thanks

Senior Tech 100+ Posts RebelPhoenix's Avatar
    If you have the .fwu format firmware

You need a sd card.
    Create a folder in sd card. This folder name is "romdata",
    After in this folder,
    For example a firmware part number is "B2345673D",
    You must create a folder and this folder name is "B234",
    After you copy all entrant with B234****.fwu in this folder,
    You must create the folder for all different fwu.

Example2

Firmware list

B2345280D
    B2387880A
    B2322373C

You must the create e folder. and this folder name "B234" , "B238" , "B232"

Question

Quote Originally Posted by RebelPhoenix View Post
    If you have the .fwu format firmware

You need a sd card.
    Create a folder in sd card. This folder name is "romdata",
    After in this folder,
    For example a firmware part number is "B2345673D",
    You must create a folder and this folder name is "B234",
    After you copy all entrant with B234****.fwu in this folder,
    You must create the folder for all different fwu.

Example2

Firmware list

B2345280D
    B2387880A
    B2322373C

You must the create e folder. and this folder name "B234" , "B238" , "B232"
    Do I need to create these folders in the romdata folder, and where is the .fwu software?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts RebelPhoenix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aabarnes1 View Post
    Do I need to create these folders in the romdata folder, and where is the .fwu software?
    Dear Do you want to firmware update on lan (network connection) or with sd card ?
    And do you have the firmware update file ?
    .fwu file is to find in the www.tessa-support.com this web city is ricoh central support city. So this city manage the by ricoh. And this city has technical bulletion service manual, parts catalog and firmware update file for machine. And Ricoh give account only distributor. I have a account on this city. If are you need the firmware file please says me I download it and upload the a file sharing city after you download it and start a firmware update process.

Senior Technician 250+ Posts stephend's Avatar
    As our main IT chap has left I,ve been granted the loving task of overseeing all our network and fimware upgrade issues. Can somebody please (in very simple terms) explain the procedure for this model. ie: where do I get the romdata folder from, how many available upgrades for the same machine should I put on 1 sd card, does sd card need to be a specific type/size, or formatted in a different way any input would be gratefully appreciated. We also service Utax and their service manuals are second to none(idiot proof!), unlike our lovely Ricoh's. Many thanks
    Hi aabarnes
    are two way to upgrade the firmware SD card and direct connection from your laptop. I'll suggest the SD card one.

here is the simplest procedure to do it using a SD card:

1. SD card (no bigger than 512MB. Why? because many Ricoh's won't read anything over 1 GB ant it takes a shorter time to upgrade if the card is smaller)
    2. Format the SD card in FAT 16
    3. Create on the SD card a tree like: G:\romdata\B230\firmware file (ex: G:\ is the letter dedicated to your SD card)
    4. I'll suggest that System and Engine to be upgraded individually (Do not select them together with other files at a time). It's also a good practive after you upgrade those 2 to power off the machine after upgrade and remove the SD card AND reboot the machine to test functionality.

Hope you will found this info helpful

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar
    OK, in English (!) This my own prefered way of doing this, I know others may do it differently, but I now have a database of many models and versions to pass to other engineers.
    Search on TESSA (Search / Model / firmware)

Create a folder on your laptop / PC called frimware and one with that with the mchine number

(If you are going to require updates for a lot of diferent machines in the future it pays to catalogue the downloads correctly in the first place, I do this on the laptop rather than an SD card which could get corrupted / lost etc)

Download the required firmware files (Listed as Engine / System etc) into the machine model folder.

Open these files and unzip to the same (Machine model) folder.

Open the unzipped folders one at a time and you will find an fwu file, drag / copy these onto a "New folder" on your desktop.

I can hear others screaming "NO... WHY... COMPLICATED" but bear with me.

When you have all the fwu files in the new folder, drag this folder back into the machine folder and rename with the current date For example "02 05 09"

Plug in your SD card, FORMAT the card, then drag / copy the "02 05 09" folder onto the card.

Rename the folder on the SD card as "romdata". This is now ready for the machine

The NEXT time you download firmware, just copy the "02 05 09" folder to the desktop, drag any fwu files CREATED AFTER 02 05 09 into the new folder and rename as the current date, for example 01 06 09.

Now you have the start of a database for this machine.

This may be a bit more complicated the first time, but when your guys start screaming for firmware and you are busy it saves a load of time if you know your last download

P.S.

Just re read your question (Always a good idea) and the answers to your actual questions are

YOU create the romdata folder

You can put multiple upgrades of each type on one card, but I prefer to keep a database and just put the latest into a new romdata folder as required to prevent confusion.

As Stephend says, the card needs t be no bigger than 512MB

I believe I format Fat32 with no problems.

As I mentioned last post, I only put the firmware from one machine on the card at any time so don't need the machine prefix (B230 etc) in the filename. This has never been a problem. Ricoh tech bods will always advise not to mix firmware from one than 1 machine onto an SD card anyway.

Be aware that you must be quite specific with regard to models, many machines in the same family can have different firmware and if you mix these on a card the machine may not recognise any of the data.

Also, as Sephend said, I would not just stick the card in, select everything and upload. Unless stated in the releasenotes, for example with some Engine / System combinations, I would always take the time to load individual items, re boot and test.

If you are not too confident, you could upload the existing firmware onto a spare card before starting just in case.

The "Official" method for firmware download can be found in the service manual / service tables / firmware update section.

If your thing Ricoh Service manuals are bad, try Konica Minolta!!!!!

Technician 250+ Posts Ricoh-ono's Avatar
    FYI. You can download the free SD card format utility from the Ricoh Support site or from Panasonic [ SD Memory Card Formatting Software | SD/SDHC Memory Card | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global ]. This comes in handy when the machine won't recognize the card after so many rewrites.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. ~Theodore Roosevelt

Question

I need to do an upgrade on 1 particular machine as a result of sc990 x8, so let me get this right: I format a 128mb sd card with FAT 32, create a folder called romdata, in that folder create another called B230 and in that folder copy the relevant unzipped engine/system firmware files and download them 1 at a time.

I need to do an upgrade on 1 particular machine as a result of sc990 x8, so let me get this right: I format a 128mb sd card with FAT 32, create a folder called romdata, in that folder create another called B230 and in that folder copy the relevant unzipped engine/system firmware files and download them 1 at a time.
    Could be FAT32 or FAT16, You don't really need the B230 folder within the romdata folder and you only need the ".fwu" files from the unzipped folders.

My folder with the latest updates is 62.5MB