Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

ricoh 820/821 Dn for design WOrk good or not??

hi guys

i would like to know what you guys think of the rich 820 and 821dn for print quality, does they have enought quality to print business cards, flyers, envelops, posterīs, etc etc

the paper 300 Grms couche paper

what about the lower sister 811dn i tested one i she looked very good for quality printing...

hope you guys put here your opinions

best regards

nuno manuel alves

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Print quality should be fine for just about anything, not sure about the paper though. If it works, expect more jams and other problems - of course that is a standard fact of life for anything running more than 80gsm: heavier papers are more difficult to transport on any machine without a completely flat paper path and much more difficult to fuse reliably - there will be more problems.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    Print quality should be fine for just about anything, not sure about the paper though. If it works, expect more jams and other problems - of course that is a standard fact of life for anything running more than 80gsm: heavier papers are more difficult to transport on any machine without a completely flat paper path and much more difficult to fuse reliably - there will be more problems.
    dear shadow

the machine factory says that it could support 256 Gr. of paper, the 300 gr paper that i used was a Digital GLOSS for digital printing only its a dedicated paper its the one that i use in my xerox Docucolor 12, althought i tested with offset paper also and she continue printing with no problem, smouth and quiet almost no sound....my xerox makes some noise

best regards

nuno manuel alves

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

That may end up being a problem, then. My experience is that coated and gloss papers always "act" much heavier than their rated gsm weight. Not really sure why, but I have customers in print shops routinely printing on 160 gsm bond type papers just fine, but must use settings for 256gsm papers when printing on 160 gsm coated glossy stocks.

Since the machine is only rated for 256gsm paper to begin with and you want to print on 300gsm glossy, I'd have to say this is a recipe for disaster. The machine might print a few pages O.K. but if you print 10 sheets I can almost guarantee that it will start offsetting and gunk up the fuser.

Sorry, but the only machines I know of that even have a chance at holding up to that paper are the Pro C550, Pro C700, and Pro C900 - and the 550 and 700 design didn't have a good history with heavy stocks in the previous generation machines. The C900 is a battle tank and could probably print on drywall, plywood,and sheet metal, but that machine is not exactly in the same price range...
    73 DE W5SSJ

Senior Technician 250+ Posts stephend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazuyamishima View Post
    dear shadow

the machine factory says that it could support 256 Gr. of paper, the 300 gr paper that i used was a Digital GLOSS for digital printing only its a dedicated paper its the one that i use in my xerox Docucolor 12, althought i tested with offset paper also and she continue printing with no problem, smouth and quiet almost no sound....my xerox makes some noise

best regards

nuno manuel alves
    I suggest you to test your stock first. Visit a Ricoh dealer and ask them to let you test your stock or if you don't have one near you send them paper samples to test it. At the weight mentioned your machine will jam 99% or if won't jam you will have transfer problems in a long run. The silicon rollers used in all the latest products are not good friends with glossy paper. All Ricoh MFD's have a special set up for the bypass tray to accommodate OPC (Transparencies) and thick paper. C6000 was improved compared with 5560 to be able to accomodate heavier stock...
    Pro 900 will run for sure with the stock.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by stephend View Post
    I suggest you to test your stock first. Visit a Ricoh dealer and ask them to let you test your stock or if you don't have one near you send them paper samples to test it. At the weight mentioned your machine will jam 99% or if won't jam you will have transfer problems in a long run. The silicon rollers used in all the latest products are not good friends with glossy paper. All Ricoh MFD's have a special set up for the bypass tray to accommodate OPC (Transparencies) and thick paper. C6000 was improved compared with 5560 to be able to accomodate heavier stock...
    Pro 900 will run for sure with the stock.
    my dear friends

i appreciate all you answers

i have to say that in my xerox she passed the 150.000 copies using almost 100 gr 150 gr 300 gr and 350 gr paper and she never complait...or jam
    this ricoh pushed the dedicated paper 300 gr for digital printing with now problems i hope she stays that way, i only use 300 gr for business cards, but i print a lot of them... for now i didnt see no problems....besides in allthe suppliers here in portugal the dedicated paper is in SRA3 (45x32) its for digital printing its more expensive them the offset paper, i only use digital since this paper is on sale, its very good, much better printing quality... lets see my 821 dn arrives on the 15 of this month so ....lets see, the only problem is she uses A3+ (450x305) not the SRA3 ok lets see

best regards keep posting

nuno manuel alves