Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts aabarnes1's Avatar

Exclamation MP5500 jams at fuser/duplex

This is an intermittent fault on a machine with 1.2 mill on the clock, well looked after and regularly cleaned and PM'd.I did 1 copy-fine, the 2, then 5 then 55, then 150, then 15 and it jammed on 4th copy. Iremoved the jammed paper from the fuser/duplex area and started over again. I did A3x5, A4 x55, the A4Rx5 and it jammed on 3rd copy. All jams are registered in the same place. Any ideas please?

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    Was the paper folded? Did it have any dents on it where it looked like it had run into something?

First off, change the registration mylars. Then, check the fuser for free rotation, you could possibly have a sticky bearing. Where exactly is the paper when you remove it and what jam code does the machine register?
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 250+ Posts bonnie750's Avatar
    are you copying simplex or duplex? what error code is called?

If the copy is face down delivery then every copy goes into the inverter. sometimes the solenoid sticks or the paper slips on the reversing roller.

Usual culprit is something worn in the paper path causing the sensors to time out due to lag.

It could be as far back as tray1 feed station, as all feed stations drive together any lag, particularly tray1 as it is used the most can cause what you describe

try running from tray1 only and if there's a jam swap it with another feed station

the registration and relay sensors cause this kind of problem due to build-up of paper dust.

Technician
    Does the machine have a punch unit with the pulley belt to get rid of chads. If so remove the sorter and see if it still jams. If not you need to unjam the chads in the sorter and replace all of those stupid white bushings on the back of the sorter.

I would also clean the dust catcher on the reg unit and reg sensor. Maybe Tonermonkey has people using construction paper but I have never seen the mylars go bad befor 3 million copies. It is still possible that is the problem though. I have seen the sensor on the interchange unit right at the edge of the fuser pull out get sticky by being bent and it only did it once in a while. Oh yea I have seen intermittent jamming because of a tiny piece of paper in the duplex harness as well.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead2020 View Post
    Does the machine have a punch unit with the pulley belt to get rid of chads. If so remove the sorter and see if it still jams. If not you need to unjam the chads in the sorter and replace all of those stupid white bushings on the back of the sorter.

I would also clean the dust catcher on the reg unit and reg sensor. Maybe Tonermonkey has people using construction paper but I have never seen the mylars go bad befor 3 million copies. It is still possible that is the problem though. I have seen the sensor on the interchange unit right at the edge of the fuser pull out get sticky by being bent and it only did it once in a while. Oh yea I have seen intermittent jamming because of a tiny piece of paper in the duplex harness as well.
    Most customers I see use paper that wrecks those reg mylars within a million. Seen a few with less than 700k on that needed them replacing too, and they cause some really odd faults.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

jakabony
    Have you checked the large black cam under the fixing/exit assembly? It keeps pressure on the guides that guide the paper into the duplex unit. That cam can crack where it is clipped onto the shaft that pivots it. The cam part number is B0654422.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts aabarnes1's Avatar
    I'm going to put the mylar in tomorrow and I'll post back with any news, thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Was the paper folded? Did it have any dents on it where it looked like it had run into something?

First off, change the registration mylars. Then, check the fuser for free rotation, you could possibly have a sticky bearing. Where exactly is the paper when you remove it and what jam code does the machine register?
    I'd agree with most of this but not the registration mylar theory. The jam code (SP7504) is pretty important as the service manual tells you which sensor has thrown up the jam in the first place. Obviously any marks on the paper should also be a good pointer!

Check the registration sensor under the dev unit - 2 screws allow the metal plate to be moved and the huge mounds of paper dust to be cleaned off the sensor. This jam code is J063.

Check for a build-up of toner on the fuser guides too - this slows the paper down and causes sensors to time out as Bonnie750 suggested. These are J014 and J015, I believe, for the fusing exit sensor and the exit unit entrance sensor respectively.

Flats on the press roller can also cause jams, but this is fairly obvious and it should have been changed at the PM anyway. Also check whether there is paper wrapped around the cleaning roller.

More info would be good, especially the J0xx jam code, unless Tonermunkeh is right of course!

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aabarnes1 View Post
    This is an intermittent fault on a machine with 1.2 mill on the clock, well looked after and regularly cleaned and PM'd.I did 1 copy-fine, the 2, then 5 then 55, then 150, then 15 and it jammed on 4th copy. Iremoved the jammed paper from the fuser/duplex area and started over again. I did A3x5, A4 x55, the A4Rx5 and it jammed on 3rd copy. All jams are registered in the same place. Any ideas please?

Interesting!

I have an MP6500 with a similar jam (As I recall, Jam 16) at the fuser / duplex section. We actually tried another duplex unit and this didn't cure the problem. I have had a similar fault on MP1100 machines which seems to be caused by the paper exit sensors (after the fuser) "cooking" and have as a consequence, ordered the equivalent sensors for the MP6500. These should be fitted this week. Time will tell!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    hey, anyone find more info on this? I am struggling with an MP5500 that jams code 16 and code 23 but only on 11x17/DLT. I have replaced feed tires, then swapped whole feed stations. It doesn't seem to matter which tray you put the 11x17 in, that's the size that jams. The paper is never crinkled at all, just stops, suggesting a lag time to me. I've spent the past five years on lower-end machines and the 55cpm and over are new to me in the past six months or so. The duplex sensor and inverter sensor both check out fine via input checks.
    I should add that this machine has less than 300k on it, with no heavy paper stock. Just a very dusty environment.
    Just today I: emptied hole punch conveyor belt, scrubbed the inverter rollers like crazy, and updated the firmware.
    I got 80 11x17 sheets through with no jams so far. Could be the inverter rollers were too dusty?
    Morgan