Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JohnDoe321

Feed Unit jamming ricoh 2051/Gestetner DSM 651

Hello, I hope someone else has seen this problem.. I have two copiers with the same problem... A Gestetner DSM 651 (Ricoh 2051) and a Gestetner 6002.

When making copies (or printjobs) the copier intermittently jams. When this happens, the feed unit draws the paper from the drawer, makes a short whine or squeal sound, then throws a jam code. The paper is ALWAYS up at the jam gate just before the registration roller. I have moved the feed unit from tray 1, to tray 2, to tray 3. The jamming problem follows the feed unit to where ever I swap it to. We have had 3 techs out on this problem, each replacing different parts. So far, the feed rollers have been replaced, next were the gears with the oneway clutches in them, next, the motor in the feed unit, then the sensors. I've called Ricoh tech support and they are drawing a blank.

My last thought is perhaps the transport rollers in the feed unit. They are smooth black rollers, which usually never give me a problem on other models, but I do realize these rollers get hard with age. Has anyone had trouble with these? The codes I get are 008, 009, or 012, depending on
    what tray I have the trouble feed unit at. The copier has over 3 million clicks on it.

The other copier, the Gestetner 6002, has aprox 2.7 million clicks on it, with the same jamming issues. At this point, we are ready to order new feed units, but the cost is several hundred dollars per unit, which does not make the boss to happy! (Of course, at this point, we have more labor into this than the feed units cost!)

Has anyone encountered this problem? solutions? This same feed unit design seems to be used in most of the newer machines (50 to 75 copy/minute) so I assume this problem is something we'll see more of!!

Service Manager 250+ Posts bonnie750's Avatar
    i have only ever come across these machines jamming and making this squealing noise when the oneways in the feed station (s) are contaminated with dev which leaks from usually the rear dev unit bushing or just the fact that they are worn out. the noise is the dev in the bearing.

the only answer is to change all the oneways on all 3 feed stations and if the dev unit hasnt been changed then renew it. replacing the bushings may work for a while but i found it is good policy to renew the complete assembly

Technician
    I agree with the last poster, we have tried just changing the component parts piecemeal but that never works the cheapest thing to do is to change the whole unit

Nurse Ratched of Repair 250+ Posts KopyKat's Avatar
    Agreed! Sometimes you can rebuild a feed unit and it will work great for a while but many many times biting the bullet and replacing the whole unit is the only answer.

We keep working used units on hand from trade in machines. It pays to have a 'bone yard' of old copiers.

And yes this is a common problem on machines reaching the 2 million mark. Watch the dev units for leaking in the rear. Developer will destroy the feed units in no time. There is one more thing besides the above mentioned parts which I had go bad...the white gear attached to the belt on the drive motor broke.

If I remember correctly Ricoh recommends replacement of the feed units at 2 million on the feed station anyway.

Relax! This firmware injection won't hurt...but it will take 45 minutes.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Feed Unit Jamming Ricoh 2051

Hi All,

Agreed, with Kopykat what you are missing is the white gears to the belt and belt tension.

SUBJECT SYMPTOM CAUSE SOLUTION
    Jamming Jam codes 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 12, 53,
    54, 55, 58, 59, 60
    1. The material
    used for paper feed
    roller on production
    line.
    2. Incorrect belt
    tension (paper feed
    unit).
    3. PFU gear failure.
    Replace the rollers.
    2. Adjust the tension of the belt.
    3. Replace the gears.

Regards

Service Manager 250+ Posts bonnie750's Avatar
    i have to agree that the white gear could be at fault, but the squealing noise is the pointer to dev in the oneways. 99.999999% certain

One other thing that I just remembered. I followed up on feed station problem for another well seasoned tech who had replaced the one ways. He had installed one of them backwards. All the one way gears should be installed with the arrow imprint on the gear facing away from the frame of the feed unit. I still get a dig or two on him for that one just for laughs.

And another thing...if you are in a room where the light hits the right side of the machine, slap that side cover back on when you test it...no need to screw it on just block the incoming light. I had light hitting the relay sensors and causing jams. That one was a big circle jerk as I had two known good feed units in hand.

JohnDoe321

Re: jamming feed units..

Thanks for all the replies, folks! I see most of you pointed to the oneways... That was my thought also, after the feed rollers were replaced, since I have seen those go bad on other brands and models.
    Yes, we replaced those, still jams. I WILL take a closer look at that white gear-to-belt-to-motor area. We did replace the motor, but I didn't look real close at the gear on the other shaft that it drives.

Also, I was studying the manual some more and I noticed this section:

>>>>>>
    3.11.9 SEPARATION ROLLER PRESSURE ADJUSTMENT
    The position of the drive gear for the separation roller can be changed in order to
    change the amount of pressure exerted by the separation roller. This adjustment
    can be done:
    •
    When feeding special paper, especially thick paper.

• When the customer is experiencing feed problems.
    1. Remove the feed unit (
    �� 3.11.8).
    2. Loosen the hex screw [A].

NOTE:
    The separation roller gear [B] is positioned at the groove before
    shipping.
    3. To adjust for thick paper, move the separation roller gear [B] to the left to
    decrease the pressure.
    –or-
    To correct misfeeds, move the separation roller gear to the right to increase the

pressure.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Has anyone out there ever made this adjustment? Did it help?

Thanks again, everyone!

Technician
    The adjustment you speak of is only for block type misfeeds, ie. more than one or two sheets. Have you replaced the tourque limiter? (A294 6700) The other posters are correct If there is dev in the unit you have to replace the dev unit. The bushings only fix it if you do it BEFORE it leaks. BTW you only need to change the two big ones in the back we do it every 1 million copies (B065 3069). I would change the dev unit every 3mil anyways. I have seen the feed units go 6 million copies. The plastic white pieces that make the black gate open and close also need to be replaced if the dev leaked on it I have part numbers for those if you need them after doing what the other posters said. After that you might as well replace the whole thing especially since so many calls for this same problem.

Good luck

Exclamation

jarhead gives excellent advice to replace the developer bushings every million. Good preventative maintenance BEFORE the developer leaking starts and trashes the feed units.

Getting a reputation point from me for that response!