Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

NetBIOS name is in use already (108) error msg

Hi All,

I've got a client who has multiple Ricoh machines and lately they've reported that two of their machines, (both AF3245C) are giving a netbios name in use error. All other models are ok. The clients change the hostname of their copiers to include internal location and model number of the copier.

We have changed the Hostname and Machine Name and the SMB computer name of one of the AF3245C to something random (mixtures of numbers and characters) however we still continue to get this netBIOS problem.

Can anyone suggests where we may have missed?

also would a NCS clear default netBIOS back to factory? thanks.

Nurse Ratched of Repair 250+ Posts KopyKat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobysteve View Post
    Hi All,

I've got a client who has multiple Ricoh machines and lately they've reported that two of their machines, (both AF3245C) are giving a netbios name in use error. All other models are ok. The clients change the hostname of their copiers to include internal location and model number of the copier.

We have changed the Hostname and Machine Name and the SMB computer name of one of the AF3245C to something random (mixtures of numbers and characters) however we still continue to get this netBIOS problem.

Can anyone suggests where we may have missed?

also would a NCS clear default netBIOS back to factory? thanks.
    Yes an NCS clears everything on the NIC including IP Addy...print yourself a config page first.

Have the machines been rebooted after the name changes?

Relax! This firmware injection won't hurt...but it will take 45 minutes.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Hi,

thanks for the help... but i have new news.

the next morning after my visit, i received several more calls from the same organisations saying that their MFDs were also giving netbios conflict errors. the mfds were different models to the AF3245C.

I think the organisation may have a netbios DOS attack which i believe they are now looking into.

thanks again for the help.

unTrusted Tech 250+ Posts imaginemoko's Avatar
    ip conflicts its a network problem not on the machine.
    fix the customer first then fix the machine... its simple and makes life more easy.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Fearless V K's Avatar
    I agree, network problem. Ricohs have virtually bulletproof network hardware. Haven't replaced any in 5 years.
    Don't take that toner with me!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Hi All,

I know the Ricoh's hardly ever have any NIC hardware problems however, we all know that we still have to try and sort/troubleshoot the problem for the customer first (even though they have their own IT). Otherwise, these customer just dont come back when they need a couple more - and trust me, even though it is not our fault or a fault of the machine, they will say that the machine and the service provider was not doing their job.

Senior Technician 250+ Posts stephend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobysteve View Post
    Hi All,

I know the Ricoh's hardly ever have any NIC hardware problems however, we all know that we still have to try and sort/troubleshoot the problem for the customer first (even though they have their own IT). Otherwise, these customer just dont come back when they need a couple more - and trust me, even though it is not our fault or a fault of the machine, they will say that the machine and the service provider was not doing their job.
    You are right my friend...doesn't matter what you will do during the service contract....You can be there every day for courtesy visits...at first problem customers will blade the machine and tech/ service organization...If we want to keep them for another contract we must do extra work and troubleshoot in areas not related with the machine. I have two customers with the same problems and it's an ongoing problem since the machines was installed years ago....All the machines will pop up the same Netbios msg 4 or 5 times a year and the customer is angry every time.
    They damaged a NIC board on a 2060...the RJ45 connector was cracked and they was blaming the "damn Ricoh machine"....In those situations just more Advil or more beer....I prefer the liquid anti depressive solution.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Hi All,

Just got a message back from the Client IT and it seems that their WINS database was corrupt.

Funny that because i had asked them to look into their WINS database.

Supposedly everything is ok at the moment.

opiumdot

Re: NetBIOS name is in use already (108) error msg

We have a Ricoh Aficio MP 4000. After a scheduled power outage I got this same error after powering up all our servers/printers/etc. I finally resolved it after many trials of changing the copier name (even though it doesn't share a name with any other device), restarting the copier, deleting the WINS active registration for it on our WINS server, etc. WHAT WORKED: I just unplugged the network cable from the back and went into the interface options/ip address (don't change it) just exit out then it should refresh the network settings (a few seconds pause where the buttons gray out) and clear the error. Then plug the network cable back in and it was good to go with no more error!

This worked for ours hopefully it will work for yours too!

Field Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    NetBIOS name is in use already (108) error msg

Re: NetBIOS name is in use already (108) error msg

I have seen this exact issue on my KonicaMinolta machines at one customers, and yes it is their system that is creating the issue. The work arround I found was to disconnect the network cable and reboot the machine , once fully rebooted plug in the network cable and all is well. Whenever this problem reoccures follow the same proceedure.
    Online Store is closed. Chip resetting is a thing of the past! Thank you to all my past customers.
    Now into Ip TV KODI Boxes