Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Some of the detectors I found will show the SSIDs they find, along with whether encryption is used or not. (The SSIDs will appear in order of decreasing signal strength.)

You can get a little crazy, and spend around $400 on one that will give you more info than you'll ever need, but I don't think that too many service managers would go for that. That may be different if you do a BUNCH of wireless, I suppose. (Of course, you could always invest in a Fluke or the like, and drop about $6k on one. )

I totally agree on the getting connected and not getting any usability, though.

As you mentioned, it's a good idea to put your notebook in the MFP's place and give it a shot for full functionality.

Maybe the notebook AND a tester would be the best solution. The signal strength meter in Windoze leaves a bit to be desired, at best. If there are any applications that help with this, I'd love to check 'em out.

Some info that I've picked up on so far (not directly from Ricoh):

1). I stand corrected on my earlier post. There are actually several models of cards used, not just one.

2). There may be interference coming from other 2.4GHz devices in the area that will cause the MFPs to lose connection, such as cordless phones.

3). As always, make sure that all firmware us current. (The MP4000 / 5000 NIB v.7.23 flash addresses wireless issues.

So much for now...
    Last edited by KenB; 06-29-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Added info
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh Wireless Card Range

I have NetStumbler loaded on my laptop and it works pretty good for a free ap. It shows all the SSIDs in the area and the strength of each.
    Its worth a try for the price.

I found a network down the street from our place and it was completely unprotected. It was a real estate place and I was able to access his files. Scary. I went down and told them that I stumbled on it and maybe they would like to fix that.

He told me it was improbable as he had paid several hundred dollars for someone to set up his network. (turns out it was his 20 something son,) So I said OK and left.
    I checked it the next weekend and it was secure. hehe

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Wireless Card Range

I usually install a wireless gaming adapter that supports WPA security and hook up a Cat5 cable long enough so I can place it anywhere I need to keep a strong signal.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post

2). There may be interference coming from other 2.4GHz devices in the area that will cause the MFPs to lose connection, such as cordless phones.

Yeah a Major problem at some of my customers.. These 2.4Ghz phones. I've proved to them by pulling out the batteries and suddenly it all works great.

As Jomama46 says.. Netstumbler works pretty good. It was actually built into my Dell Studio 1705.

I checked out NetStumbler. I had forgotten that I used it for wired "stuff" a few years ago.

While definitely not at all bad for freeware, I have found a few very inexpensive apps (around $40) that provide much more info.

Be careful if you check any of these "cheapware" ones out, though. I installed two of them (foolishly at the same time), and my wireless card stopped working due to the additional drivers that got installed.

I needed to delete all the drivers for my (Intel) wireless, and have Windoze rediscover it. Not a lot of fun...

I normally try to test software in a Microsoft Virtual PC session, but I doubt that any app that needs to integrate directly with hardware would work properly in a virtual world.

Thanks!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Problems with Ricoh wireless cards

I just posted an e-Lert on the TSC site, per the request of our Ricoh area technical manager.

I've been told that a number of folks have complained about the cards, but nobody has ever "gotten down to business", so to speak, and provided any usable details.

I'm out to change that, if at all possible, and get some more definitive answers.

Wish me luck!

Keep us posted!

Here is what Ricoh responded with:

1). Make sure that all firmware is current

2). Disable internal NIC using SP 5985-01

3). If applicable, lock in wireless speed on Ricoh wireless card

4). If not required, turn off "Mixed Mode" on the router, as the "N" type being broadcast has been known to cause dropoffs.

I'd be a bit leery of that last one. I think I would check with the customer's IT (if there is one) to make sure that "N" isn't required now or in the foreseeable future, before just asking them to turn Mixed Mode off.

Nothing worse than disconnecting users just to get the MFP on line!

I've got another wireless install coming up sometime in August, and I'll check back in then.

Toodles.

Well I know you cannot use the WIRED connection if you use the Wireless. But I guess technically the wired card is still enabled just not online. So they say Disabling it totally via SP modes has some bonus effect? Interesting..

Quote Originally Posted by Vulkor View Post
    Well I know you cannot use the WIRED connection if you use the Wireless. But I guess technically the wired card is still enabled just not online. So they say Disabling it totally via SP modes has some bonus effect? Interesting..
    That is correct, disable the wired connection.

A correction on my previous post, though. (I misread the message), they suggested to have the speed auto-negotiate and NOT lock it in.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks.