Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ricoh mpc 2500

digiwerks

ricoh mpc 2500

initially, i was trying to eliminate black lines on my prints, so i took out the pcu and dumped out developer thinking it was extra developer that didn't need to be in there. Now my printer doesn't print black and white at all!.
    what is the cheapest and easiest way to fix this.
    i've been quoted from a local company $1100.00 for a new pcu black unit.
    online i see about $200-$300.
    what's the difference, and do i need a technician to do this? thanks

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    You're machine is going to need new developer fitted to the developer unit as you've emptied it as well as a new PCU assembly (OPC Drum) to combat the black lines. I would recommend a qualified technician/engineer fit these as they will have to set up the developer and PCU through SP modes which are engineer accessible.

For $1100 fly me over and I'll fit it

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    "so i took out the pcu and dumped out developer thinking it was extra developer"
    Are you kidding ?
    If you really did that, don't waste your money and call to tech service.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar
    You dumped out developer? Leave this kind of repairs to a qualified technician! For $ 1100,- you have a complete PCU Unit, which consists of a Drum Unit and a Development Unit. To replace this you have to be trained on this machine. There are a couple of settings that need to be adjusted. The enduser only replaces toner. For all the other replacements : call a tech!

digiwerks
    do i have to replace all other 3 pcu's .. my local company is trying to rip me off i think..
    what do you think the difference is between the "original" gestener pcu's online for $200 compared to this $1000 one locally?
    would it work the same? thank you!

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    ricoh mpc 2500

IF you can get an entire PCU (that is the drum and development unit assembly) for that price, consider a couple of things. Be sure and purchase OEM only if you want favorable results from the unit. Also, the previous posts were correct as needing a qualified technician to do the install. Certain SP modes are required to be performed for the setup of a new PCU. You may just have to pay a standard labor rate for the installation. There is a possibility that your machine has more issues than a serious lack of developer and these could be addressed at the time of the service call. Hope this helps.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    ricoh mpc 2500

Quote Originally Posted by digiwerks View Post
    do i have to replace all other 3 pcu's .. my local company is trying to rip me off i think..
    what do you think the difference is between the "original" gestener pcu's online for $200 compared to this $1000 one locally?
    would it work the same? thank you!
    That depends on the % of use for the color PCU,s which can be determined by running an SMC logging data report which is accesible only through service modes. I will tell you that the DRUM unit itself is rated for 80K and the DEVELOPER ITSELF has a 160K expected life. I will also add that even if you could run a SMC report you probably find most of it to be gibberish unless you have been trained to service the machine.
    Last edited by mikadonovan; 07-13-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: additional info
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

unTrusted Tech 250+ Posts imaginemoko's Avatar
    just a piece of advice as mention above... never take risk to something you have no idea, or what its all about, copier is not just do it by your self, most of the guys posting advice here is highly and technically trained to do the job, am sorry. but as they mention better call for a service before things get worst, better also to have a service maintenance agreement for your machine...

Good Luck.
    fix the customer first then fix the machine... its simple and makes life more easy.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    This reminds me of a sign that quite a few of us have seen in car repair facilities:

Labor Rate: $30 per hour
    If you watch: $50 per hour
    If you worked on it first: $100 per hour

I just wonder how many $2000 boards have needed to be replaced because somebody without the proper information or technical skills thought they were doing the right thing.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

digiwerks

check this out

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    That depends on the % of use for the color PCU,s which can be determined by running an SMC logging data report which is accesible only through service modes. I will tell you that the DRUM unit itself is rated for 80K and the DEVELOPER ITSELF has a 160K expected life. I will also add that even if you could run a SMC report you probably find most of it to be gibberish unless you have been trained to service the machine.
    do me a favor please...
    go to this site.
    RICOH AFICIO MP C2000 DEVELOPER BLACK 160K / B2309640
    this is where i am thinking of purchasing the black drum, and developer. they sell it seperately it seems.
    check it out, let me know if that's what you mean by "whole drum unit".
    thanks,