Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Dog Ears

I'm also chasing this problem on a Toshiba 901 ( SAME AS THE RICOH MP ). I haven't narrowed it down yet, but i have 2 of these side by side. went there today..dog earing like crazy.. Swapped the entire fuser unit and the entire exit/belt section. Dog ears stopped immediately..for about 1 thousand copies..then here they came again...25 good ones...2 or 3 dog eared 200 good ones..3 dog ears, etc...I left after a couple hours of frustration..This copier also has a brand new duplex unit with less than 20K copies... Now that I've eleminated these 3 sections, I think I'm gonna pull out the registration unit (pain) and study it. It's gota be in the copier itself because on side 2, the image is very slightly skewed,less than 1mm. I've got 20+ years in the industry and this machine is making me feel like a full rookie...I've nurtured it thru 14 million copies...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MP 1100 Dog Ears Calling All High Volume Experts

Are the corners hard folded or just bent? Bent is an exit problem, a hard fold could be anywhere before the fuser or aligning rollers.

I have 2 MP1350's sitting side by side - one of them has perfect registration and skew, the other has a >.5mm rear side skew running 8.5x14 heavy (but in spec) stock. Actually its there on any heavy stock SEF paper.

I know this is a tiny amount of skew and no normal customer would even notice it, but this customer prints short runs or variable data onto preprinted stock with 1mm alignment targets on all 4 corners of both sides - they readily admit that a press would have a tough time with that degree of precision, but the active registration system is why they bought the machine, and they're just passing the spec down from their customer.

I've swapped all the assemblies between machines - no joy, which leads me to believe the frame is warped, or one of the units is not resting properly when seated.

I can get the skew eliminated on the backside if I shim the duplexer to rest crooked - meaning the paper is not turning evenly coming up out of the duplexer, and the stiff paper and short edge into the aligning roller nip just can't straighten it out.

That's a long way to go to say check for nips in the aligning assembly mylars (and stuck labels, etc.) then start playing with the alignment and "resting position" of various units.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

High Volume dog ears

OK..I'm pretty sure I've solved my problem. Hope I'm not jinxing myself writing this..It's been 2 days and 45K copies with no call back... It was in the fuser...the lift up upper exit guide with the upper sep. fingers on it..I happened to notice that when closed and resting on the small magnets, the front side was nice and flush and sticking with the magnet like it should...nice and flat,etc..BUT the rear side was VERY slightly raised. I could push it down about 1 or 2 mm with my hand and make it catch the magnet. I could not visually see anything causing this...SO, I took the guide off and litterally twisted it with my hands( sort of a reform thing). When I reinstalled it it seem to lie flat and catch magnets front and rear..Spent a lot of time chasing this. Now, no more dog ears or side 2 skews...

Service Manager 250+ Posts msaeger's Avatar
    Thanks for posting the fix !

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

dog ears

I did'nt read all replies so I'm sorry if it's been posted already. I had an mp1100 with that problem, it ended up being the guidesin the duplex inverter section having paper cuts in the side of the guides, paper could hang up on them causing this problem. Just sand out the cuts ,you'll be good to go. Look carefully at all the guides side and ends.

Re: MP 1100 Dog Ears Calling All High Volume Experts

sometimes when the teflon wears on the hot roller, this can also cause dog earing. Fuser rebuild usual fixes dog earing for me

Racer

KopyKat, Hi!

I am a long time Hi Volume tech on Ricoh products, but don't often vissit CopyTechNet...

Just wondering whether you sorted the problem on this thread.

Have you considered replacing the spur assemblies in the upper and lower guide plates. Alternatively remove them completely.

Your clicks at 6 million are relatively low. we have had machines well in excess of 30 million still doing fine. Must say we have had to replace the guide plates on some of our machunes... the upper one.

Will check back in a few days.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Racer View Post
    KopyKat, Hi!

I am a long time Hi Volume tech on Ricoh products, but don't often vissit CopyTechNet...

Just wondering whether you sorted the problem on this thread.

Have you considered replacing the spur assemblies in the upper and lower guide plates. Alternatively remove them completely.

Your clicks at 6 million are relatively low. we have had machines well in excess of 30 million still doing fine. Must say we have had to replace the guide plates on some of our machunes... the upper one.

Will check back in a few days.
    If it hasn't been fixed in 5 years I would imagine the customer is pretty pissed off by now
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Racer

Wink Re: MP 1100 Dog Ears Calling All High Volume Experts

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    If it hasn't been fixed in 5 years I would imagine the customer is pretty pissed off by now
    Thank You... Thank You... "DEBS"

Darn it, i should have taken a closer look at the date, not to mention that you lot there in th EU run mostly Barons by now, whereas we still run plenty of Katanas and Bellini Pros.

On the chin I take it then!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Welcome Racer, by the way, why don't you pop over to Newbie Check In and tell us a bit about yourself
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't