Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nurse Ratched of Repair 250+ Posts KopyKat's Avatar

Exclamation MP 1100 Dog Ears Calling All High Volume Experts

I have two MP 1100s in the same location both with close to 6 mil. Everything been running great but now they are both dog earing the copies AFTER the fuser. The dog ears are not flat folded. I have cleaned the upper guide plates with the fingers and the fusers are recently PM'd. Even turned paper over too.

It is intermittent but will tend to get worse as the machines run until it eventually jams randomly in one of these locations 21-28 (between fuser exit and finisher entrance). Note: The customer does not duplex....just one-sided reports...a lot of them! Only runs 8.5 x 11.

I found that the pin on the drive shaft for the transport section (drives the heat pipe area and transport to duplex) is worn badly and have those ordered.

My question is does anyone have any additional advice? I was thinking that with them pushing 6 mil perhaps that the fuser exit guide plate could be part of the issue. But if that were the case the dog ears would be flat folded by the heat pipe roller, right??...these are just slightly bent up on the non-op side. Usually two to three inches in length.

Any feedback welcome.

Relax! This firmware injection won't hurt...but it will take 45 minutes.

School District Tech 500+ Posts schooltech's Avatar
    Are there any magnets or gate catches that might be moving when the fuser unit is pushed back in the machine? I'm trying to picture the fuser assembly right now, and I thought there are a few magnet catches, but I'm referring to the previous generation as I have not worked on this series.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Comptia A+, Comptia Network+

Quote Originally Posted by schooltech View Post
    Are there any magnets or gate catches that might be moving when the fuser unit is pushed back in the machine? I'm trying to picture the fuser assembly right now, and I thought there are a few magnet catches, but I'm referring to the previous generation as I have not worked on this series.
    I've checked that the magnet catches are holding the all guide plates in place...replaced a couple that looked damaged. Even checked the inverter cover latches on the duplex unit thinking that it was not latching correctly. I know it's gonna turn out to be something either so simple that I can't see it or something worn due to age.

Copier Psychologist 250+ Posts Kopyrtek's Avatar
    Hey KopyKat,have you pulled the finisher away to eliminate the entrance to the finisher?I know that i have seen the finisher not being level with the copier cause this problem.

unTrusted Tech 250+ Posts imaginemoko's Avatar
    i hope this B070 4475 Holder:Ring:Fusing Exit:Ass'y is free well to move sp paper will pass smoothly... try to swap this upper cover guide plate...
    fix the customer first then fix the machine... its simple and makes life more easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopyrtek View Post
    Hey KopyKat,have you pulled the finisher away to eliminate the entrance to the finisher?I know that i have seen the finisher not being level with the copier cause this problem.
    The machine is on a hard level floor no carpet. But I will try that. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imaginemoko View Post
    i hope this B070 4475 Holder:Ring:Fusing Exit:Ass'y is free well to move sp paper will pass smoothly... try to swap this upper cover guide plate...
    Thought about the guide plate but as I said above the dog ears are not creased at all...I would think that going under the Heat Pipe would crease them flat. These are just flipped up with no sign of any creasing.

School District Tech 500+ Posts schooltech's Avatar
    That's probably one of the only things I don't like about high-volume machines; trying to get the damn thing to be slow enough to see stuff like this as it is happening----compared to a 2022 or something doing this same thing. I would also assume that the heat pipe would 'de-curl' the paper a bit, unless the pipe cooling fan wasn't sufficiently cooling or there is no more alcohol in the pipe.

Isn't that heat pipe driven off of those flat, transport drive belts? I wonder if one of those has a small tear or something.

Yeah, you're probably right; it'll end up being something stupid.

Oh, one more thing I thought of----have you double-checked all of the drive and idle gears of the fuser unit carefully to see if one has a small crack or something?

When in doubt, grab another set of eyes so this doesn't turn into a nightmare call!!!!
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Comptia A+, Comptia Network+

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Scott_Lewis's Avatar
    I'm with kopyrtek. The only place I've had issues on that series is at the entrance to the finisher. But, my machines don't have near the volume yours does.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Check rb234 040

unTrusted Tech 250+ Posts imaginemoko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KopyKat View Post
    The machine is on a hard level floor no carpet. But I will try that. Thanks

Thought about the guide plate but as I said above the dog ears are not creased at all...I would think that going under the Heat Pipe would crease them flat. These are just flipped up with no sign of any creasing.

In bellini C1 and C2 for this Dog ear at fusing i used to Bend tilt up the edge of that guide assy the one touches the magnet catch and one time that like spur is stuck up, i experienced creasing in after fusing area if pressure is already worn out or loose screw to attach the Hot roller assy. anyhow... have we inspect the paper feed rollers to registration fusing entrace guide, worth a try to check paper path also this enter lock switch. cleaning the contact or afixing its right position.... good thing also this cooling transport belt as they mention above. a tear or weak of this causes also delay. i hope it would help.

Good Luck..
    fix the customer first then fix the machine... its simple and makes life more easy.