Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Good info, Thanks!

Technician
    Hello guys, I'm back. I've tried your tricks, turn on with the doors open, unplug and then turn on again. It still shows "please wait" and then SC672.When you press the control panel buttons to get into service mode the keys will not beep and can't get it into the SM. I have pulled out everything: memory, network/usb card. All i got it to do is showing half a screen now when it says "please wait". I will try what TSC09 said, the thing with the tandem trays because the customer had trouble with it in the past. There is something else I've seen today: the fan which is supposed to cool the controller power supply board will not turn. I checked the voltage to it and it only gets 8.7 V instead of 12 V. So I think that something "steals" voltage (like the issue with the tandem tray).
    Thank you all for your input. I'll let you know if I can get it to work tomorrow.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Hmm fan won't turn.. Maybe burnt out the bearings in it. In turn overheating/damaging the control board.

Soooo maybe the control board is Borked.. Guess you wouldn't get into SP modes then...

Technician
    OK, I have tried to turn it on with the paper drawers open, disconnected adf, stacker, disconnected hard drives, pulled the memory out, checked for pinched wires, nothing. The same old story. Can't get into SM. It may really need parts to be replaced. Does anyone have a reliable Ricoh parts supplier? Can I get their info? Thank you!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Scott_Lewis's Avatar
    Have you disconnected the HDD? Had to do that this morning for an MP5500.

That was two HDD problems for me, today.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP9000 SC672

You may have a fan that is speed controlled, so it wouldn't always get 12v. You may also have a secondary LV power supply going bad - If it was a loading problem the supply would "crowbar" and just shut down.

672 could be a poor connection to the op panel or any one of a bunch of things that would cause the controller not to boot. Bad Ram. Bad HDD. Loose connections. Failed Controller board. Bad System SD card. Bad or incorrect Option SD card. Loose Option Board. Failed firmware update. Angry Rampaging Gremlins.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Ricoh has something like "rescue" SD card. You can boot up your copier from this card and perform firmware update. I actually didn't use it just read about that. I've seen the same problem (672) after non proper firmware update.

Vacuum Cleaning Expert 1,000+ Posts iMind's Avatar
    "(SC672) after non proper firmware update" thats what it sounds like, some tech has hit and run... and now they called you.
    We can all Win, but at the end we all loose. Save the greyhound

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar
    I think iMind may be close to the truth!

KopyKat mentioned rebooting from a firmware SD card, this seems like a good idea.

I would prep system and engine firmware of both the new and old types, copy one set (old first?) onto an SD card and try a "door open" boot. If the machine boots to the card select both engine and system together, I have heard that if you add system / engine firmware in the wrong order you can "Freeze" the machine and get SC672 (!!!!!!!) A Ricoh tech support (helpdesk) engineer told me this, apparently he did it! they were able to overcome the problem but I don't recall how.

IF you have a tame customer with a similar machine, I suppose you could clone (borrow?) the nvram / system card and try these in your machine.

I would also look the customer straight in the eye and ask...

Did an engineer attend before you?

Was the machine working (booting up) before he arrived?

If no, what was wrong? (PCQ etc?)

If someone did attend and had the back open check for cables tucked behind the machine frame. I moved a machine with another engineer and removed the control boxes to access through a door. When we powered up the machine would not boot. I asked him 3 times if he had plugged all of the cables in (YES!!!) before a search on hands and knees revealed a cable to the left box (Small, black, below the fan????) had been tucked safely behind the main frame of the machine..... NEVER ASSUME. Don't just look for hanging cables, look for board sockets with nothing in, then for the cable that should be there, if you can't find the cable, check the P to P for the connection.

Technician
    The customer complained about the error, I went onsite and turned it off, then back on and worked. The customer said that they were able to do that themselves but the machine will come up with the error after a while (a day or two). So it did. After a couple of days after I was able to boot it up and make test copies the customer called again. Now will not come back from that SC672. Monday I will try to get more info from the customer and I will let you know. Thank you for everything!